Top Dog

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Top Dog

Post by Charlie Reams »

I've been working on this new feature for quite a while, so please give it a whirl (it's under the More Stuff tab). There will be an official contest based on it soon, but first I want to test it a bit and fix any issues that arise.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Top Dog

Post by Kirk Bevins »

A mighty fine idea, Mr Reams. It certainly speeds up very quickly. I lasted my target of 12 rounds...do I get something special? :P

Edit: I think you should be awarded the standard items and I think the 9s you get/miss should crop up in chat.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:A mighty fine idea, Mr Reams. It certainly speeds up very quickly. I lasted my target of 12 rounds...do I get something special? :P
You will.
Kirk Bevins wrote:Edit: I think you should be awarded the standard items and I think the 9s you get/miss should crop up in chat.
Hmm, they are supposed to. Will investigate.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Not bad, a fun little diversion. :) Can see a lot of potential in the format, especially if extended to numbers and conundrums.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:Not bad, a fun little diversion. :) Can see a lot of potential in the format, especially if extended to numbers and conundrums.
It'll be different each day :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

After about 25 rounds, the timer started slowing down giving me more and more each round. Is this planned or is it a bug?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Kirk Bevins wrote:After about 25 rounds, the timer started slowing down giving me more and more each round. Is this planned or is it a bug?
Mine seemed to be going much faster than the supposed 45 seconds after a few rounds!

This is really cool, I like how the leaderboard is preserved over multiple days. The scoring system may be a little debatable, as I've been awarded 98% for a pretty half arsed attempt at the numbers (I'm guessing it may be handicapped in some way given my tragic numbers ability?)
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Paul Howe wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:After about 25 rounds, the timer started slowing down giving me more and more each round. Is this planned or is it a bug?
Mine seemed to be going much faster than the supposed 45 seconds after a few rounds!
Yeah, I got this too, the rounds sped up (as Mr. Dog said they would) up until about round 25 (some of the ones around there were probably down to about 5 seconds), but then definitely started slowing down - at some point I noticed that I was ending rounds early again, and by round 36 (which is as far as I got) it must've been back to about 30 seconds.

Needless to say it's an excellent addition to the amazingness of apterous. I especially like Mr. Dog's rakish demeanour.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The increasing time thing is fixed now, cheers.

I've considered making it rotate letters/numbers/conundrums hourly rather than daily (especially because 24 is divisible by 3 but 7 isn't). Out of interest, would people think that was better or worse?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Was hoping that a proper dictionary might be used at some point.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Craig Beevers wrote:Was hoping that a proper dictionary might be used at some point.
You mean one without obscure words like DENOTES and DUALIST?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

How does Top Dog give this game 100%? How does it give any game 100%?
Dave Mattingly

Post by Dave Mattingly »

Kirk Bevins wrote:How does Top Dog give this game 100%? How does it give any game 100%?
Come equipped with a healthy supply of dog biscuits.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:How does Top Dog give this game 100%? How does it give any game 100%?
Because 6 maxes out of 9 is a very impressive performance for Dave Mattingly.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: Because 6 maxes out of 9 is a very impressive performance for Dave Mattingly.
But 100% says he can't do better. Should be max of 99%.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote: Because 6 maxes out of 9 is a very impressive performance for Dave Mattingly.
But 100% says he can't do better. Should be max of 99%.
Would you rather I displayed it as 99.5425706088398%?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: Would you rather I displayed it as 99.5425706088398%?
1 decimal place should suffice, thanks.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote: Would you rather I displayed it as 99.5425706088398%?
1 decimal place should suffice, thanks.
So then what if it's 99.95%? It's not like it's going to be a 100% (lol) accurate metric, anyway.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Michael Wallace wrote: So then what if it's 99.95%? It's not like it's going to be a 100% (lol) accurate metric, anyway.
It makes me happier if it says 100.0% (to 1dp) or something. I don't know. Pedants.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote: So then what if it's 99.95%? It's not like it's going to be a 100% (lol) accurate metric, anyway.
It makes me happier if it says 100.0% (to 1dp) or something. I don't know. Pedants.
It's pedantic to have fewer decimal places? :? As Raccoon says, the metric is nowhere near accurate to 1dp. It's not even really accurate to 3sf, but I think people would get confused if I rounded it any further.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: It's pedantic to have fewer decimal places? :? As Raccoon says, the metric is nowhere near accurate to 1dp. It's not even really accurate to 3sf, but I think people would get confused if I rounded it any further.
Yeah fair enough. I also didn't realise you were only allowed 3 top dog entries per day. Is there a list anywhere of the winners each day? (by score rather than percentage). I played quite well and got to 12 rounds (Top Dog targeted me 13 rounds) and it only gave me 44%. It can go fuck itself.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote: Yeah fair enough. I also didn't realise you were only allowed 3 top dog entries per day. Is there a list anywhere of the winners each day? (by score rather than percentage). I played quite well and got to 12 rounds (Top Dog targeted me 13 rounds) and it only gave me 44%. It can go fuck itself.
There's a rolling top 10 on the front page.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote: Yeah fair enough. I also didn't realise you were only allowed 3 top dog entries per day. Is there a list anywhere of the winners each day? (by score rather than percentage). I played quite well and got to 12 rounds (Top Dog targeted me 13 rounds) and it only gave me 44%. It can go fuck itself.
Where? I only see a list of top 10 percentages...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Where? I only see a list of top 10 percentages...
Oh, by score. No.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

lol