It's ok

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

It's ok

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know that I certainly didn't mean to disappear from here for a while. Something happened to me which shocked me a great deal. If any of you would like to know what it is, please ask me privately. I would rather it be kept secret.

Ironically, tomorrow will be my first day back to work in quite some time, so my posting time here will be limited. I wanted to let every one of you know that everything is ok, and you shouldn't worry about me.

Thank you.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Re: It's ok

Post by Matthew Green »

Jason, did you pen this speech?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

OMG. And I thought Bush was thick.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Those of you who are wondering, please ask me in private.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Okay Jason, I'll ask you this in public instead:

Jason, have you ever written a poem?

And Jason, how do you think American poetry compares to British poetry?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes.

Both forms of poetry are very similar.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Revelation

Post by Richard Brittain »

Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Anyone who knows me will know I know very little about most things, including famous people. There should be no surprise there.
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Jason Larsen wrote:Those of you who are wondering, please ask me in private.
It's almost like you want us to know.
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

None of my business Jason but wouldn't it have been better to have just slipped quietly back in without an announcement couched in terms that invites people to ask you?

I try not to be personal but, having read quite a few of your posts since arriving in this nether world, you do seem to be a rather strange young man.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I suspect that Kirk is actually a big fan of TAFKAP and, in accordance with TAFKAP's wishes, decided to deny the existence of anyone called 'Prince'.

True dedication.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matthew Green wrote:I suspect that Kirk is actually a big fan of TAFKAP and, in accordance with TAFKAP's wishes, decided to deny the existence of anyone called 'Prince'.
Reminds me of the line-at-a-time limerick game in an edition of ISIHAC that produced the following:

The artiste formerly known as Prince
On stage used to posture and mince
Then just for a giggle
Changed his name to a squiggle
And nobody's heard of him since.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matthew Green wrote:I suspect that Kirk is actually a big fan of TAFKAP and, in accordance with TAFKAP's wishes, decided to deny the existence of anyone called 'Prince'.
Reminds me of the line-at-a-time limerick game in an edition of ISIHAC that produced the following:

The artiste formerly known as Prince
On stage used to posture and mince
Then just for a giggle
Changed his name to a squiggle
And nobody's heard of him since.

It's possible Kirk's now curled up, crying in the bottom of his darkest wardrobe at the social stigma of not knowing who Prince/TAFKAP/Squiggle is, and to be honest, with those revelations it's probably best he stays there. Real life (outside the wardrobe/internet/Countdown studio) must be a bewildering experience for him.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Sue Sanders wrote:Real life (outside the wardrobe/internet/Countdown studio) must be a bewildering experience for him.
Aw, that's so sad. :cry:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Sue Sanders wrote:
It's possible Kirk's now curled up, crying in the bottom of his darkest wardrobe at the social stigma of not knowing who Prince/TAFKAP/Squiggle is, and to be honest, with those revelations it's probably best he stays there. Real life (outside the wardrobe/internet/Countdown studio) must be a bewildering experience for him.
Ha I couldn't give two shits who Prince is, or isn't. I'm proud not to know famous people - means I don't spend my life watching TV or reading shitty magazines or watching films and asking who the characters are in it (my mum once pointed Brad Pitt out to me but bugger me if I can remember what he looks like now).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Ha I couldn't give two shits who Prince is, or isn't. I'm proud not to know famous people - means I don't spend my life watching TV or reading shitty magazines or watching films and asking who the characters are in it (my mum once pointed Brad Pitt out to me but bugger me if I can remember what he looks like now).
Do you ever feel like you might be missing out on something by ignoring the entirity of modern culture? There are some good books, films, programmes, records etc as well as all the shitty ones. I'm sure there's some metaphor about babies and bathwater in here but I'm damned if I can remember it.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Ha I couldn't give two shits who Prince is, or isn't. I'm proud not to know famous people - means I don't spend my life watching TV or reading shitty magazines or watching films and asking who the characters are in it (my mum once pointed Brad Pitt out to me but bugger me if I can remember what he looks like now).
Do you ever feel like you might be missing out on something by ignoring the entirity of modern culture? There are some good books, films, programmes, records etc as well as all the shitty ones. I'm sure there's some metaphor about babies and bathwater in here but I'm damned if I can remember it.
O.k Charlie, I'll bite your bait. Is it - throwing the baby out with the bath water?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:[
Sometimes but I think it would be so much effort to start from scratch and learn these famous people. I also struggle to put faces to names so even though I've seen Brad Pitt a few times, I've forgotten what he looks like again. I've resigned myself to being bit ignorant re: famous people and it is frustrating as it fucks me up in quizzes but I suppose I'm different and that's a good thing. (?)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I'm proud not to know famous people - means I don't spend my life watching TV or reading shitty magazines or watching films and asking who the characters are in it (my mum once pointed Brad Pitt out to me but bugger me if I can remember what he looks like now).
I like the implication that being able to recognise/knowing the names of famous people is simply a Bad Thing.

(I'm not very good at it, but I'm not very good at recognising people in general because of my omg disabled, but I'm not proud of it.)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Do you ever feel like you might be missing out on something by ignoring the entirity of modern culture? There are some good books, films, programmes, records etc as well as all the shitty ones.
Sometimes but I think it would be so much effort to start from scratch and learn these famous people.
Call me crazy but I think the point of reading good books, watching good films etc is in order to enjoy them, not to learn the names of famous people.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Call me crazy but I think the point of reading good books, watching good films etc is in order to enjoy them, not to learn the names of famous people.
Yeah, I sometimes watch films and enjoy them - particularly horrors. I also enjoyed reading autobiographies of darts players as I enjoy that kind of thing. Give me a novel though and it bores me.