Questions you've always wanted answered

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark Deeks »

In cryptocurrency terms, what's data mining?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Mark Deeks wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:37 am In cryptocurrency terms, what's data mining?
I read an article a bit ago that touched on this, although I couldn't quote work out if it hadn't really explained what 'mining' is or if it had and I was just too stupid to understand it. It's in bullet point 6. The gist of it appears to be this:

"Bitcoin mining is the process of adding new groups of transactions (known as blocks) to the shared transaction record (known as the blockchain)."

Doesn't make things any clearer for me but maybe I'm missing some illuminating piece of knowledge.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is that what Mark was asking? There's bitcoin mining and there's data mining, which I'm not aware of any link to bitcoin.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Oh, I thought it was the same thing. Maybe I understood it even less than I thought.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

3 cans of Strongbow Dark fruits and i feel drunk.
Am I a lightweight?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Why don't people riding or leading a horse down a public street clean up their (horses') poo? Are they supposed to / are there laws about these things? Has anyone ever seen someone clean it up?
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Adam Gillard wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:51 pm Why don't people riding or leading a horse down a public street clean up their (horses') poo? Are they supposed to / are there laws about these things? Has anyone ever seen someone clean it up?
It's been long since established that horse people are not to be trusted, so it would be surprising if they bothered to clean up any poo, whether from themselves or from their horse. I've also wondered about laws, but I think maybe it's exempt because horse poo isn't quite as toxic or nasty as dog poo, and you could probably have it in a sandwich without coming to too much harm. I wouldn't try it though.

Well, it seems there's various discussion on the internet and to pick one random web page
Unlike with dogs, there is no legal requirement for horse owners to clean up their animals’ mess; however section 161 of the Highways Act 1980, makes it an offence to deposit anything whatsoever on a highway which may injure or endanger other road users.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Why do they sing 30 years of hurt in the three Lions song that came out in 1996.
Surely after winning the world cup there isnt any hurt until 1970 when we got knocked out
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:47 am Why do they sing 30 years of hurt in the three Lions song that came out in 1996.
Surely after winning the world cup there isnt any hurt until 1970 when we got knocked out
I've always thought that, but it would presumably be from 1968 as they lump in the Euros and World Cup together.

Though as I've said, if England do win on Sunday at some point it will sink in that it's just some regional tournament. 55 years and counting regardless of the result.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Why have people recently taken to using a capital B in "black" to describe people? Pretty sure it's a recent thing anyway.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:32 pm Why have people recently taken to using a capital B in "black" to describe people? Pretty sure it's a recent thing anyway.
I swear I recently read something about this on BBC but a quick Ecosia/Google search hasn't found it up so maybe I read it somewhere else. All I could find were reports about specific journalistic entities deciding to do it that way. The most influential of those seems to be the Associated Press, and their move is reported on here.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Callum Todd wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:36 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:32 pm Why have people recently taken to using a capital B in "black" to describe people? Pretty sure it's a recent thing anyway.
I swear I recently read something about this on BBC but a quick Ecosia/Google search hasn't found it up so maybe I read it somewhere else. All I could find were reports about specific journalistic entities deciding to do it that way. The most influential of those seems to be the Associated Press, and their move is reported on here.
Thanks. I'd found that article actually and was about to link it here but you beat me to it!

Most "racial" descriptions are capitalised anyway because they are a word that would be capitalised anyway, not because they are of elevated status - e.g. Asian. I see why they've done this but it seems a bit unnatural to me.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:45 pm Most "racial" descriptions are capitalised anyway because they are a word that would be capitalised anyway, not because they are of elevated status - e.g. Asian. I see why they've done this but it seems a bit unnatural to me.
I feel really uncomfortable when black people and white people are referred to as "blacks" and "whites". This is especially prevalent in America, where it seems ubiquitious regardless of political alignment/bias. I cringe extremely hard every time I hear it. That sounds unnatural to me, almost like I'm hearing someone casually use a racist epithet.

