I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue Tour

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Chris Corby
Devotee

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue Tour

Post by Chris Corby »

Went to see the show at Woking on Thursday (tour as distinct from recording for broadcast) and Barry Cryer was wearing his blue Countdown shirt throughout, although no reference was made to it (but one of the games played did involve the 30 second music). Was wondering if anyone else is going to see the show when it is near them because the anticipation that Barry might wear the white version (or worse still, the smelly blue one!) is getting too much for me... (And hasn't this post got a lot of brackets?)
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Re: I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue Tour

Post by Allan Harmer »

Chris,

I have booked tickets for Portsmouth on Sept 21st and will report back in due course.

We are really looking foward to it.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Give my love to Samantha Allan and hope you enjoy the show.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Chris Corby wrote:Give my love to Samantha Allan and hope you enjoy the show.
Chris - Unfortunately, the lovely Samantha couldn't make it. A long lost relative died and she took his ashes onto a ship in Portsmouth Harbour.

The sailors stood to attention as she tossed them over the side. ;)

My kids are still playing their kazoos and have gone through their entire repertoire of songs on them, including Bohemian Rhapsody :(
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

...............but you don't mention the shirt. Was Barry wearing the shirt???

(nobody does the Samantha smut quite like Humph though..)
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Haha - Sorry to tease you Chris.

He was wearing the blue one!! It looks like he wears the same one every night. Again, no reference to it and they did play the CD music in the last game too.

It was great to see Graham Garden and Tim Brooke-Taylor whom I have admired greatly for more than 40 years. Barry and Jeremy were great too and I am warming to jack Dee.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Chris Corby wrote:...............but you don't mention the shirt. Was Barry wearing the shirt???

I'm wracking my brain to try and remember the wording of a really good one about renovating furniture - possibly a 'tall boy' and a double entendre based around 'stripping' and 'wax off'

A favourite I can vaguely remember from the Lionel Blair running gag, was of Lionel being given 'A Town Like Alice' and choosing to do a personal interpretation that portrayed the whole thing in one go......'Yes, it was quite a marvel to see the drama of Neville Shute in Lionel's face' !!!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The closest I can recall is that Samantha was once delayed because she was helping out at the local library, which had experienced a power cut in the basement. Her role, she explained, was to stand at the top of the ladder holding a candle, while the man beneath her cleans the dust and wax off. I'm sure they used that joke more than once, though.
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:...............but you don't mention the shirt. Was Barry wearing the shirt???

I'm wracking my brain to try and remember the wording of a really good one about renovating furniture - possibly a 'tall boy' and a double entendre based around 'stripping' and 'wax off'

A favourite I can vaguely remember from the Lionel Blair running gag, was of Lionel being given 'A Town Like Alice' and choosing to do a personal interpretation that portrayed the whole thing in one go......'Yes, it was quite a marvel to see the drama of Neville Shute in Lionel's face' !!!
Sue - There's lots of the best Samantha gags here (including several variations on the 'tall boy' theme):
http://www.g0akh.f2s.com/isihac/While_Samantha_Page.php. The Countdown one is a bit laboured though.

My favourite Lionel Blair one has got to be: "The expert's expert was of course Lionel Blair. Who could ever forget opposing team captain, Una Stubbs, sitting open-mouthed as he tried to pull off Twelve Angry Men in under two minutes?"
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Charlie Reams wrote:The closest I can recall is that Samantha was once delayed because she was helping out at the local library, which had experienced a power cut in the basement. Her role, she explained, was to stand at the top of the ladder holding a candle, while the man beneath her cleans the dust and wax off. I'm sure they used that joke more than once, though.
That's a good one - and one that might inspire Derek!

And ta very much, Lucy - I shall check that out :)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I haven't listened to ISIHAC for ages - does Sven still occasionally fill in for Samantha? Some time in the mid 90s I went to a recording of a couple of episodes at the RSC in Stratford and we were lucky enough to have Sven as the scorer for one of them. (In honour of the Shakespearean location, we also had a round of Mornington Crescent played according to the rarely-used Tudor rule book.)

My favourite Lionel Blair gag was: "Who can forget him, spent and on his knees, finishing off An Officer and a Gentleman in under two minutes?" :)
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

See also

http://www.ivorysky.com/isihac/index.php

My favourite is the two gentlemen at the gramophone record library...