Ad Maths Problem

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Ad Maths Problem

Post by Allan Harmer »

My daughter is doing GCSE Add'lMaths in year 11 as she managed to get an A grade GCSE a year early.

She has been set a problem that she can't solve. We have tried the internest and physics books to understand the principle required but can't find it

What she is trying to do is calculate the centre of mass of a cone and determine where the balance point is on one of the sloping sides.

Thanks for any help in advising what prinicple is required here.

Cheers!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Ad Maths Problem

Post by Jon Corby »

Made you look :)

(sorry, no idea)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jon Corby wrote:Made you look :)

(sorry, no idea)
Evil C**T (In the light of the recent Nigelgate incident, I've used the clevertabloid press letter, asterix, asterix, letter method to disguise the word CUNT)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

I can do this with integration but I'm not sure she'll have covered that by GCSE?
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Kieran Child wrote:I can do this with integration but I'm not sure she'll have covered that by GCSE?
Screw that. After going at it for a long time I've come to the following conclusion:
SPOILER
SPOILER
OMGSPOILERZ

The centre of mass is 1/4 of the way up from the centre of the base circle.
If she needs to do working, then I did a fuckload, but this may not be helpful, so it may be useful for you to know that that's the answer you're working towards? or you could just state it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The first Google result for "centre of mas of a cone" gives you the answer, assuming you can use calculus, which IIRC is taught in Add Maths.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:The first Google result for "centre of mas of a cone" gives you the answer, assuming you can use calculus, which IIRC is taught in Add Maths.
It's true. It says:
If you cannot use calculus, please close this page immediately. Do not read on. Gone? Good. A solid cone has its centre of mass 1/4 of the way along the line from the centre of the base to the vertex.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Thank you all for your trouble guys. She has only just started the syllabus and hasn't done calculus or integration yet.

I think the teacher set them this to make them think and use it as in into to calculus and integration.

She had sort of worked out that it was about a 1/3 of the way up so now that she knows it is 1/4 the way up she can work back to it.

Rachael has asked me to thank you all very much.

Al