Edit:
Although to be fair I don't have the same instictual reaction to peole being referred to as "Asians" or "Europeans" rather than "Asian people" or "European people" for example, so maybe I'm just being over sensitive to the 'racial' nature of those words. Maybe it's a linguistic thing, I dunno.
Last edited by Callum Todd on Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Like "gays" as well.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:15 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:47 am Why do they sing 30 years of hurt in the three Lions song that came out in 1996.
I've always thought that, but it would presumably be from 1968 as they lump in the Euros and World Cup together.

Though as I've said, if England do win on Sunday at some point it will sink in that it's just some regional tournament. 55 years and counting regardless of the result.
Coincidentally it's addressed here as well.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:00 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:15 am

Coincidentally it's addressed here as well.
It was me reading this that brought me here in the first place 😊
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Why is Three Lions sung by two David Baddiels but just one Frank Skinner?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:58 am Why is Three Lions sung by two David Baddiels but just one Frank Skinner?
wat
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

I believe it to be an "Ian Broudie looks quite similar to David Baddiel" joke, m'lud.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Good. That's dealt with then.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:44 pm
Adam Gillard wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:51 pm Why don't people riding or leading a horse down a public street clean up their (horses') poo? Are they supposed to / are there laws about these things? Has anyone ever seen someone clean it up?
It's been long since established that horse people are not to be trusted, so it would be surprising if they bothered to clean up any poo, whether from themselves or from their horse. I've also wondered about laws, but I think maybe it's exempt because horse poo isn't quite as toxic or nasty as dog poo, and you could probably have it in a sandwich without coming to too much harm. I wouldn't try it though.

Well, it seems there's various discussion on the internet and to pick one random web page
Unlike with dogs, there is no legal requirement for horse owners to clean up their animals’ mess; however section 161 of the Highways Act 1980, makes it an offence to deposit anything whatsoever on a highway which may injure or endanger other road users.
Interesting, thanks for researching that, Gev.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Fred Mumford wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:55 am I believe it to be an "Ian Broudie looks quite similar to David Baddiel" joke, m'lud.
Oh right, must have changed since I last looked.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:50 am
Fred Mumford wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:55 am I believe it to be an "Ian Broudie looks quite similar to David Baddiel" joke, m'lud.
Oh right, must have changed since I last looked.
It's been like that for years. You need to be more observant.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

When people have a blood test, why do they feel the need to pluralise "blood"?
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

My blood test went brilliantly - got A+.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fred Mumford wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:16 pm My blood test went brilliantly - got A+.
Did you win anything? I got a Ian Duncan-Smith.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:47 pm When people have a blood test, why do they feel the need to pluralise "blood"?
I think it's because they run multiple tests on the blood sample, so you're actually having blood tests done rather than 'a blood test'. So 'bloods' is shorthand for 'blood tests'.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Why is it when its 30C in the UK i find it unbearable, but when i am abroad i am fine with it?
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:13 am Why is it when its 30C in the UK i find it unbearable, but when i am abroad i am fine with it?
Largely the humidity I think - even 40C in low humidity can feel better than 30C in typical UK levels.

Plus places that regularly get those temperatures are generally better set up for them inside, and so it's a lot easier to get periods of relief from the heat
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Thomas Cappleman wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:45 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:13 am Why is it when its 30C in the UK i find it unbearable, but when i am abroad i am fine with it?
Largely the humidity I think - even 40C in low humidity can feel better than 30C in typical UK levels.

Plus places that regularly get those temperatures are generally better set up for them inside, and so it's a lot easier to get periods of relief from the heat
Kinda make sense.
Today feels hotter than a crack heads spoon on giro day 😊
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Why is a red onion so called when it's clearly purple
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Why do F1 commentators refer to the starting grid as being formed in rows of 2 when they are clearly rows of 1? The car starting 2nd is as far behind pole as it is ahead of the car starting 3rd.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fred Mumford wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:50 pm Why do F1 commentators refer to the starting grid as being formed in rows of 2 when they are clearly rows of 1? The car starting 2nd is as far behind pole as it is ahead of the car starting 3rd.
It's just tradition I think. They used to be more row like. To give a random example, you can kind of see it at the start of this race.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Thank you - yes it was around 1980 that the grids became staggered all the time rather than genuinely side by side (I'm a motorsport history obsessive actually, knowing far more about eg the 1956 season than 2021), but this particular quirk has always confused me.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Today's race was quite interesting. Let me know if you agree, when you watch it in 2086.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Mark Deeks wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:37 am In cryptocurrency terms, what's data mining?
This is probably the best introductory video I've seen.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Why is it that the BCG vaccination (for tuberculosis) is so much more severe than other vaccinations and leaves a scar?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Why is it if I fry 2 eggs I can fit them nicely on two pieces of toast.
But if I use the same sized eggs to make scrambled eggs I barely cover one piece of toast.
Surely the surface area should be the same
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

