Please Save www.gandiseeg.com

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Please Save www.gandiseeg.com

Post by David O'Donnell »

Derek Hazell wrote:This forum used to be so great
These are the words of one on the verge of collapse, let us not let this occur.

Some would call this a time of internecine strife; others would call it a parasitic relationship: whatever your outlook gandiseeg.com performs an important function. We do not disapprove of gandiseeg.com here, we think of it as a blessing: those whose personalities appear to be mutually exclusive are now free to disentangle themselves from one another.

Please do not let this forum collapse; so many amazing posters post exclusively on THIS forum like Sue Sanders, Clare Sudberry, Richard Brittain and Julie Taylor (an expert on scary families).

Where else could you read the rest of Mark Meakin's "jokes"?

Does it offend you when Charlie uses logical argument to dispute your position? Do you hate logic altogether and prefer to rely on folk mysticism and blind prejudice? Or maybe you find Corby's (either) humour to be a little near the knuckle??

THERE IS A FORUM WAITING FOR YOU!!!

A forum of daffodils and snowdrops and barely any references to gang rape (which although commendable from a team perspective does raise certain moral concerns).

PS Dmitry: that's http://www.gandiseeg.com - they love Countdown shit and probability geniuses... probably.

PPS You're welcome, Derek.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Please Save www.gandiseeg.com

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David O'Donnell wrote:Does it offend you when Charlie uses logical argument to dispute your position? Do you hate logic altogether and prefer to rely on folk mysticism and blind prejudice? Or maybe you find Corby's (either) humour to be a little near the knuckle??
Personally I wouldn't be able to deal with it if anyone ever took the piss out of Susie Dent, and would feel that a new forum should be started in such an event.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

:cry:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Leave it out guys. This smacks of bullying now and really doesn't suit any of you.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:Leave it out guys. This smacks of bullying now and really doesn't suit any of you.
Some might say that starting a whole forum about how much you hate someone also smacks of bullying.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

The word 'bullying' gets tossed around so freely that it's practically lost all impact Lesley.

Please explain where there is 'bullying'. Personally I wouldn't have bothered to start this thread, but that's up to Dave and one post/one thread hardly constitutes bullying, does it?

We're having a wry laugh at the expense of people who tried to 'harm' this forum. (schadenfreude != bullying)

Yeah, that was the aim. Take on Charlie. Start a new one, get as many people from here over there as possible.

Fucking funny if you ask me that they're now sitting there replying to spam in Slovak, just to create the illusion of activity.

Ha.

Ha.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I don't see why people are getting worked up about this, Doddy was clearly hammered when he made the first post and Corby... well, Corby. The chairman has a point though- seeking people out specifically for the purpose of taking the piss is cruel, but when someone puts themselves in a position where they go 'let's be having you then' (like Gandiseeg) only to crash, burn and fail on a truly epic scale (like Gandiseeg), well, we can be forgiven a quick titter, right?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Before when all of this blew up it was different - I wasn't aware that many of the personal comments had been posted and could fully understand why you felt aggrieved, and said so.

It wasn't started to specifically say anyone hated anyone. It was started as Derek and Charlie had a row so Charlie suggested Derek start his own forum, Derek left and Charlie locked Derek's user account (which was subsequently unlocked). However, Derek's a kinda chatty guy and liked the idea of setting up his own forum. No problem there. Some people (not Derek) then used it as an opportunity to air their own grievances, and - well, the internet's full of them, isn't it?

You're right - schadenfreude isn't the same as bullying but mass piss-taking and trawling a site to find an instance of spam just to upset someone isn't terribly kind at best. A gang mentality introduced with schadenfreude making destructive comments is... if it's not bullying feel free to insert your own verb.

No-one had felt it necessary to choose between the two before and now many people do they've chosen this one, or neither. I don't see what further piss-taking achieves now. I certainly don't see why you care how active or otherwise another forum is.

You're all bright, funny, intelligent guys and I'm sure you could use your considerable talents and intellect to better effect.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

So if I decided to join the other forum too, would I be looked upon with
disdain or ill-favour?
Just wondered...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lesley, I suggest you take it up with David if it bothers you that much. I don't know why he started this thread (seeing as the main theme had already been done better by me) but like Ben said I imagine alcohol was involved.

I posted a one-line link in response which was to the most recent activity, I didn't go searching for it. (Although there is quite a lot of spam on there, it's the majority of recent activity tbf.)

You're running away with yourself with talk of gang mentality and mass piss-taking. This is one thread with a tiny handful of responses, not all of which are even on Doddy's side anyway. When you start getting accused of bullying though, you've got a right to reply haven't you?

I find the whole thing funny. I can't help that.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ralph Gillions wrote:So if I decided to join the other forum too, would I be looked upon with
disdain or ill-favour?
Just wondered...
Of course not. Nobody has been. The people who are looked upon with disdain (The Sudberies and Sanderses of this world) gained their reputation here.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Jon Corby wrote:Lesley, I suggest you take it up with David if it bothers you that much. I don't know why he started this thread (seeing as the main theme had already been done better by me) but like Ben said I imagine alcohol was involved.
Of course alcohol was involved. It's a blatant Corby rip-off and as he stated it's inferior as a result.

I think gandiseeg performs a useful function: it takes a lot of people whose contribution I do not particularly enjoy and puts them somewhere else. I do not think of this as bullying as I am sure they do not particularly enjoy my contributions either.

Whilst tongue-in-cheek (blatantly ripping off Corby: repeated for emphasis!) I do think that gandiseeg is worth saving for this reason.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Jon O'Neill - that's a nice new avatar picture.
(That's not sarcasm - I mean it! :) )
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

this site is going downhill fast since Matthew Green left.
Only the comeback of the much missed Damian Eadie, would restore things.
Why did he leave now? :)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Personally I wouldn't be able to deal with it if anyone ever took the piss out of Susie Dent, and would feel that a new forum should be started in such an event.
Just in case you were wondering, Gevin, this didn't entirely fall on stony ground.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Lesley Hines wrote:Leave it out guys. This smacks of bullying now and really doesn't suit any of you.
And am I really the only one that thought this was a wind-up, but couldn't believe any of the great and good would actually fall for it?