Countdown Chat Room

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Chris Corby
Devotee

Countdown Chat Room

Post by Chris Corby »

Now this forum is up and running so successfully :P is it very difficult to add a live chat room? What fun it would be to log on and see, for example, that my son is also logged on so we could have a father-son chat that everyone could be party to. Any advice given would be so appreciated.............
JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: Countdown Chat Room

Post by JimBentley »

Chris Corby wrote:Now this forum is up and running so successfully :P is it very difficult to add a live chat room?
I agree! Excellent idea. It would mean that online games could go on there and everything.
Chris Corby wrote:What fun it would be to log on and see, for example, that my son is also logged on so we could have a father-son chat that everyone could be party to...
I would be disturbed by this, but also strangely compelled and...attracted, even.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

To be honest, I think most people would use Messenger when it comes to live chatting and games. If someone does make a chatroom though it might be good.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I think there was one but it never got that popular. I think this community is slightly too small to sustain it, and Messenger works better, but that might change in the future. If anyone else disagrees and wants to set one up then I wouldn't be against it.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

yarrr - I set one up in the hope of also writing a bot who could play countdown with people (rather than needing a host), but since I'm only a wannabe script kiddie, I lacked the compsci-fu to make it better than people just hosting themselves, and whilst I still think a chat room would be better for playing games in as we do now (since it's 'permanent', people can just drop in and out whenever, rather than just when people are playing games and so everyone gets invited to the conversation), I get the impression that what we have now works well enough for most people, and it's more of a faff than it's worth for most of them

'course, I think a countdown playing IRC bot would be enough to lure people over, but unless someone more competent at perl than me can be bothered to write one, or I spend my summer doing it (possible, although I should really be writing a dissertation), I can't see it happening any time soon
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:yarrr - I set one up in the hope of also writing a bot who could play countdown with people (rather than needing a host)
Do you mean a bot that automatically askes questions and awards points to the first person to get the answer, eg something like this: This was taken from 24th October 2002 ;).

»ŹŐËŶ«™ : 617. Quotes: I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying.?
Elle19712 : Hi Mum
»ŹŐËŶ«™ : Answer: ***** *****
the_nutballs_mum1 : I'm watching
PaulFmDorset : mum has got it on
Elle19712 : cool.
the_nutballs_mum1 : just told Paul the scores
the_nutballs_mum1 : hi elle
»ŹŐËŶ«™ : Here's a hint: Woody *****
Elle19712 : woody allen
the_nutballs_mum1 : woody allen
PaulFmDorset : i'm trying to work but mum is stopping me!
»ŹŐËŶ«™ : Winner: the_nutballs_mum1 Answer: Woody Allen Time: 25.438 Streak: 1 Points: 457 WPM: 5 Rank: 3rd

There was also another bot that was designed to give you a random set of letters and you had to type as many words as you could in a time limit, so a Countdown bot is definitely do-able. I don't know though if one can be designed to do number rounds or even do word rounds, letter-by-letter, so it would have to set specific rounds where you either find the longest word or solve the conundrum etc.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

oh, a countdown bot is certainly doable - a friend of mine found one that would play Les Numbres et les Chiffres (including number rounds), but had various drawbacks such as the timing being a bit off (it was set to 30 seconds per round, during which you had to have typed your answer - I was thinking some system with a 50 second limit where you declare and state your word after 30, given a prompt to do so), and it had rounds we didn't want (the conundrums were only 7 letters), and the main difficulty of making it so one could choose the letters - definitely promising though
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:oh, a countdown bot is certainly doable - a friend of mine found one that would play Les Numbres et les Chiffres (including number rounds), but had various drawbacks such as the timing being a bit off (it was set to 30 seconds per round, during which you had to have typed your answer - I was thinking some system with a 50 second limit where you declare and state your word after 30, given a prompt to do so), and it had rounds we didn't want (the conundrums were only 7 letters), and the main difficulty of making it so one could choose the letters - definitely promising though
I think the timing limit should be 30 seconds, with an initial hint after 10 seconds and another after 20 seconds, with the points going to whoever types the quickest. I think if people had to wait 30 seconds before putting an answer, they may use that time to use Countmax etc to find the answer required and get it ready to type.
Francisco Segura

Post by Francisco Segura »

Spanish people plays countdown game on chat rooms since 2003. You all can play there because numbers rounds are the same like english version. I would like to see international games online. I don't know if I can write down the link to the site for playing, if anyone is interested, don't hesitate to contact with me or answer this post.

Greetings.
SCRAULER
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Francisco Segura wrote:Spanish people plays countdown game on chat rooms since 2003. You all can play there because numbers rounds are the same like english version. I would like to see international games online. I don't know if I can write down the link to the site for playing, if anyone is interested, don't hesitate to contact with me or answer this post.

Greetings.
I don't know if anyone here speaks Spanish, but if there someone who does and there is a game on Messenger, I would like to watch that.
Francisco Segura

Post by Francisco Segura »

You can play with cylbot at this link:

http://juego-cifrasyletras.blogspot.com ... d-irc.html

If you don't know spanish, don't worry, just type: !cyl when you come in, and enjoy with number rounds
SCRAULER