Suicide

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Suicide?

Never
42%
Thought about it
42%
Crossed my mind and almost went through with it.
13%
Would love to
No votes
Fantasise about it
4%

Total votes: 24

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Suicide

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Here's a poll about suicide!
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Re: Suicide

Post by Innis Carson »

Was it you that voted for "Crossed my mind and almost went through with it." then?
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

There is not an option for me to vote for.
'Thought about it' suggests you actually considered it but do not think about it now.

I would like an option that suggests it is a subject one has looked into as a possible solution to possible future circumstances - perhaps towards the end of one's 'natural' life.
I am a supporter of legalising 'assisted suicide' and think the government should change the law so that people whose life has become intolerable do not have to plane off to Switzerland to get help.
I have also read 'Final Exit' by Derek Humphry.

You might be interested in - http://www.dignityindying.org.uk/
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Only when I am watching old episodes of MASH...............or the thought of any new episodes of Big Top :)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Judging by the results, I don't think people are taking your poll seriously Ryan. Maybe encouraging words is better than encouraging votes.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Where's the "I did go through with it" option?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Innis Carson wrote:Was it you that voted for "Crossed my mind and almost went through with it." then?
Quite possibly. Although I would never actually commit suicide. I was steaming when I made this and think it is pretty irresponsible of me to create such a poll.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Hunter wrote:http://boobpencil.co.uk/
Haha. I do have to admit to feeling some relief when she resurfaced over on Derek's forum ;)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Haha. I do have to admit to feeling some relief when she resurfaced over on Derek's forum ;)
And this one.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
And this one.
Well yeah, but that's just the same IP. If she'd been hanging in her living room, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that squatters might have moved into her flat and started using her internet connection, as well as eating her flesh and making basic tools from her bones (squatters are fairly primitive people, as I understand it)

Still, I'm glad she isn't.
George F. Jenkins
Rookie

Post by George F. Jenkins »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Innis Carson wrote:Was it you that voted for "Crossed my mind and almost went through with it." then?
Quite possibly. Although I would never actually commit suicide. I was steaming when I made this and think it is pretty irresponsible of me to create such a poll.
If you do decide to top yourself Ryan, please don't use a train like so many do. One of my workmates was running through Shortlands station on the way to Victoria. He was doing about 60 M.P.H. and he noticed a woman standing at the edge of the platform. She jumped and hit the front of the cab directly in front of the Driver. She slowly slid down the window with her face smashed up against it, leaving a trail of blood. Charlie Figg, the Driver told me that her eyes were open and seemed to be looking at him as she slid down out of sight and went under the train. Charlie of course, had let the dead man's brake handle go, and stopped a few hundred yards further on. Charlie never drove another train an left the railway. I was doing about 70 M.P.H between Meopham and what used to be Fawkham Junction. As I approached a foot crossing a man ran onto the track and threw himself down across the rail. I even saw him wriggle a bit presumably to make himself comfortable, and look up at me. I felt two bumps and stopped a few hundred yards down the track. I rang the guard on the intercom to tell him what had happened and asked him if he was going back to look. He answered "nope", and I was not going see him either. At the inquest we heard how he was picked up. He was in either ten to thirteen pieces, I forget which, and when they picked his head up, his Widow fainted. Before the end of the year, my black wavy hair was grey. I know that your post was meant to be humorous Ryan, and I did smile, but suicide is a terrible business for the family left behind. I have already posted this story some time ago, but I write for the benifit of newcomers.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

