Spoilers for Monday June 22nd

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Spoilers for Monday June 22nd

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kate was unlucky in round 12 - when she said she had a risky 9 I thought she was going for DETAINERS which would have been in.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Monday June 22nd

Post by Philip Jarvis »

I got ORGANIZES in Rd4 and saw WOMAN and then CAVEMAN in rd6 - but I missed CAVEWOMAN.

A couple of DC equallers - DEFILERS in rd9 and BOLEROS in rd12.

Drat - I missed out on the limerick contest. However, following on from the Estate Agent story at the end, here's one:

There was an Estate Agent called Stelling,
Whose success was truly compelling,
With charm and good looks,
He said “Put your house on my books,”
“And I guarantee I’ll be selling your dwelling.”

You'll be pleased to hear that I've now retired from writing limericks!!
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

I think TIMEOUT was a beater in one round. Assuming he was in the audience for this, I bet Innis was gutted he wasn't first up that day; 3 very gettable nines.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:I think TIMEOUT was a beater in one round. Assuming he was in the audience for this, I bet Innis was gutted he wasn't first up that day; 3 very gettable nines.
even I got two of them, very easy game, think i scored 131 which is my best ever
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I got 151-58 against the champion and 151-20 against the challenger so would have been 2 records: highest score and largest margin. I couldn't believe it when the C came out for CAVEWOMAN though.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I couldn't believe it when the C came out for CAVEWOMAN though.
Were you 100% sure it wouldn't?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Todays game was a right nine fest! Managed to spot all three :D I was especially amused by cavewoman, as i contemplated which letters were required for it to come out after about the third letter had been chosen.

My score would have been 138 vs Jacqueline, because she beat me to the conundrum which put a downer on the fact that i got a pb.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I got 151-58 against the champion and 151-20 against the challenger so would have been 2 records: highest score and largest margin. I couldn't believe it when the C came out for CAVEWOMAN though.

Where did you miss the one point? Was it hotspur?
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Good to see legend Tim Vine back in Dictionary Corner. :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Good to see legend Tim Vine back in Dictionary Corner. :D
I'll second that, although I would since he was the guest when I was on the show, but he was fantastic. He even remembered me when we had a little chat afterwards :!:

LEGEND :!: :!:

Having said that, at least they didn't keep in the conundrum outtake of the "N" falling off. The conundrum board really did need a SERVICING! :lol:
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

james doohan wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I got 151-58 against the champion and 151-20 against the challenger so would have been 2 records: highest score and largest margin. I couldn't believe it when the C came out for CAVEWOMAN though.

Where did you miss the one point? Was it hotspur?
Spoke to Kirk earlier and yes hotspur was the one point he missed
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

I would have had a pb if I noticed that COSTABLE which is a no no is an anagram of OBSTACLE. oops!
Rob Thomas
Rookie

Post by Rob Thomas »

james doohan wrote: even I got two of them
Such Octomodesty!

;)
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Good to see legend Tim Vine back in Dictionary Corner
But a shame that the audience were on sleeping pills. Or maybe they were tired after the walk from Leeds.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Yeah, it's easy to say that sat at home in your armchair mate, but you might find it a bit more difficult with the pressure etc actually in the studio.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Managed to hit a 125, having only got 2 of the nines. I wonder why, though, when Jackie said (50+2), she didn't just make up the 1 need to knock off 260 on the spot? With a 7 and a 6, it was very easily workable as you went along.

Just out of interest was this the highest max game ever?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:Managed to hit a 125, having only got 2 of the nines. I wonder why, though, when Jackie said (50+2), she didn't just make up the 1 need to knock off 260 on the spot? With a 7 and a 6, it was very easily workable as you went along.

Just out of interest was this the highest max game ever?
No. The highest max game was a 172 where there were 5 nines. This game was my pb when I got 161 (missing an 8 letter word in round 1 and missing the damn conundrum).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
Yeah, it's easy to say that sat at home in your armchair mate, but you might find it a bit more difficult with the pressure etc actually in the studio.
I knew someone would say that and I guessed it would probably be you ;)
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

I got 142-80 against the champion and 147-27 against the challenger which is far, far more than I have ever got (highest would probably be just over 100).