Internet Explorer 8

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Internet Explorer 8

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Does anyone here use IE8, or is a joke amongst those in the know? Since I've been using it I've found that when I get to the bottom of a typing box in a forum, the screen starts bouncing around and it's really hard to continue properly. Also it doesn't seem to select text properly. I think there was something else I was going to say as well, but I can't think of it now. Has anyone else found these problems?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Internet Explorer 8

Post by Matt Morrison »

It's probably not the answer you want, and sorry if I piss you off, but http://www.firefox.com. Nothing more I can say.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:It's probably not the answer you want, and sorry if I piss you off, but http://www.firefox.com. Nothing more I can say.
I'm quite happy to consider changing browser, but I'd first like to know if it's just me or if this is a genuine problem with IE8.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

I've not had any problems with IE8, although I hardly use it. I use Google Chrome instead because it's miles faster.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I'm quite happy to consider changing browser, but I'd first like to know if it's just me or if this is a genuine problem with IE8.
Not being able to use a text entry box sounds pretty dodgy to me, I'd expect it to be a problem your end because if it was a bug with IE8 in general, you'd really hope (even given Microsoft's ineptitude) that this sort of bug would have been stamped out before release.

That said, I did have some potential hits when searching for "phpbb ie8 screen moving":
  • This one sounds like a similar problem with phpBB. They blame textarea boxes (which are what you type into to make a post as you described) but doesn't really offer a solution, other than noting it is a stylesheet issue so specific to a particular skin - try changing the C4C skin and see if that makes a difference. They did also include a link to this Microsoft feedback report which might be familiar.
  • This guy, SteveL, says "when trying to reply to posts on other sites when you start to type it will scroll down to the bottom and you can not see what you are typing... You scroll up then start to type again and it scrolls down to the bottom..." but finds no solution other than to uninstall IE8 and use something else.
Other than trying another skin, try checking Windows Update for security fixes to IE8, update graphics drivers, and then finally accept that Firefox is the way to go. :) Good luck.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thank you for the help. Interestingly this isn't the only forum this happens in so maybe the other one is the same "brand" of forum.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Thank you for the help. Interestingly this isn't the only forum this happens in so maybe the other one is the same "brand" of forum.
Yes, I forgot to mention that. phpBB pretty much IS forums on the Internet. There must be hundreds of thousands of forums that use this same software with different skins.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

I use IE8 and find that most of the problems I experience are totally of my own making.
Well that goes for Word and Excel as well come to think of it.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum