Famous Countdowners...

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Famous Countdowners...

Post by Conor »

...whose fame extends outside of the Countdown sphere (and for more interest, the game show sphere). I was casually reading a Wiki article when the name Ariane Sherine buzzed my memory to Chris Philpot's show, and it's the same one.

CJ de Mooi is the other who comes to mind, and perhaps Jack Welsby for his Tube Challenge record, but I'm struggling. Suggestions?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Famous Countdowners...

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Burnley footballer Clarke Carlisle

Tamworth (then Notts County) footballer Neil MacKenzie
Chris Wills is arguably semi-famous on the quizzing scene i.e. if you watch a lot of quiz shows you know of him

Comedian Alex Horne (which I found quite funny when I watched clips of him on youtube and now he appears on the quite surreal 'We Need Answers' on BBC Three)

Daphne Fowler (Egghead) I seem to recall (after reading her website a few years ago) also went on 'Countdown' and actually said it was quite a negative experience
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Daphne Fowler (Egghead) I seem to recall (after reading her website a few years ago) also went on 'Countdown' and actually said it was quite a negative experience.
Don't think it was her, there's no CDwiki entry for her (under any of her names). You might be thinking of CJ again, who did say on his website that it was a negative experience but only because he was moaning about losing.

What about rugby player Ayoola Erinle? Also you might consider Joyce Cansfield a minor celebrity since she's a regular author of the Times crossword, albeit anonymously. (Or is it pseudonymously? I forget.)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Daphne Fowler (Egghead) I seem to recall (after reading her website a few years ago) also went on 'Countdown' and actually said it was quite a negative experience.
Don't think it was her, there's no CDwiki entry for her (under any of her names). You might be thinking of CJ again, who did say on his website that it was a negative experience but only because he was moaning about losing.

What about rugby player Ayoola Erinle? Also you might consider Joyce Cansfield a minor celebrity since she's a regular author of the Times crossword, albeit anonymously. (Or is it pseudonymously? I forget.)
Yeah just gone back on her website, I can't see any sign of Countdown on her list of quiz shows so cross her off the list.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Ah, Clarke Carlisle! Reminded me of Ayoola Erinle. David Elias (a series champion) wrote questions for the Krypton Factor and The Weakest Link.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Oh and let's not forget Jon O'Neill, who had a starring role in the autobiography of darts fatty Wayne Mardle (and by starring role, I mean one mention with his name misspelled).
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

"That prick from Countdown on Big Brother"
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Charlie Reams wrote:Oh and let's not forget Jon O'Neill, who had a starring role in the autobiography of darts fatty Wayne Mardle (and by starring role, I mean one mention with his name misspelled).
Our Jon O'Neill? And Wayne Mardle's a healthy average by darts' standards.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Conor wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Oh and let's not forget Jon O'Neill, who had a starring role in the autobiography of darts fatty Wayne Mardle (and by starring role, I mean one mention with his name misspelled).
Yep, that one. I actually have no idea what Wayne Mardle looks like, I just wrote that to raise Kirk's ire. Way to spoil my fun!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Conor wrote:
Yep, that one. I actually have no idea what Wayne Mardle looks like, I just wrote that to raise Kirk's ire. Way to spoil my fun!
He's a bit of a prick really. Not one of my favourites. Comes on to the Hawaii-Five-O music in some outlandish hawaiian shirt and some stupid glasses usually. It's really gimmicky and trashy. He's pretty fat though.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

There was the journalist John Diamond, who appeared in Series 9, who was married to Nigella Lawson, until his death from cancer in 2001.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lead singer of The Beloved, whose name I forgot. Something stupid like Crispin or Tarquin, I think.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:Lead singer of The Beloved, whose name I forgot. Something stupid like Crispin or Tarquin, I think.
Something stupid like Jon actually...and apparently he played in nine prelims due to a draw in the eighth.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ian Volante wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Lead singer of The Beloved, whose name I forgot. Something stupid like Crispin or Tarquin, I think.
Something stupid like Jon actually...and apparently he played in nine prelims due to a draw in the eighth.
Well that couldn't have backfired any worse, could it? :evil:

I must have been thinking of Kula Shaker for some reason.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Wow. He even spells it the same shit way.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Danny Sapsford played tennis at Wimbledon.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Joyce Cansfield - crossword compliler

When I once asked her if she was the same Joyce Cansfied who had recently won the Listener Crossword Puzzle, she replied that she'd won a number of them... and was a regular compiler of them.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Howard Somerset wrote:Joyce Cansfield - crossword compliler

When I once asked her if she was the same Joyce Cansfied who had recently won the Listener Crossword Puzzle, she replied that she'd won a number of them... and was a regular compiler of them.
So she cheats.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I think you just inadvertently revealed that I'm on your foes list :evil:
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Charlie Reams wrote:

I think you just inadvertently revealed that I'm on your foes list :evil:
So you are, Charlie. :D

And having read the thread a lot more carefully now, it seems that Ryan must be on my foes list too, cos I can't have seen the post in which he quoted the post from you which I can't have read.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Pete Cashmore he is the editor of nuts magazine, did quite well as a contestant.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

Theres also Ariane Sherine who founded the atheist bus campaign.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Andy McGurn wrote:Theres also Ariane Sherine who founded the atheist bus campaign.
See OP:
Conor wrote:I was casually reading a Wiki article when the name Ariane Sherine buzzed my memory to Chris Philpot's show, and it's the same one.

CJ de Mooi is the other who comes to mind, and perhaps Jack Welsby for his Tube Challenge record, but I'm struggling. Suggestions?
I met this guy last night who went to your school or college or something Conor, Nick Gardner, he seemed quite weirded out when I said we had a Countdown rivalry back in the day.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Andy McGurn wrote:Theres also Ariane Sherine who founded the atheist bus campaign.
She was the first one mentioned!
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Jon O'Neill wrote: I met this guy last night who went to your school or college or something Conor, Nick Gardner, he seemed quite weirded out when I said we had a Countdown rivalry back in the day.
Don't know him, I think. Perhaps he would've been less weirded out if you'd said we'd slept together.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Lead singer of The Refuseniks played against Kai.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

Yeah just gone back on her website, I can't see any sign of Countdown on her list of quiz shows so cross her off the list.
You might be thinking of Jackie McLeod, she has been on quite a few games shows also. I sometimes get her mixed up with Daphne.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Pete Cashmore: the editor of nuts magazine

Nick Saloman :I think he is a comedian but I am not certain about him
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Tracey Anne Mills wrote:Pete Cashmore: the editor of nuts magazine
Ah, nice one. That rings a bell, swear I've heard that somewhere before.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

David O'Donnell wrote:Lead singer of The Refuseniks played against Kai.
This is what he's up to now http://www.myspace.com/thebonvivants
Plenty of gigs around London for those in the area!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

PS - I had to google this as I remembered that band name really well. Think they were a local band the Refuseniks and Cork is small.

EDIT: Just found him on fb (was easy, we've over half a dozen mutual friends) and sent him an aptolink. Keep an eye out for him.

EDIT 2: Of course if I'm honest, I had to check it out as I was sure I was going to be the first Cork muso to appear on Countdown. Alas, not to be :cry:
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Jojo Apollo wrote:You might be thinking of Jackie McLeod, she has been on quite a few games shows also. I sometimes get her mixed up with Daphne.
Poor Daphne.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:You might be thinking of Jackie McLeod, she has been on quite a few games shows also. I sometimes get her mixed up with Daphne.
Poor Daphne.
Nah, she's quite rich actually, you should see the stack of money she's won over the years. ;)