Octochamp stats

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Octochamp stats

Post by Charlie Reams »

Long-awaited update!

Updated with all octochamps since Chris Davies. It tells you something about the last series that there were 3 new entries into the top 8 octochamps by percentage...
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Re: Octochamp stats

Post by James Doohan »

Even though it'll make pathetic reading, why am I not on the list? Also notice that Jimmy Gough is missing?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

james doohan wrote:Even though it'll make pathetic reading, why am I not on the list? Also notice that Jimmy Gough is missing?
Good point. I'll do that at some point.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Charlie Reams wrote:
james doohan wrote:Even though it'll make pathetic reading, why am I not on the list? Also notice that Jimmy Gough is missing?
Good point. I'll do that at some point.
Was just wondering was there a reason why I wasn't on it, if its an oversight forget about it, would make poor reading anyway
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Quite a lot of Jeffrey Burgin's points seem to be missing, did James Robertson hack the page?

I like reading about lesser known octochamps, you find classy games like this one http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_3800 - I miss old people on Countdown :(
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ben Hunter wrote:Quite a lot of Jeffrey Burgin's points seem to be missing, did James Robertson hack the page?

I like reading about lesser known octochamps, you find classy games like this one http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_3800 - I miss old people on Countdown :(
He was a quality player, sick at 6 small I seem to recall.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Cheers for the update Charlie, I think we all have to agree that ratio is the best indication of a player's quality.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David O'Donnell wrote:Cheers for the update Charlie, I think we all have to agree that ratio is the best indication of a player's quality.
It's pretty good. Personally I'd prefer number of maxes, but that data isn't (currently) so easily available.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Ben Hunter wrote:Quite a lot of Jeffrey Burgin's points seem to be missing, did James Robertson hack the page?
Yeah, His max is listed as 928 which would make it the lowest, but it should be 1048, which would make it one of the highest.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I've added the two Jameses. Please let me know of any further mistakes.

Oh and please could all the octochamps with missing ages let me know your age (at recording, rather than broadcast, if it matters).
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

18 when it was filmed and broadcast.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ryan Taylor wrote:18 when it was filmed and broadcast.
Shut up.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I was actually 17 at the time, not that it matters hugely.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Well, I was 20 when I filmed my first game, and turned 21 before my second game.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Charlie Reams wrote:It tells you something about the last series that there were 3 new entries into the top 8 octochamps by percentage...
I was 51. And I think you mean top 9.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

David Williams wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:It tells you something about the last series that there were 3 new entries into the top 8 octochamps by percentage...
I make it top 8. That's out of those for whom the maximum is known.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote:
David Williams wrote:
I make it top 8. That's out of those for whom the maximum is known.
I think David is doing a funny joke about how his percentage maximum is higher, although he was playing a different number of rounds in a different format.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:18 when it was filmed and broadcast.
Shut up.
Jealous of my youth old timer? :D
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ryan Taylor wrote: Jealous of my youth old timer? :D
Yeah....didn't realise you were so young.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: Jealous of my youth old timer? :D
Yeah....didn't realise you were so young.

You can all fuck right off.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Charlie Reams wrote:I think David is doing a funny joke about how his percentage maximum is higher, although he was playing a different number of rounds in a different format.
Not quite sure why the number of rounds affects percentages, nor how the format differs. Maybe it's similar to the way that football didn't exist before the Premier League started.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

David Williams wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I think David is doing a funny joke about how his percentage maximum is higher, although he was playing a different number of rounds in a different format.
Not quite sure why the number of rounds affects percentages, nor how the format differs. Maybe it's similar to the way that football didn't exist before the Premier League started.
Because the ratio of number to letter rounds was changed by the new format?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:Not quite sure why the number of rounds affects percentages, nor how the format differs. Maybe it's similar to the way that football didn't exist before the Premier League started.
It's a different balance of L/N/C, as Gevin said, and also less statistically significant since you only played 72 rounds instead of 120. I'm sure your percentage was amongst the highest for 9-rounders, but it's not easily comparable to the 15-round days.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

You realise that if the format ever changes again a new generation deems the new way the only way that counts, and all your stats go out of the window. (This all starts to sound a bit serious. Tongue still firmly in cheek here.)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:your age (at recording, rather than broadcast, if it matters.
Does this mean that if I had won our Series it would go down as me being 11? It was filmed the day before my birthday, so I would have been 11 and 365 days :mrgreen:
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Updated with the latest batch of octochamps.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

A few tweaks to mine, Charlie. I didn't have any crucials, i actually got 1/2 nines and i was 24 when I filmed it. :D
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

There seems to be a bit of a glitch in the 9 round stats. Scott Mearns was top-notch, but I don't think he scored 93.5%, and I know he didn't get 648 points in his run. That would be pretty good going even by today's standards!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think a xicount stats page would be interesting too.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Minor spoilers:Jack can't have got 6/6 9's available since he didn't go for TREFOILED despite having it written down.

Also it says he got 7/8 of the conundrums although he only got 6/8 that mattered on the show since he solved FIRSTBORN after the time.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Minor spoilers:Jack can't have got 6/6 9's available since he didn't go for TREFOILED despite having it written down.

Also it says he got 7/8 of the conundrums although he only got 6/8 that mattered on the show since he solved FIRSTBORN after the time.
I believe this was the 100,000th post. It made my dinner time a whole lot more exciting.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Minor spoilers:Jack can't have got 6/6 9's available since he didn't go for TREFOILED despite having it written down.

I believe this was the 100,000th post. It made my dinner time a whole lot more exciting.
Is this a joke I don't get? 99040 on my homepage.

EDIT: [Rhys Benjamin]99041[/Rhys Benjamin]
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:

You're like over 900 posts behind the times, Matt.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:

What number comes up for the url of that post for you?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:What number comes up for the url of that post for you?
Apologies to everyone that I'm not sad enough to check the URL of every post that is made. So what happened to the missing 1000 posts? Deleted shortly after posting I guess.
Unless I'm not picking up on something obvious, or forgetting something vital that has been discussed in the 100,000 posts thread, I'd call it 99000 posts so far then, not 100000.

EDIT: Yup, this is (by your method) post #100011, after I posted it as #100010 and then deleted it and posted again. Opens a new line of discussion then, but in my opinion we're still not close to 100,000. Suck it.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Apologies to everyone that I'm not sad enough to check the URL of every post that is made. So what happened to the missing 1000 posts? Deleted shortly after posting I guess.
Unless I'm not picking up on something obvious, or forgetting something vital that has been discussed in the 100,000 posts thread, I'd call it 99000 posts so far then, not 100000.

EDIT: Yup, this is (by your method) post #100011, after I posted it as #100010 and then deleted it and posted again. Opens a new line of discussion then, but in my opinion we're still not close to 100,000. Suck it.
Ha! How do you find out your total then? I simply typed 100000 into the URL...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:

Ha! How do you find out your total then? I simply typed 100000 into the URL...
Bottom of front page:

Statistics
Total posts 99074 • Total topics 5018 • Total members 1171 • Our newest member LeeHarvey

To be fair, the 100,000 thread thing says "the 100,000th post" as opposed to "100,000 posts" so my speaking up might (or might not) be accurate but isn't massively relevant.

* Obviously can't vouch for differences for anyone using a shit skin.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I'm claiming the 100,000th post.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

tomrowell wrote:A few tweaks to mine, Charlie. I didn't have any crucials, i actually got 1/2 nines and i was 24 when I filmed it. :D
It's cool to see my name up with all the greats, but I was actually 14 when it was recorded.