Apterous on iPhone

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Apterous on iPhone

Post by Matt Coates »

Hi, does anyone know if there are any plans to port the apterous software onto an iphone format.

I think it would be a great seller and would be brilliant to play apterous on the go.

Not sure if Charlie would know how to do this.

I hope so.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Apterous on iPhone

Post by Jon O'Neill »

You know you can't run two applications at once on an iPhone, right?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I think I mentioned before that a bare bones version of Apterous would make a great App.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:You know you can't run two applications at once on an iPhone, right?
*snort*
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Reddan?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Very unlikely, sorry. iPhone doesn't support Java so I'd have to rewrite the entire client from scratch, which would take a good month or two, and there's just not enough demand for that. Also I don't have one myself so I'd have no way to test it.

Apterous on Android, on the other hand...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:Very unlikely, sorry. iPhone doesn't support Java so I'd have to rewrite the entire client from scratch, which would take a good month or two, and there's just not enough demand for that. Also I don't have one myself so I'd have no way to test it.

They should make a TV show out of Apterous!!

I think this has been done before, so apologies to whoever my brain has plagiarised.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Very unlikely, sorry. iPhone doesn't support Java so I'd have to rewrite the entire client from scratch, which would take a good month or two, and there's just not enough demand for that. Also I don't have one myself so I'd have no way to test it.

They should make a TV show out of Apterous!!

I think this has been done before, so apologies to whoever my brain has plagiarised.
IIRC it may have been Jon Corby. Still ALOLd this time though. :lol:

In serious mode, though, a spin off Countdown with some of the apterous variants would be awesome, although probably only a small fan base would be interested in it. I'm sure that this idea has been mentioned before by someone else too. 8-)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

I hope you'll forgive me digging up a relatively old topic, but I came across a company called Innaworks earlier. More specifically, I heard about their software package alcheMo, which allows you to "convert your Java ME applications to Android, BREW, Brew MP, iPhone, Adobe Flash Player and Windows Mobile". Is this worth a look, Charlie? (Indeed, are Java and Java ME compatible/one and the same? Forgive my late night lack of tech knowledge.)

Typically there is no indication of cost but, if this would allow Apterous (or more likely a stripped down version thereof) to be ported to the iPhone et al., it would be interesting to see if there was sufficient demand to make alcheMo pay for itself, or whether it would be spread between four of us with the resultant app costing £100+ a pop. ;)

This all said, I feel I should end by just saying thank you for what we already have - Apterous in its current form is a remarkable piece of work.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Chris Philpot wrote:Apterous in its current form is a remarkable piece of work.
True dat.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Chris Philpot wrote:I hope you'll forgive me digging up a relatively old topic, but I came across a company called Innaworks earlier. More specifically, I heard about their software package alcheMo, which allows you to "convert your Java ME applications to Android, BREW, Brew MP, iPhone, Adobe Flash Player and Windows Mobile". Is this worth a look, Charlie? (Indeed, are Java and Java ME compatible/one and the same? Forgive my late night lack of tech knowledge.)

Typically there is no indication of cost but, if this would allow Apterous (or more likely a stripped down version thereof) to be ported to the iPhone et al., it would be interesting to see if there was sufficient demand to make alcheMo pay for itself, or whether it would be spread between four of us with the resultant app costing £100+ a pop. ;)

This all said, I feel I should end by just saying thank you for what we already have - Apterous in its current form is a remarkable piece of work.
Java ME is a cutdown version aimed at mobile devices. I don't know how different it is and I'll look into it, but I wouldn't be too optimistic.
Lloyd Pettet
Rookie

Post by Lloyd Pettet »

FYI, I don't know if this has been mentioned before but there is a Countdown App now available (59p)for iphone. It is pretty shoddy only giving 2 letters, 2 numbers and a conundrum round in single player mode....I haven't linked up to try the two player feature. Overall, not great.
James Hall
Acolyte

Post by James Hall »

That said, it is still handy for a bit of practice on the train/in the bus queue/somewhere where a computer and decent internet connection would not be available.

Mind you, the dictionary's not perfect either...
__
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

If it's practice you're after, the developers of zyzzyva are making an iPhone version as we speak (having had the necessary $3000 development fee donated to them in the space of about 8 hours) and that has the ODE2r on it, I'd imagine they'll update to ODE3 once they get their hands on a copy.