Interview with Rachel in the Daily Mail

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Interview with Rachel in the Daily Mail

Post by Martin Bishop »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... grief.html

Not a bad little article, although the rubbish about ratings is brought up again.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Re: Interview with Rachel in the Daily Mail

Post by Derek Hazell »

She looks a lot more beautiful in that picture than she does on the show. Maybe that is why those who have seen her in the flesh are so enamoured.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Derek Hazell wrote:She looks a lot more beautiful in that picture than she does on the show. Maybe that is why those who have seen her in the flesh are so enamoured.
You are right Derek. That is a beautiful picture.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Derek Hazell wrote:She looks a lot more beautiful in that picture than she does on the show. Maybe that is why those who have seen her in the flesh are so enamoured.
In the flesh, she's probably the best-looking person I've ever seen in my life, which I was really not expecting. On the telly she obviously looks good, but when you're sitting 4 foot away from her she really is stunning.

Is a new series really being filmed next month? I swear the finals for this one haven't been recorded yet? And what a load of bullshit with that thinly-veiled link between her stint on the show and the supposed drop in ratings- firstly, the ratings have not halved and secondly, even if they have, I am certain that bringing in a drop-dead gorgeous blonde and one of the best and witty presenters on the telly has had nothing to do with it.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:
In the flesh, she's probably the best-looking person I've ever seen in my life, which I was really not expecting. On the telly she obviously looks good, but when you're sitting 4 foot away from her she really is stunning.

Is a new series really being filmed next month? I swear the finals for this one haven't been recorded yet? And what a load of bullshit with that thinly-veiled link between her stint on the show and the supposed drop in ratings- firstly, the ratings have not halved and secondly, even if they have, I am certain that bringing in a drop-dead gorgeous blonde and one of the best and witty presenters on the telly has had nothing to do with it.
Yeah, definitely agree with you there, Jeff. When you first see her, you think to yourself (or I did anyway), "Blumming heck, what a stunner!" You just can't believe she's that close to you. Your eyes are just transfixed on her and it's hard to remove them from this gorgeous sight. Rachel is just the most amazing person in the world.

And to answer your second point, no, the next series isn't being recorded next month. The remaining episodes for this series are recommencing next month. The finals aren't being recorded until November 17th & 18th. I should know, I'm on the waiting list for tickets :!:
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote: In the flesh, she's probably the best-looking person I've ever seen in my life, which I was really not expecting. On the telly she obviously looks good, but when you're sitting 4 foot away from her she really is stunning.
Absolutely - the cameras don't do her justice.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Darren Carter wrote:
Jeffrey Burgin wrote: In the flesh, she's probably the best-looking person I've ever seen in my life, which I was really not expecting. On the telly she obviously looks good, but when you're sitting 4 foot away from her she really is stunning.
That's really interesting, thanks. Working in Oxford is a real banquet for the eyes as there are so many gorgeous students around, so I think that is why I just categorised Rachel looks-wise as another one of that lot, without getting so excited as many of the rest of you. :)

I have managed to get hold of an original of this article from Saturday's Daily Mail magazine, if anyone wants it. Of course, you could always check your neighbours' recycle box, as I am sure no one here buys that paper. ;)
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Thanks for the link, good to see them doing their research on Carol's alma mater...
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

That shit article wrote:Having spent a delightful hour and- a-half with Rachel, I think it's about time we all gave the girl a break.
How were they ever justified in abusing her in the first place?
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

you guys are strange :D
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Darren Carter wrote:
That's really interesting, thanks. Working in Oxford is a real banquet for the eyes as there are so many gorgeous students around, so I think that is why I just categorised Rachel looks-wise as another one of that lot, without getting so excited as many of the rest of you. :)
I think the over-representation of fit girls in Oxbridge needs some explaining. Theories I've heard:

* The interviewers select them to make life enjoyable for themselves.
* Intelligent males with lots of money score good looking women and hence having good looking but intelligent offspring.
* Oxbridge students are already well-off financially which means they can buy good makeup and afford good hairdos.

Disclaimer: these theories were passed on to me by bitter people, and I personally have never been to Oxbridge or Cambridge to assess the attractiveness of their populations.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Rebecca Hardy of the Daily Mail wrote:And Oxford was where she met fellow graduate, Jamie, who, like her, is a keen sportsman.
More slapdash journalism from the Daily Mail. Unless she's had some remarkable gender reassignment surgery, Rachel is definitely not a sportsman. Maybe Rebecca Hardy is too young to learn from the similar mistake made by A Tribe Of Toffs - "John Kettley is a weatherman... and so is Wincey Willis."

Seriously, whilst "batsman" is often used to refer to female cricketers, "sportsman" is never correct for a woman.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I couldn't find the "Countdown in the news" thread, and this seemed the most recent similar topic, so check out this quality piece of journalism.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Have these journalists got better to do! It was even shown 2 days ago!