If you buy chips to eat now and they are in the conical shaped wrapping, how can you evenly distribute the salt and Vinegar effectively?
I usually end up with an over salty top layer and a Vinegar puddle on the bottom
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

people really don't care enough about salt and vinegar

I distinctly remember when we used to get kids cones from a chip shop in Winchester they would half-fill it, apply salt and vinegar, then repeat to fill the cone. You'd still get the vinegar puddle at the bottom, which is probably unavoidable, but at least the salt would be better distributed.

I've always thought the correct way to do it is salt-vinegar-salt as well, I think the first lot of salt helps catch the vinegar and prevent it just running through.

I always ask for "heavy salt and vinegar" after I heard someone in the industry use the term "heavy" and enjoyed it. I think one of the primary judgements of a chip shop I'll make is how they season chips.

For a long time I would ask for chips open rather than wrapped just as that often meant you were able to do the salt and vinegar yourself. Even if I didn't want them open. That was obviously only ever a possibility depending on a particular shop's setup and likely never a possibility any more in these times.

I really do care a lot about salt and vinegar.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:09 pm people really don't care enough about salt and vinegar

I distinctly remember when we used to get kids cones from a chip shop in Winchester they would half-fill it, apply salt and vinegar, then repeat to fill the cone. You'd still get the vinegar puddle at the bottom, which is probably unavoidable, but at least the salt would be better distributed.

I've always thought the correct way to do it is salt-vinegar-salt as well, I think the first lot of salt helps catch the vinegar and prevent it just running through.

I always ask for "heavy salt and vinegar" after I heard someone in the industry use the term "heavy" and enjoyed it. I think one of the primary judgements of a chip shop I'll make is how they season chips.

For a long time I would ask for chips open rather than wrapped just as that often meant you were able to do the salt and vinegar yourself. Even if I didn't want them open. That was obviously only ever a possibility depending on a particular shop's setup and likely never a possibility any more in these times.

I really do care a lot about salt and vinegar.
Yeah, me too unless I'm buying curry sauce.
My favourite chippy in Essex would always allow me to lean over the counter and salt and Vinegar my chips before wrapping them up in that conical shape.
This is very much frowned on in Kent.
Oh and as for those wooden forks they give you, nah I'm old school and don't mind risking second degree burns if i have a freshly cooked bag of chips
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

The song My Sharona.

Sharona is not a name. Sharon is a name. Why not pick a real name that had the requisite number of syllables then amend a real name to fit, but that now just sounds stupid?
Last edited by Fred Mumford on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

And whilst we're on music, is the Bryan Adams/Mel C collaboration When You're Gone a rip off of Albert Hammond's It Never Rains In Southern California?
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Fred Mumford wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:40 pm The song My Sharona.

Sharona is not a name. Sharon is a name. Why not pick a real name that had the requisite number of syllables then amend a real name to fit, but that now just sounds stupid?
Wikipedia wrote: When Doug Fieger was 25 years old, he met 17-year-old Sharona Alperin, who inspired a two-month-long run of songwriting, as well as eventually becoming his girlfriend for the next four years.
I think that clears that one up.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fred Mumford wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:06 pm And whilst we're on music, is the Bryan Adams/Mel C collaboration When You're Gone a rip off of Albert Hammond's It Never Rains In Southern California?
This could have its on thread.
The Air that I Breathe by The Hollies is so like Creep by Radiohead.
Also the new (comeback)hit by Texas.. Call Me if You Wanna is a rip off of their own hit Say What You Want.
Mind you that is common.
I remember that if you could play a Big Country single at different speeds it was the same as their album
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

https://inews.co.uk/news/john-whittingd ... rticle-top

So government ministers want to mandate that public broadcasters produce shows that are distinctly British. They mention a number of shows already produced that fit the bill but what shows being produced don't I wonder? They never say. Which shows currently produced in Britain don't reflect "Britishness"?
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

