Carol's age?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Carol's age?

Post by Howard Somerset »

Was Carol giving away her true age yesterday? :)

At the end of the programme she was talking about April Fool jokes that have appeared on television, and said that she liked particularly the spaghetti tree which was on Tomorrow's World in the 70s. In fact the spaghetti tree april fool was broadcast by Richard Dimbleby on Panorama in 1957.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Re: Carol's age?

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Well, it's obvious that Carol's memory is very poor (how often does she say "that's never happened before" about something that's actually happened quite recently? Or show not the slightest glimmer of recognition at a joke that's been done on the show many times before?), so its not surprising that she would not only have completely misremembered the details of the most famous television april fool ever, but also imagine that it was a part of her own childhood memories rather than something she'd seen on a clips show years later.

Funnily enough, of the two memorable TV april fools that stick in my mind, one actually WAS from Tomorrow's World (one year they announced that one of the items in the programme would be an april fool and then at the end invited people to vote on which one they thought it was by pressing the appropriate "button" on their TV screen) and the other involved Carol Vorderman (the second and last series of "Take Nobody's Word For It" ended with an item explaining that a TV cathode ray tube is a primitive form of particle accelerator and that if you stick a piece of gold to a TV screen, within a few months the atomic bombardment will turn it into lead). I rather doubt Carol remembers that one, despite being in it.
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

Carol is 134.

She keeps young looking by detoxing and drinking a pint of unicorn blood before breakfast.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie, is it possible to automate it so that whenever Jennifer posts, one appears shortly after from my ID saying "get over your jealousy of Carol, you bitter, bitter woman" ?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

On a serious note, is Carol's ability to do the numbers declining or is it just my perception. It's quite rare for her to get a numbers game that the contestants don't get these days, when I started watching she was unbeatable and although she's still better than the contestants, I'm starting to think it's not by much. According to Wikipedia she's 47 and will be 48 in december, I wonder if she has any thoughts about retiring and if so who would do the numbers in her place? I'm trying to think about a particularly telegenic contestant who was good at the numbers and frankly I can't think of one off hand.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Martin Gardner wrote:On a serious note, is Carol's ability to do the numbers declining or is it just my perception. It's quite rare for her to get a numbers game that the contestants don't get these days, when I started watching she was unbeatable and although she's still better than the contestants, I'm starting to think it's not by much.
I do know what you mean Martin, but I think it's overdoing it a bit to say it's "quite rare for her to get a numbers game that the contestants don't get". I had thought the same thing (I hardly ever used to beat her, but do fairly frequently these days) but I just put it down to my own ability improving (stop laughing everyone) rather than hers declining. After all, you only have to look back at how appallingly bad the contestants were at the numbers in the show's formative days to appreciate how much better us lot have got!

That's my opinion anyway. And I think the idea she should retire is absurd.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Corby wrote: That's my opinion anyway. And I think the idea she should retire is absurd.
I don't think she should retire, and yes "rare" is perhaps a bit much but I wouldn't say she beats contestants "often" either. It's just a matter of fact that she will stop at some time and no I don't think it should be now. I'm just saying, in our lifetime either Carol will retire and do something else or Countdown will stop all together, I'm just wondering what will happen if she *were* to retire.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Corby wrote:Charlie, is it possible to automate it so that whenever Jennifer posts, one appears shortly after from my ID saying "get over your jealousy of Carol, you bitter, bitter woman" ?
Technically no, but I will be mentally inserting that remark at all appropriate junctures from now on.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Corby wrote: That's my opinion anyway. And I think the idea she should retire is absurd.
I don't think she should retire, and yes "rare" is perhaps a bit much but I wouldn't say she beats contestants "often" either. It's just a matter of fact that she will stop at some time and no I don't think it should be now. I'm just saying, in our lifetime either Carol will retire and do something else or Countdown will stop all together, I'm just wondering what will happen if she *were* to retire.

Martin
So what you're saying is that you want her job. :mrgreen:
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Gevin-Gavin wrote: So what you're saying is that you want her job. :mrgreen:
Haha no I did say telegenic, plus I'm not very good at the numbers.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

She is 45, and that is a big surprise.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jason Larsen wrote:She is 45, and that is a big surprise.
Not quite, I think you will find that Carol is 47.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I read a 2-year old article.

Also, if you look at one of the comments someone made on the Youtube video of highlights of Countdown's first episode, you will figure out that I agree with it.
wonderboy

Post by wonderboy »

I don't care what her age is Carol is looking so Gorgeous as ever every day :!: :!: :!: :P :mrgreen:
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Damn straight wonderboy (Virtual High 5)
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

No she isn't. I know this because I have the exact same date of birth as Carol and I'm not 45 either :(
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:She is 45 and that is a big surprise

....I read a 2-year old article.

Jason has found the key to eternal youth, and that has defeated everyone until now.

It works too.

I have just read a poem I wrote for the the school magazine when I was 13. So that makes me 13, right?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I did my math wrong!

That is a surprise!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

DebbiF wrote:
No she isn't. I know this because I have the exact same date of birth as Carol and I'm not 45 either :(
But I remember seeing you on the show earlier this year, Debbi, and there's no way you're a day over 29. Image
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

jimbentley wrote:
DebbiF wrote:
But I remember seeing you on the show earlier this year, Debbi, and there's no way you're a day over 29. Image

I LOVE you!!! :lol:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

DebbiF wrote:.

Shit - he got in first. Erm, there's no way you're a day over 21...
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
DebbiF wrote:.

Shit - he got in first. Erm, there's no way you're a day over 21...
All right Kirk, I love you too ;)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

DebbiF wrote:
All right Kirk, I love you too ;)
:D Thanks. You've made my day.
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

Carol has never made any secret of her age - she'd often said on the programme that she was born in 1960.
steve D

Post by steve D »

I dont' care what age Carol is she's gorgeous in my eyes :P :mrgreen:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Steve, how often do you think about Carol?
steve D

Post by steve D »

Jason Larsen wrote:Steve, how often do you think about Carol?
Why ? only when I see her on Countdown ;)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You're funny!
steve D

Post by steve D »

Thank you Carol for all of your Countdown shows :D :P but I just joined Carol I had a wheep in my eye to as it was her last day on Countdown :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .....
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes, that's right, Steve!