Spoilers for Tuesday June 9

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Tuesday June 9

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

1st numbers alt:

(75 - (10 + 2 + 2)) x 7
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday June 9

Post by Howard Somerset »

Shame Pauline wasn't on today. She could've had PROMATE in R1. :)

And then when questioned spelt it R-A-P-T-U-R-E
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

1st numbers alternative:

75 - (10 / 2) = 70
70 x 6 = 420
420 + 7 = 427
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

Just the one - KINESIS in R11

Plus a dodgy engineers term DEBURRS in R4 but could be hyphenated
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Keith Bevins wrote:Just the one - KINESIS in R11

Plus a dodgy engineers term DEBURRS in R4 but could be hyphenated
Um, KINESIS was noted by DC. But DEBURRS is excellent - I spotted BURRED but didn't realise DEBURR was a verb.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:1st numbers alt:

(75 - (10 + 2 + 2)) x 7
1st numbers alt:

(75 - (10 + 2 + 2)) x 7,

where I transposed the pair of 2s.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Howard Somerset wrote:Shame Pauline wasn't on today. She could've had PROMATE in R1. :)

:x

:)

Um, since I'm here I'll point out that picking a final consonant instead of a vowel in round something-or-other would have given an R for ATTORNEYS :|
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

I thought the face looked familiar. Are these two birds of a feather related?

Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:
Mark Kudlowski wrote:1st numbers alt:

(75 - (10 + 2 + 2)) x 7
1st numbers alt:

(75 - (10 + 2 + 2)) x 7,

where I transposed the pair of 2s.
For years I've been looking forward to somebody saying that! :D
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

first numbers alternate

(10 x 6) + (2/2) x 7 = 427
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

"Becoming a bit of a speciality of yours, those conundrums aren't they" - Jeff Stelling
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jon Corby wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:Shame Pauline wasn't on today. She could've had PROMATE in R1. :)

:x

:)

Um, since I'm here I'll point out that picking a final consonant instead of a vowel in round something-or-other would have given an R for ATTORNEYS :|

Ah, that's reassuring. Thought I was probably the only sad tosser who did that working out what 'might have been' thing!!!!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Sue Sanders wrote:Ah, that's reassuring. Thought I was probably the only sad tosser who did that working out what 'might have been' thing!!!!
Sad tosser? :x :(

I don't really do that, it's just if I happened to see a possible 9 after the first 8 I get all :x if the contestants pick the wrong thing, and I keep an eye (if I remember) to see if it would have actually come out.

Too much goatdown obviously.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jon Corby wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Ah, that's reassuring. Thought I was probably the only sad tosser who did that working out what 'might have been' thing!!!!
Sad tosser? :x :(

I don't really do that, it's just if I happened to see a possible 9 after the first 8 I get all :x if the contestants pick the wrong thing, and I keep an eye (if I remember) to see if it would have actually come out.

Too much goatdown obviously.
I get a bit shouty at the telly too, if I see, for example 'out' or 'ing' or something where you just know there will be more options if the contestant picks a final consonant and they pick a bloody vowel.
BTW, I'd like to agree re 'goatdown' but being very new to this, I've got no idea what that is!!! Explkanation for all the jargon on this site anyone??
Fool's top.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Sue Sanders wrote:I get a bit shouty at the telly too, if I see, for example 'out' or 'ing' or something where you just know there will be more options if the contestant picks a final consonant and they pick a bloody vowel.
BTW, I'd like to agree re 'goatdown' but being very new to this, I've got no idea what that is!!! Explkanation for all the jargon on this site anyone??
Picking a consonant to go with your -ING is not always the best tactic. It might be when you're playing against yourself and just trying to get the longest word, but depending on the game and your opponent, it's often far more sensible to pick a vowel and look for something more vowelly and less obvious. Winning with a tough six is much more valuable than getting an easy 8 and having your opponent spot it too.

Goatdown - http://www.apterous.org/help.php?page=8
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Winning with a tough six is much more valuable than getting an easy 8 and having your opponent spot it too.
Indeed. To repeat a fact I've mentioned numerous times before, I picked five vowels on 10 occasions and won the round on 9 of them. I'm sure someone at home was squealing "Why didn't he pick a consonant for [insert 8 here]?!" but winning rounds is the priority, at least until you're comfortably in front.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Winning with a tough six is much more valuable than getting an easy 8 and having your opponent spot it too.
Indeed. To repeat a fact I've mentioned numerous times before, I picked five vowels on 10 occasions and won the round on 9 of them. I'm sure someone at home was squealing "Why didn't he pick a consonant for [insert 8 here]?!" but winning rounds is the priority, at least until you're comfortably in front.
True, although I don't think ATTORNEYS would be spotted by most. I can think of one top, top player who missed the singular during his heats for example, which is probably why he always spots it now :?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:I get a bit shouty at the telly too, if I see, for example 'out' or 'ing' or something where you just know there will be more options if the contestant picks a final consonant and they pick a bloody vowel.
Picking a consonant to go with your -ING is not always the best tactic. It might be when you're playing against yourself and just trying to get the longest word, but depending on the game and your opponent, it's often far more sensible to pick a vowel and look for something more vowelly and less obvious. Winning with a tough six is much more valuable than getting an easy 8 and having your opponent spot it too.

Goatdown - http://www.apterous.org/help.php?page=8
I see your point. I'm obviously no tactition. Thanks for the link.
Fool's top.
Mo Warden

Post by Mo Warden »

Jon Corby wrote:Too much goatdown obviously.
Please excuse a complete newbie here... what is goatdown? I'm browsing this forum for the first time and I'm intrigued.
Is there another word for synonym?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Mo Warden wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Too much goatdown obviously.
Please excuse a complete newbie here... what is goatdown? I'm browsing this forum for the first time and I'm intrigued.
Come on Mo, you're a forum admin, pay attention! ;) Look about five posts above... (welcome by the way)
Mo Warden

Post by Mo Warden »

Matt Morrison wrote:Come on Mo, you're a forum admin, pay attention! ;) Look about five posts above... (welcome by the way)
Oh... pooh sticks and piddle. Ta.
Is there another word for synonym?