I don't know but I find this part of the article amusing
By contrast many of the shows on streaming platforms appear “generic” because they are designed by algorithm to appeal to a global audience.
I'd love to know which shows were designed by an algorithm. I bet the creator of that algorithm is rolling in it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:43 am I don't know but I find this part of the article amusing
By contrast many of the shows on streaming platforms appear “generic” because they are designed by algorithm to appeal to a global audience.
I'd love to know which shows were designed by an algorithm. I bet the creator of that algorithm is rolling in it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe this was a joke John Whittingdale made and it got lost in translation?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

If Derry Girls was quintessentially British it would be called Londonderry Girls.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Why do cats push stuff off ledges?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Mark Deeks wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:17 pm Why do cats push stuff off ledges?
Cats push stuff around all the time. They are very dependent on their instincts around exploring territory and hunting for prey. It's part of their instinct to prod and push around objects with their paw to see what it is, if it's worth eating, or if it might be a threat (see also: cats react to cucumbers).

As for why they particularly tend to push stuff off ledges, I'm not sure that they do. I would guess that they just push anything, but obviously if something is near the edge of a ledge then the cat pushing it will make it fall off the ledge especially as given the item is on the edge, the cat must be on the other side of it as there would be no space for the cat to sit/stand between the object and the edge of the ledge, so therefore the cat will be pushing it towards the edge and it's likely to drop. If it is true that objects close to the edge of surfaces are of more interest to cats than objects in the open, I'm not sure why that would be other than maybe that making something fall would be a good way to injure it if it's prey or predator.

This behaviour is more prevalent in kittens than adults as they're very curious and explorative. But even in adult domestic cats it's still likely to be common as adult domesticated cats are infantilised compared to wildcats, as their human owner effectively takes on the role of parent. See also: why cats purr.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Why is it more acceptable to mock someone over their height than their weight, even though we have much more control and choice over the latter?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fred Mumford wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:59 pm Why is it more acceptable to mock someone over their height than their weight, even though we have much more control and choice over the latter?
This is just the tip of the iceberg. There's a long list of things you can and can't mock people for with no good reason for the distinction.

But in this case, I'm not sure it is the case particularly (that it's acceptable to mock people for their height anyway). But it basically comes from the fact that people are routinely and harshly mocked for their weight and so there has been some fight back against that. Because people get blamed for their weight, the mocking is proportionally worse.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:20 am
Fred Mumford wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:59 pm Why is it more acceptable to mock someone over their height than their weight, even though we have much more control and choice over the latter?
This is just the tip of the iceberg. There's a long list if things you can and can't mock people for with no good reason for the distinction.

But in this case, I'm not sure it is the case particularly (that it's acceptable to mock people for their height anyway). But it basically comes from the fact that people are routinely and harshly mocked for their weight and so there has been some fight back against that. Because people get blamed for their weight, the mocking is proportionally worse.
Where is the Ginger backlash?
Tall people also get mocked tbf
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Ha, this feels relatable. Many's a time I've been on the receiving end of some sort of jibe about my height. Mainly from people I was at school with, despite the fact I'm really not even that short now (around 5'6, so I'm below average but not exactly a midget).

Not that I mind being below average in the height area, since this generally correlates with a longer lifespan and therefore I'll get the final laugh over my tall companions.
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:31 am I'll get the final laugh over my tall companions.
You mean under them, surely? :lol:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

How can there be an excess of and shortage of CO2 at the same time?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:03 pm How can there be an excess of and shortage of CO2 at the same time?
How do people die of thirst in the middle of the ocean?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:23 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:03 pm How can there be an excess of and shortage of CO2 at the same time?
How do people die of thirst in the middle of the ocean?
Yeah, I mean I just think it's strange that I've never heard anyone on any news saying how "ironic" it is or making any connection.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Whatever happened to the Bermuda Triangle? Are things still getting lost there. You don't hear about it much these days.