Any runners/athletes on this forum? + stats

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Tom
Acolyte

Any runners/athletes on this forum? + stats

Post by Tom »

Hi folks, wondering if on this forum there are any runners and how good you are/ what distances you/you've competed in?

From the ages of 10-16 I was always representing my school and from 12-16 ran at county level. Middle distances were my forte, though I'm favourable to the longer distances like 10k upwards. 1500 & 2000m was my best distances where I held the school records for, cracked 8 minutes for 2k by the time I was 13 and beat the school record at both distances at 15 where it stood for 3 years after when I ran it in 5min 05 for 1500m and 6min 36 for 2000m.

Since leaving school running has come in peaks and troughs for me, I was due to run a 10k yesterday but had to pull out through injury. I'm hoping to stay injury free and run one next month.

I've done all distances up to half-marathon and one of my life ambitions is to run the London Marathon in under 3 hours before I'm 30. My best times over long distance are 40 minutes for 10k, 1 hour 6 for 10 miles and just under 1h 29 for half marathon.

As a runner, I've used a tool called "WAVA age grading calculator" (google it to see more) where you key your age and time over the distance in and it comes out with a percentage. 60-69% represents local class, 70-79% represents regional, 80-89% national and 90-100% world class.

As a football fan also, I tried to make comparisons in footballing terms and thought that 80-89% would represent the bottom of league 2 to the top of the championship with 90%+ being the premiership. My best 10k represents top local but my times over 1500m and 2000m as a teenager come out as mid-high regional which I reckon would be northern premier league/confernece level.

Lastly putting in the shows terms, I'd say anyone who could pass an audition would be 80% +, but anyone who could score 800+ is premier league standard and scoring 850 + would get you top 6 in the premiership and 95%. As I have a new PC and can access apterous easily on it, having played a few games I reckon as a premiership team I'd finish around 14th and would get around 92-93%
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Re: Any runners/athletes on this forum? + stats

Post by Ben Hunter »

I came first on sports day once.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I do middle-distance running reasonably well. But haven't yet transferred that ability onto crosscountry as well yet.
Last edited by Oliver Garner on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

I was a useful sprinter in my schooldays. These days, I'm about twice the size I was and I can barely run a bath! :oops:
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

My PBs are as follows. The track PBs were set when I was at school/college, and I've not raced on a track since college.

Track
-----
400m: 1:05.2 (set at school)
800m: 2:29 (set at school, on the same day)
1500m: 4:52 (set at college)

Roads
-----
5km: 17:47 (2007)
10km: 36:49 (2008)
Half: just under 1:22:30, can't remember exact time (2009)
Marathon: 3:09:22 (2005 - the only full marathon I've run)

Based on my half-marathon PB set this year, I reckon I could go under 3 hrs for a marathon if I really trained for it.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I was in the school cross-country team, but never really enjoyed it. I've always been a steady middle-distance runner, never exceptional. Best at 5k is about 20:45, 10k just over 43m, but I've not been running much in recent years due to various injuries and the fact that I don't now live on my favourite route.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

My 7km, 35 minute run the other day is completely crap according to that rating thing.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

I'm low 80's for middle distances but struggle to get over 70 for 5K.