Children in Need

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Children in Need

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Just watched Peter Kay's video for the new Children in Need single. Excuse me, I seem to have a speck of dirt in my eye...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Children in Need

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Haha - that got posted quickly. It's the sheer scale of the enterprise that impresses me - the fact that it took two years to put together, the incredible number of copyright waivers that had to be obtained, the fact that it's Bernard Cribbins (pbuh) doing the Wombles' voices, Ringo Starr doing Thomas the Tank Engine etc. I can't be sure but I think I even spotted the Pogles in there somewhere. THE POGLES FFS.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I thought it was amazing - I was in bits! (Sad but true...)

There's 50+ years of kids' TV in there - for anyone else quite as sad as me, here's who hb & I think we spotted but there's a couple in there we can't name:

Bob the Builder, Fifi and the Flowertots, The Wombles, Fireman Sam, Scooby Doo, Thunderbirds, Andy Pandy, Rainbow, Roary the Racing Car, SpongeBob Squarepants, Thomas the Tank Engine, Postman Pat, In the Night Garden, Teletubbies, Bagpuss, Pingu, Koala Brothers, Paddington Bear, Muffin the Mule, Peppa Pig, Sooty and Friends, Little Robots, Camberwick Green / Trumpton / Chigley, Roobarb and Custard, Bill and Ben, Angelina Ballerina.

Not quite sure what the thing with the starfish is...? (edit: Rubabdubbers)

In my defence it was a nice project for the grown-ups while the munchkin was hollering "Again! Again!"

Loved it :D
Lowering the averages since 2009
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Lesley Hines wrote:I thought it was amazing - I was in bits! (Sad but true...)
I've now spoken to four other people and the response so far has been 100% the same. Maybe it's a generational thing (we're all over 40), but for such an ostensibly trivial bit of fun it packs a powerful emotional punch for some reason. My reaction isn't particularly significant or surprising as I cry all the time, but the other half (who never does and who constantly scoffs at my propensity to get teary over everything from Groundhog Day to John Lewis Christmas ads) was blubbing like a baby at the end when I showed him the video just now.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:I thought it was amazing - I was in bits! (Sad but true...)
I've now spoken to four other people and the response so far has been 100% the same. Maybe it's a generational thing (we're all over 40), but for such an ostensibly trivial bit of fun it packs a powerful emotional punch. My reaction isn't particularly significant or surprising as I cry all the time, but the other half (who never does and who constantly scoffs at my propensity to get teary over everything from Groundhog Day to John Lewis Christmas ads) was blubbing like a baby at the end when I showed him the video just now.
Aww. Good time for some nostalgic reminiscence over a nice cup of and some chocolate hobnobs.....oh, you've run out?
:oops:
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Update: there's an HD version here that includes all the end credits and shit, and a look at the making of it here.
Richard Adams
Rookie

Post by Richard Adams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Update: there's an HD version here that includes all the end credits and shit, and a look at the making of it here.
Thanks very much indeed, Phil. A wonderful bit of indulgence

Add Mrs Honeyman to the list
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

That was enjoyable enough, but if I was watching it with someone I knew and they started crying I would call the men in white coats.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Yeah it was good! Didn't cry though, perhaps a bit young. Didn't recognise most of the people.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Yeah it was good! Didn't cry though, perhaps a bit young. Didn't recognise most of the people.
People!!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I was impressed with how many characters were there.
Although some of my favourites were missing, like the Hectors House characters, Bod, Mr Benn, Wil'o the Wisp and Morph.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT