Whixall

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

arnold george

Whixall

Post by arnold george »

Today was the first time I had heard of Whixall since I was a GP there(based on Wem) in 1953 54 &55.I would like to hear if it has changed much.......more of an area than a village in my day.Incidentally what sort of a dictionary says you can't pluralise 'tonnage'?
Arnold George
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Re: Whixall

Post by Lesley Hines »

Hi Arnold and welcome to the forum. :)

All determinations are based on the Oxford Dictionary of English (2r) and tonnage is listed as a mass noun. This is often an area of adjudication but I guess in this case Susie couldn't see cause to pluralise it. The mass noun areas of adjudication are listed in the usage notes at the front, and comprise stuff like foods (e.g. caviar > caviars) etc. that may crop up more regularly in conversation.

There are threads on here about plurals where players get irate about disallowed words! Unfortunately, it won't improve their scores until we can, as group, persuade the nice lexicographers at OUP to change the dictionary (but it does make me feel better when I rant on similar issues (paneers :evil: )).

I haven't been to Whixall though. :|

As an afterthought, expect one of our administrators to move your post; it won't reach a very wide audience here as many people avoid this forum to avoid the spoilers.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Re: Whixall

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Hi Arnold, welcome to the forum.

I lived in Wem for a couple of years until June this year and I used to go running through Whixall. Obviously I can't vouch for how it's changed since the 50s but I can report it's a pretty sleepy hamlet whose roads are friendly to runners (except for the odd monster tractor). I definitely wouldn't call it a village - there are merely a few bunches of houses dotted around fields; it's very reminiscent of the High Hatton area near Shawbury.