The most boring OFF-topic poll

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marmite - Love it or Hate it?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:35 am

Love it
40%
Hate it
36%
I don't agree with this cliché that it has to be one or the other
20%
I am weird - I like Twiglets/Marmite crisps, but hate the actual stuff
4%

Total votes: 25

Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

The most boring OFF-topic poll

Post by Derek Hazell »

This is the most boring poll I could possibly think of - something to compete with the two boring Countdown-related polls. It's a cliché which you hear at least once every single day in day-to-day life, applied to so many more things than its original product. But, like other clichés, does it actually contain even a ring of truth? Or, are people just so in the habit of saying it, they don't even think about its true meaning?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: The most boring OFF-topic poll

Post by James Robinson »

I think Marmite is just gorgeous, but it seems to have this strange addictive taste that sometimes makes you wonder why you had it in the first place. :?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

excellent stuff. i have it every day for lunch
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I much prefer Vegemite to Marmite, but Marmite is ok. I neither love it nor hate it.

Both Vegemite and Marmite are very salty, mind, so probably not desperately good for you, despite all the vitamins and minerals they contain.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Marmite for the win! To paraphrase Peep Show's Mark Corrigan on my toast habits: Marmite's the healthy meal, Nutella's the treat. What they don't know is that I actually love Marmite so I win! In fact I sense a toast topping poll coming on...
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Marmite for the win! To paraphrase Peep Show's Mark Corrigan on my toast habits: Marmite's the healthy meal, Nutella's the treat.
...And imho both substances come from the buttcrack of Satan himself. :evil:
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:This is the most boring poll I could possibly think of - something to compete with the two boring Countdown-related polls. It's a cliché which you hear at least once every single day in day-to-day life, applied to so many more things than its original product. But, like other clichés, does it actually contain even a ring of truth? Or, are people just so in the habit of saying it, they don't even think about its true meaning?

A four option poll to a two option question. The poll results are providing that indeed 'love it or hate it' isn't a cliche.

Like Ben, I would like to concur that it is indeed the work of Satan, though I'd always assumed he'd patented the recipe and got in produced in a cottage industry stylee rather than simply harvesting it from his bum.

And I'm with Ben on the Nutella issue (euuww) too. Chocolate and bread. How can that be right?
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

I like marmite, but am not a fan of twiglets. I assume this makes me less weird than if the converse were true?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Neil Zussman wrote:I like marmite, but am not a fan of twiglets. I assume this makes me less weird than if the converse were true?
Twiglets are rubbish. People say they're Marmite flavour, but they're not; they're burnt flavour.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Anyway I was in the pub last night and one of the guys got some Twiglets and we all tried them. They just tasted like burnt crap and everyone agreed. Why are they a thing?

Anyway, there's no Marmite branding on the packet and as far as I know there never has been. They have yeast in, sure. And behind the very strong flavour of burntness there might be a vague similarity with Marmite. But they are not "Marmite flavour". I'm not sure where this BS myth came from. But everyone seems to think it. It's an insult to Marmite.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Twiglet's are crap mainly because of the texture
Marmite cashews, Naarmite peanuts and Cheese infused with Marmite is good
Marmite Peanut butter is not bad.
Marmite with pasta is surprisingly good
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Twiglets are glorious, equally so for Marmite. I can eat that shit neat from the jar. Marmite is nice in a sandwich with jam (Maus has eaten worse), and also goes very well on Digestive biscuits with cheese. The pasta thing is going on the list to try. It doesn't make peanut butter any less vile, however.

If you haven't tried it, go for it. It's nicer than it smells!
The Vicar of Dudley*

*(Not ordained, nor do I live Dudley. Godspeed!)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Rutherford wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:41 pm Twiglets are glorious, equally so for Marmite. I can eat that shit neat from the jar. Marmite is nice in a sandwich with jam (Maus has eaten worse), and also goes very well on Digestive biscuits with cheese. The pasta thing is going on the list to try. It doesn't make peanut butter any less vile, however.

If you haven't tried it, go for it. It's nicer than it smells!
Good combo is cream cheese or Primula and Marmite on the pasta.
Marmite and Jam, shut the front door!! 😊
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT