Vagner or Wagner?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Vagner or Wagner?

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Just watched X Factor but couldn't find a recent thread on the subject.

VOV. Vhat is Vagner still doing in the competition?

My Wote goes for either Vatt or Webecca!!
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Vagner or Wagner?

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Louis is pretty disrespectful.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Louis is pretty disrespectful.
Yeah but it's just one big gimmick with him pronouncing it Wagner and then drawing an imaginary 'W' in thin air. A continuous joke that's gone too far and isn't even funny any more. But I do like Louis most of the time.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Varg-na, SIMPLES!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Yeah but it's just one big gimmick with him pronouncing it Wagner and then drawing an imaginary 'W' in thin air. A continuous joke that's gone too far and isn't even funny any more. But I do like Louis most of the time.
I don't get it.

(Although I don't watch the X Factor, so that's probably why.)

What's the deal here? He pronounces his name varg-ner and Louis says wag-ner?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
I don't get it.

(Although I don't watch the X Factor, so that's probably why.)

What's the deal here? He pronounces his name varg-ner and Louis says wag-ner?
Yeah like all the time. And then Wagner always says on stage something to the effect of "Louis my name is Wagner (Varg-na)" (baring in mind Louis is his fricking mentor) and Louis just goes but it's a 'W' so its Wag-na. When someone tells you how to pronounce their name you don't just make your own pronunciation up do you? Simon started joining in on it.

Although in Louis' defence Harry Hill's offspring of Mary Byrne and Wagner is Wagbo and that's pronounced with a normal 'W' sound and not Vagbo.
George F. Jenkins
Rookie

Post by George F. Jenkins »

No problem, the German W is pronounced like a V. The English -- Wagnerian, is also pronounced with V.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

George F. Jenkins wrote:No problem, the German W is pronounced like a V. The English -- Wagnerian, is also pronounced with V.
But Louis is Irish.
George F. Jenkins
Rookie

So am I Ryan, Part Irish anyway. It was my Grandmothers fault.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

George F. Jenkins wrote:So am I Ryan, Part Irish anyway. It was my Grandmothers fault.
Was your Grandmother a bit of a randy mare?
George F. Jenkins
Rookie

No, not in that way Ryan. I meant the fact that she was Irish. You young blokes have no idea of the attitude to sex in my young days. Nobody talked about it, and if you wanted to buy condoms, only barber shops seemed to sell them. Now, you can go into the supermarkets and buy boxes of them laid out in full view of the customers. In my day, an unmarried Mother was a target of disgrace and shame, and the child was usually adopted. Nowadays a lot of couples don't bother to marry, are called partners, and the children carry no shame. they are no longer called Bastards, which I think is a good thing. It also means that the power of that evil organisation called religion is waining. I think that it is quite hilarious that the church insists about the sanctity of marriage, but don't mind about something called god, who is supposed to have jumped into Mary's bed and produced Jesus. What about poor Joseph, didn't he object? If somebody came into my house calling himself god and wanted to jump into my bed, I'd tell him to shove off back into the clouds.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

George F. Jenkins wrote: What about poor Joseph, didn't he object? If somebody came into my house calling himself god and wanted to jump into my bed, I'd tell him to shove off back into the clouds.
Furthermore, they have the cheek to claim Jesus came of King David's line, which they trace down to Joseph, who was no relation to Jesus whatever, being merely his mother's husband. :twisted: