Numbers Attack Tournament - Round 5

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Numbers Attack Tournament - Round 5

Post by Charlie Reams »

Pairings for the 5th and final round

So this week sees the final games, and in particular the Grand Finals: Innis Carson vs Nick Wainwright in Div A, and Matt Morrison vs James Hall in Div B. Hopefully the participants of these monster games will let us know when they plan to play so that we mere mortals can tune in.

Good luck to everyone else and thanks for playing. Please complete your games by next Sunday.

Round 4 adjudications (winners starred)
Simmonds* vs Hulme
Lee vs Reynolds*
Juachan* vs White
Murphy vs Russell*
Gillies* vs Burgin
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Re: Numbers Attack Tournament - Round 5

Post by Darren Carter »

Are we then going to have the winners of those two matches playing to see who is the overall winner?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Darren Carter wrote:Are we then going to have the winners of those two matches playing to see who is the overall winner?
I don't think so, it would be like the winner of the Premiership playing the winner of the Championship.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Or the winner of the Champions League playing the winner of the UEFA Cup :D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Jimmy Gough wrote:Or the winner of the Champions League playing the winner of the UEFA Cup :D
What's the UEFA Cup?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:Or the winner of the Champions League playing the winner of the UEFA Cup :D
What's the UEFA Cup?
I'm still trying to get used to the fact that it's not called the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup any more.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:
What's the UEFA Cup?
I'm still trying to get used to the fact that it's not called the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup any more.
Of course, it's not either nowadays, it's the Europa League.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Darren Carter wrote:Are we then going to have the winners of those two matches playing to see who is the overall winner?
I don't think so, it would be like the winner of the Premiership playing the winner of the Championship.
I did think that, but as it was purely numbers I thought it might be quite close. Obviously if it was a 15-rounder it would be a ridiculous idea.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

James Robinson wrote:Of course, it's not either nowadays, it's the Europa League.

Surely the word 'neither' exists so we don't need to use the phrase 'not either'?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Matthew Green wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Of course, it's not either nowadays, it's the Europa League.

Surely the word 'neither' exists so we don't need to use the phrase 'not either'?
Useful for a subtle difference in emphasis, perhaps?
Shaun Hegarty
Rookie

Post by Shaun Hegarty »

Kieran Child 127 - 151 Shaun Hegarty

Tournament thingy didn't show up so we played a normal game.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Darren Carter wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I did think that, but as it was purely numbers I thought it might be quite close. Obviously if it was a 15-rounder it would be a ridiculous idea.
Well exactly. Most people's ratings are overwhelmingly biased towards their letters skills so Charlie's point doesn't hold at all. I think it would be very interesting to see the two play against each other, even if it isn't "official".
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

When is Mr Stitcher usually around?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Well exactly. Most people's ratings are overwhelmingly biased towards their letters skills so Charlie's point doesn't hold at all.
So you think it's entirely fair that someone who has beaten 5 players rated 600 - 1080 would be judged the overall winner for a single victory over someone who has beaten 5 players rated 1100 - 1900?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Well exactly. Most people's ratings are overwhelmingly biased towards their letters skills so Charlie's point doesn't hold at all.
So you think it's entirely fair that someone who has beaten 5 players rated 600 - 1080 would be judged the overall winner for a single victory over someone who has beaten 5 players rated 1100 - 1900?
No - I think they should play against each other though. And doesn't the Swiss pairs system favour the weaker players in a way anyway? It seems the top two ranked players go against each other each time, so in the final, one of the players has been playing "finals" all the way. So it wouldn't be too far removed from that.

Actually - :oops: - I didn't really pay attention the "to see who is the overall winner" bit in the original post. But I still think you dismissed the first post too easily.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'm not averse to them playing each other, they can do what they like, I just think it'd be a weird way to decide an overall winner. Maybe if I run another NAT at some point (likely), I'll operate a kind of promotion/relegation scheme, or something.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:Maybe if I run another NAT at some point (likely), I'll operate a kind of promotion/relegation scheme, or something.
Sounds good.
peter lee
Rookie

Post by peter lee »

Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Shaun Hegarty wrote:Kieran Child 127 - 151 Shaun Hegarty

Tournament thingy didn't show up so we played a normal game.
Maybe this is something to with the fact that my last week's draw game came up today.
Perhaps something needs resetting, Charlie.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Gregor Morgan 107 - 156 Julie Taylor

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=133123

Gregor had a shaky start, but made quite a good comeback, as he played well in the second half.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jim Bentley 177 - 151 James Robinson
Very good game by Jim. Yet again, more stupid errors by me cost me a realistic chance of winning the game. But, Jim was the deserving winner.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Like Karen Pearson a couple of weeks ago - I am struggling to find Reuben Kay to arrange our game.Any suggestions anyone?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Jack Hurst 175-160 Dinos Sfyris

It was a close game, a battle of 4 large vs 6 small, with me coming out on top due to a couple of unfortunate misclicks by Dinos. Well played Dinos, hard luck with the misclicks.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

In the wooden spoon play-off:

Ian V 158, Jon S 144

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=133435
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Slightly confused: the draw says I should play Andrew Herbertson, who duly beat me; but a tournament match instead came up against Andrew Feist, whom I beat.
Andrew Herbertson
Rookie

Post by Andrew Herbertson »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=133554

Andrew Herbertson 132-124 Hugh Binnie

As Hugh says he had already played a game that came up in tournament mode so don't know what happend there. Anyway good close game nip and tuck all the way.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Hugh Binnie wrote:Slightly confused: the draw says I should play Andrew Herbertson, who duly beat me; but a tournament match instead came up against Andrew Feist, whom I beat.
Indeed. When the blue thing came up, I just thought I had forgotten the draw. But that was not the case....
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

JackHurst wrote:Jack Hurst 175-160 Dinos Sfyris

It was a close game, a battle of 4 large vs 6 small, with me coming out on top due to a couple of unfortunate misclicks by Dinos. Well played Dinos, hard luck with the misclicks.
This game was disappointingly void of sexual innuendo, except for Jack's brother was in the room while we did it.
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Division A:

Innis 137 - 129 Nick

A decent game, Nick made a few slips at the beginning but was close to pulling it back towards the end with good 6 small play. Could have very easily gone the other way I think. Cheers Nick, and cheers Charlie as well for running the tournament.
Nick Wainwright
Series 56 Champion

Post by Nick Wainwright »

Innis Carson wrote:Division A:

Innis 137 - 129 Nick

A decent game, Nick made a few slips at the beginning but was close to pulling it back towards the end with good 6 small play. Could have very easily gone the other way I think. Cheers Nick, and cheers Charlie as well for running the tournament.
Well played Innis. After my disasterous first half I was content in the end to maintain a positive points difference for the tournament as a whole. Thanks too to Charlie for another well run tournament, as always.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Clive Brooker 167 - 187 Gevin Chapwell

Our final round game. Clive misclicked once which would have made it a lot closer. Several flat rounds meant that Clive didn't have much to work with to catch up. I was worried he might start doing 4 large but he stuck with his 2 large. I'm quite pleased with 18 maxes and a 4-1 win record to go away with.

Also, it will be interesting to see where this puts me, as I don't think my "goal difference" is as good as some of the other players.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Clive Brooker 167 - 187 Gevin Chapwell

Our final round game. Clive misclicked once which would have made it a lot closer. Several flat rounds meant that Clive didn't have much to work with to catch up. I was worried he might start doing 4 large but he stuck with his 2 large. I'm quite pleased with 18 maxes and a 4-1 win record to go away with.

Also, it will be interesting to see where this puts me, as I don't think my "goal difference" is as good as some of the other players.
I think 3rd place was faintly possible if one of us had run away with it.

I conceded 2 rounds early on which I should have got easily, so Gevin didn't have to switch to 6 small to try to get an advantage. Thereafter we had a very quiet game with Gevin barely faltering until the game was decided.

Gevin, I'm sure I remember you saying once that you hate 2 large, so I was never going to pick anything else!

If anyone's interested, I'm working on an analysis of this tournament taking into account William Tunstall-Pedoe's ratings for individual rounds, rather similar to the Rachel v Carol analysis I did a while back. I did think about flagging this earlier to give an incentive to players who lost narrowly in an early round, but I didn't want to promise something I wan't sure I'd be able to do.

Thanks to Charlie and congratulations to Innis.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Div B: Niall Seymour 90 - 178 Matthew Tassier

Niall miscalculated in a couple of the early rounds, which seemed to put him off rather for a while. This did allow me to post a good goal difference in the battle for second place.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

I've also got a mis-match with my round 5 fixture. The pairings match me with Scott Gillies, yet the auto-tournament system is trying to give me a tournament game with Gareth Mitchell, who I played in round 4.

I'll play Scott when we can both get online together, and get the result posted here.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Howard Somerset wrote:I've also got a mis-match with my round 5 fixture. The pairings match me with Scott Gillies, yet the auto-tournament system is trying to give me a tournament game with Gareth Mitchell, who I played in round 4.
Yeah - this happened with me too (that is, with my 4th round opponent, rather than Gareth Mitchell).

I think the only reasonable conclusion is that Charlie is rubbish.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yeah it looks like I entered the wrong fixtures into the tournament matchifier. Apologies to anyone who was puzzled by this.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Scott 155 - 148 Howard

Would've gone to a tie-break if I'd not forgotten to declare on one round. I think I'm glad I did forget, cos there's no way I wanted a conundrum.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I completely barfed this Div B game against Josh and he played extremely well, capitalising on virtually every mistake I made.

Josh Overhill 161 - 107 Phil Reynolds

My final tourney tally stands at: won 0, lost 3, had two games awarded to me by default. I'm shit. :(
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Is the automatic tournament thing not working? It still comes up with a tournament game between me and Reuben even though we've played ours. It should come up with a game between me and Jimmy but it doesn't.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

John Gillies
Acolyte

Post by John Gillies »

Just played Supee
Result 143 - 124 to me
going to paste URL thingy- but don't really know what i'm doing
Here goes

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ke ... 3570565400

erm - is that correct? Doesn't look like other results posted.
I'm too old for computers. :roll:

Hope this is ok, Charlie.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Phil Reynolds wrote:My final tourney tally stands at: won 0, lost 3, had two games awarded to me by default. I'm shit. :(
If only we'd been drawn against each other, Phil, then one of us would have had a non-default win. Next time, maybe. :)
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

No tourney box, so here's the result:

Lee Simmonds 137 - 180 Stuart Arnot

Glad to finish the tournament with a win. More please!!
Gareth Mitchell

Post by Gareth Mitchell »

Sent PM to James Levison about our Round 5 game, on Tuesday, still in my outbox. Also sent email, no reply as yet. He doesn't appear to have logged on to the forum since October 19th. Still hoping!
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

Just read the rest of the thread. Congratulations, Innis!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:My final tourney tally stands at: won 0, lost 3, had two games awarded to me by default. I'm shit. :(
If only we'd been drawn against each other, Phil, then one of us would have had a non-default win. Next time, maybe. :)
Would love to play a standard 15-rounder against you some time, Howard. :)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Phil Reynolds wrote:Would love to play a standard 15-rounder against you some time, Howard. :)
If I was Dinos, I'd probably reply saying you can play a round with me any time, Phil. But I'm not Dinos, so I wont. Look forward to a game soon, Phil. :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Innis Carson wrote:Division A:

Innis 137 - 129 Nick

Well done for winning this. And well done to Charlie for organising it.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I arranged with Jimmy Gough 2pm today for our numbers attack game and he hasn't been on. I've even texted him and he still hasn't come on. I have to leave at 5 to go to Cambridge so if he doesn't come on before then I'll [insert word] him. :shock:
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Division B

Edwin Mead 142-136 Phil Collinge

Well played Edwin.

Thanks to Charlie for a very well run and enjoyable tournament.
J.Levison
Rookie

Post by J.Levison »

I haven't been able to get online much this past week so Gareth should be awarded our game as he PM'd me and i've only just been able to reply
Lloyd Pettet
Rookie

Post by Lloyd Pettet »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=134856

Lloyd Pettet 129 - 127 Chris Philpot

Ridiculously hard most of the way through, and a real close affair. Cheers for the game Chris and Thankyou to Charlie for a great tournament.
Barry Evans

Post by Barry Evans »

Karen Pearson 144 - 175 Barry Evans

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=135070
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=135070

Barry Evans 175 - Karen Pearson 144

A very enjoyable game but Barry was just too good in the end - despite suffering from chronic sleep deprivation. By contrast, I was sober and had had a good 10 hours sleep so I have no excuse other than stupidity!!
Tyron Potts

Post by Tyron Potts »

Division B - Me vs Andrew Feist.

I will have to concede this one. Andrew and I had arranged to play in the week, but it's my fault the match wasn't played.

Ty
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ke ... 0430328744

DIV A - Jon Corby 142-148 James Hurrell

Real nip and tuck game going back and forth. I just happened to be ahead at R20 - could have gone either way.

Well played Corby.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Apologies, neglected to post this until now for no particular reason other than making you all think I'm uninterested and cool. That gets the girls apparently.

Division B. 'Final'
James Hall 135 - 138 Matt Morrison

Didn't really feel much like it at the time considering the relatively low score, but I guess this was a pretty good game in terms of being close and exciting.

6 rounds in, I was 17 points down after some solid efforts from James. Round 7 was a nightmare, I was a bit knobbed out about the points I'd dropped and decided to end round early 1 away on 193 (stupid in itself considering 194 wasn't hard), but due to force of habit I instinctively clicked the target itself a moment before clicking end round early, so dropped a further 7 points behind to James' 193. After 7 rounds, 4 had been scored with beatable methods.

The hit-and-miss start continued into a dodgy middle for both, shitty misdeclarations and frustrating misses. I put in a run of 8 in a row in which James missed one he'll kick himself over (r15).
4 behind for the final round and never ahead in the whole match, one of my classic 6-small-but-it's-ok-cos-it's-got-a-ten-in-it technical picks won it for me.

That final round also wasn't a max, and as James was playing from a slow hotel connection (props to him for that and hope it didn't affect his game too much), there was a huge pause after the round ended early where I had to sit in silence expecting James to be entering his better solution, only for the window to pop up for me to enter my method. Phew.
Apart from those stressful circumstances, it was fun winning on a non-max as it was only a few weeks ago I had respected numbers man Jim Bentley spewing obscenities at me because I was pissing him off by scoring on so many 'safe' declarations. Mwu haha.
Julie Russell

Post by Julie Russell »

Sorry I'm late with this. Sent Sarah White a message on Monday and it's still to be pick up.