George F. Jenkins wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
If you do decide to top yourself Ryan, please don't use a train like so many do. One of my workmates was running through Shortlands station on the way to Victoria. He was doing about 60 M.P.H. and he noticed a woman standing at the edge of the platform. She jumped and hit the front of the cab directly in front of the Driver. She slowly slid down the window with her face smashed up against it, leaving a trail of blood. Charlie Figg, the Driver told me that her eyes were open and seemed to be looking at him as she slid down out of sight and went under the train. Charlie of course, had let the dead man's brake handle go, and stopped a few hundred yards further on. Charlie never drove another train an left the railway. I was doing about 70 M.P.H between Meopham and what used to be Fawkham Junction. As I approached a foot crossing a man ran onto the track and threw himself down across the rail. I even saw him wriggle a bit presumably to make himself comfortable, and look up at me. I felt two bumps and stopped a few hundred yards down the track. I rang the guard on the intercom to tell him what had happened and asked him if he was going back to look. He answered "nope", and I was not going see him either. At the inquest we heard how he was picked up. He was in either ten to thirteen pieces, I forget which, and when they picked his head up, his Widow fainted. Before the end of the year, my black wavy hair was grey. I know that your post was meant to be humorous Ryan, and I did smile, but suicide is a terrible business for the family left behind. I have already posted this story some time ago, but I write for the benifit of newcomers.
To my own surprise (and yours probably), I have missed your stories. Incidentally I don't think Ryan was being humorous.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams wrote:Incidentally I don't think Ryan was being humorous.
This. It was a serious question.

A brilliant story George thanks for this bedtime read. (This is me being humorous. Ok so I'm not funny - I geddit!)
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Suicide is common in my town.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

and if you ever feel that way inclined, give this a listen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beginning_Stages_of...
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

I've had a similar experience. A few years ago I joined a search for a neighbour who'd gone missing after an argument with his wife. I was the one who found him, in a field behind my house. He killed himself by putting both barrels of a shotgun to his chest. I then had to return to their house to tell the police, who were interviewing his wife at the time. I must have been in shock or something, because one of the policemen outside took one look at me and said "Show me where he is". Had nightmares about it for months afterwards.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Liam Tiernan wrote:I've had a similar experience. A few years ago I joined a search for a neighbour who'd gone missing after an argument with his wife. I was the one who found him, in a field behind my house. He killed himself by putting both barrels of a shotgun to his chest. I then had to return to their house to tell the police, who were interviewing his wife at the time. I must have been in shock or something, because one of the policemen outside took one look at me and said "Show me where he is". Had nightmares about it for months afterwards.
I am not surprised, that's awful.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

My best friend of 24 years killed herself on 20th April. :cry: She'd been ill for a long time.

The good news for you guys is that the post's open now... :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I was sectioned a few years ago for what was perceived to be a suspected suicide attempt. In reality I had built up a fairly heavy prescribed drug habit which (and also a fairly healthy tolerance for these drugs), combined with the copious amounts of booze I ingest, had a deleterious effect on my system. Anyways ... passed out ... ambulance phoned ... stomach pumped ... ya da ya da ya da.

At the time it was a moment of shame, and the ultimate trough of failure, in my life. I have come to regard it (in my own ineffectual way) as my moment of renaissance.

I went back to uni and finished an MA that I had dropped out of in '99; oh yeah, I won Countdown: albeit a shit series: no offence Richard Priest or anyone else.

I certainly had no conscious thoughts about suicide (or experienced suicidal ideation as they like to call it) but certainly my lifestyle was somewhat high risk.

What are my views on suicide? (Since you didn't ask I am self-prompting!!) I think everyone should commit suicide at a time that is right for them; death is the only thing you do alone: it is the only thing in life that marks your individuality.

Don't do it because a chick/bloke dumped you or because you failed some bullshit test. I am being patronising now ... but do it when the time is right ... when the cancer/stroke/paralysis threatens to strip you of who you are; tell your family you love them ... then say goodbye.
George F. Jenkins
Rookie

Post by George F. Jenkins »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Incidentally I don't think Ryan was being humorous.
This. It was a serious question.

A brilliant story George thanks for this bedtime read. (This is me being humorous. Ok so I'm not funny - I geddit!)
I had written about this incident some time ago Ryan, with more detail. I was worried at the inquest, because the Copper representing the railway told me that I was in trouble. He told me that the Coroner would have me because in my report, I didn't confirm that I had sounded the whistle. There is a whistle board at every foot crossing. I protested that I had sounded the whistle, but the Copper said that the Coroner would be guided by my report, which meant that I hadn't sounded the whistle. When the Coroner questioned me, it was a case of just answering yes or no Sir. The last question was, "Is there a whistle board for this crossing". I answered firmly, "Yes sir". He then said, " That question is covered then". That Coroner knew that the man intended to kill himself, and he was making sure that nobody else going to get into trouble because of him. That Coroner Ryan, was the only man that I have ever loved. (apart from my own family of course)
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Very moving, George and I do appreciate the devastating effect on train drivers of such awful incidents.
I agree with David (many wouldn't) that life is our own to take if we need to - but I hate those situations when a person has not got the knowledge to be able to take their life without hurting others.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

John Bosley wrote:those situations when a person has not got the knowledge to be able to take their life without hurting others.
Hmmm. I agree that it's their life for the taking (BF & I had a really interesting talk about euthanasia, prob about a week before she did it, (and I still didn't see it coming)) but I think (hope) that there are very few people that could take their life without others being hurt. Even if there's no-one else involved it really does leave a yawning chasm for a lot of people.

And George - top point about the Coroner. It's amazing how, when these things happen, so many people try to allocate blame, even if there isn't any.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Alice Moore
Rookie

Post by Alice Moore »

Jon Corby wrote: Well yeah, but that's just the same IP. If she'd been hanging in her living room, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that squatters might have moved into her flat and started using her internet connection, as well as eating her flesh and making basic tools from her bones (squatters are fairly primitive people, as I understand it)

Still, I'm glad she isn't.
She tasted pretty sour really, but the new skin-scraper works just fine. :twisted:
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Lesley Hines wrote:
John Bosley wrote:those situations when a person has not got the knowledge to be able to take their life without hurting others.
... but I think (hope) that there are very few people that could take their life without others being hurt. Even if there's no-one else involved it really does leave a yawning chasm for a lot of people.
I realised when I read what I had written that 'hurting other people' is a pretty wide statement. I guess I was referring to the actual death - the method and the physical bit - rather than the loss of the person in someone's life. That hurt is unavoidable.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Alice Moore wrote:She tasted pretty sour really
That'll be the bitterness.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Jon Corby wrote:
Alice Moore wrote:She tasted pretty sour really
That'll be the bitterness.
You see - I couldn't reply to this thread after that. I felt so consumed by the subject at the time that I couldn't follow such making light of a morbid issue. But it made me want to discuss the issue, and I've found that a lot of people have thought about it.

I honestly thought i'd be over the dunphies at this stage, promise i'll go to bed after this and try get a lie in. I understand that people here have issues with each other, but I certainly don't with any of ye. That's why I'm able to say what the heck I feel like, and I value your opinions.

I was fucking gobsmacked when I first saw this thread appear but I'm glad it's been taken half seriously. How long do you reckon it would take you to find out if I decided to hop in the river later? No need to call the head police. I'm just shit angry. I'm angry that the rate of suicide on my doorstep is (apparantly, couldn't be arsed to google) among the highest in Europe in what I grew up being told was the friendliest nation on earth. Bullshit. And this goes for all of the UK and Ireland cos we're basically all the one now. We are, in large places, incredibly uncivilised, and we lag behind other nations as such.

Anyway, i'm not a probability genius, so if you've any questions, please contact Jack Hurst.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Just saw this on my mate's fb status:

527 people in Ireland took their own lives last year, today is World Suicide Preventation Day, so try remember the hundreds of people affected by this every day it's time to raise awareness and loose the stigma attached to suicide!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Andy Wilson wrote:loose
I should have checked the spelling before I cut and pasted. But yerrah.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

lmao @ chopsticks comment underneath that video.