I feel good.........!!

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

I feel good.........!!

Post by Philip Jarvis »

......... the title to be sung Jeff Stelling style to the James Brown song.

7 months, and numerous job applications, after being made redundant, I've finally got another job!!

Yesterday, I had an interview (including Powerpoint presentation) for a Staff Support Officer post at the West Yorks Fire & Rescue Service. I got a call later in the afternoon to say I've been successful (subject to satisfactory references). There were over 100 applicants so I'm really chuffed. This proves life does not end after you get past the age of 50.

I'll be part of a new team that they are expecting will be set up to start in August. As part of efficiency savings (where have I heard that before), the new team will be responsible for co-ordinating a whole new system of shifts / watches at fire stations across West Yorks - due to start in the new year.

I'm really glad I missed out on earlier jobs because this one is right up my street - literally (it's 5 minutes away).
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: I feel good.........!!

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Congratulations Phil. :) There's no doubt about it, tenacity pays off in the end. Best of luck for August and in the meantime - relax and enjoy summer!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Congrats mate. Are you kidding about being over 50?!
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Congratulations Phil. :) There's no doubt about it, tenacity pays off in the end. Best of luck for August and in the meantime - relax and enjoy summer!
Thanks Phil - I'm looking forward to a relaxing sunny July. It's just as well I'm straight - I bet you'd have trouble concentrating on the job surrounded by a load of hunky firemen.
Charlie Reams wrote:Congrats mate. Are you kidding about being over 50?!
Thanks and I'll take that as a compliment Charlie - I was 51 in February.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Philip Jarvis wrote:Thanks Phil - I'm looking forward to a relaxing sunny July. It's just as well I'm straight - I bet you'd have trouble concentrating on the job surrounded by a load of hunky firemen.
In Yorkshire? Nah. I've heard it's grim up north. I bet they're all pale and blotchy from lack of sunshine, and overweight from a diet of Yorkshire pudding and tripe.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Well done!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Philip Jarvis wrote:......... the title to be sung Jeff Stelling style to the James Brown song.

7 months, and numerous job applications, after being made redundant, I've finally got another job!!

Yesterday, I had an interview (including Powerpoint presentation) for a Staff Support Officer post at the West Yorks Fire & Rescue Service. I got a call later in the afternoon to say I've been successful (subject to satisfactory references). There were over 100 applicants so I'm really chuffed. This proves life does not end after you get past the age of 50.

I'll be part of a new team that they are expecting will be set up to start in August. As part of efficiency savings (where have I heard that before), the new team will be responsible for co-ordinating a whole new system of shifts / watches at fire stations across West Yorks - due to start in the new year.

I'm really glad I missed out on earlier jobs because this one is right up my street - literally (it's 5 minutes away).
Well done Philip. Best of luck in helping to implement the new system - you will need it. West Yorkshire FBU & members are against the system but it will be imposed and you will be stuck in the middle trying to deal with a workforce who don't want to accept this "modernisation" (management speak for cuts). All the best.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Many congratulations Philip.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Congratulations. Makes all those knockbacks worthwhile, doesn't it?
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Davy Affleck wrote:Well done Philip. Best of luck in helping to implement the new system - you will need it. West Yorkshire FBU & members are against the system but it will be imposed and you will be stuck in the middle trying to deal with a workforce who don't want to accept this "modernisation" (management speak for cuts). All the best.
Thanks for the inside info Davy. My defence is I didn't make these decisions but I'm glad it's created a job for me. When it's up and running, I'll be doing my best to be fair and reasonable with the firefighters who do a great job. Hopefully, there won't be too much negativity but, if there is, I'm sure I'll be able to cope.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Philip Jarvis wrote:
Davy Affleck wrote:Well done Philip. Best of luck in helping to implement the new system - you will need it. West Yorkshire FBU & members are against the system but it will be imposed and you will be stuck in the middle trying to deal with a workforce who don't want to accept this "modernisation" (management speak for cuts). All the best.
Thanks for the inside info Davy. My defence is I didn't make these decisions but I'm glad it's created a job for me. When it's up and running, I'll be doing my best to be fair and reasonable with the firefighters who do a great job. Hopefully, there won't be too much negativity but, if there is, I'm sure I'll be able to cope.
And if it comes down to it, you're bigger than most of them anyway.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Many congratulations Phil.

This is great news and goes to show that there's life in us oldies yet mate.

Well done!
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Philip Jarvis wrote:
And if it comes down to it, you're bigger than most of them anyway.
I know from Matt Morrison that comments were made about my height from those who met me on Final Countdown day. I can't really understand this because I'm only 6' 2". There again ......... I did develop a bit of a stiff neck looking down on all the younger members of the forum.

Another factor might be my width - after being the "fat lad" at school I started weight training in gyms when I was 18. Although popular today, this was a fairly new concept in 1976. At the first gym I went to, I mixed with several actual "Mr Universes" - Bill Richardson and Tony Emmott being 2 (if my memory of their names serves me correctly). Anyway, by the time I got into my 20's, although I might not have had the chisel jawed, archetypal good looking face of a Chippendale, I had a fairly reasonably body with 44" chest and 32" waist. This served me in good stead with the ladies until I met the girl of my dreams in my mid 30's.

I now have 3 lovely daughters aged 16, 11 and 9. Unfortunately, the passage of time, together with injuries to my knee, shoulder and occasional tweaks elsewhere, has severely restricted my capacity to train at the same levels. Consequently, although my jacket size is now probably 48", my waist has expanded at a proportionately greater rate. Having said that, on a good day, I can still manage to squeeze into 36" jeans.

Anyway, getting back to the original subject of this thread, the Fire Service has its own gym which is free to employees. So I'm looking forward to making use of these facilities with Yorkshire's finest firefighters in the hope that I might be inspired to lose an inch or two off my waist.

If they then still don't find me imposing, I'll threaten to send in Phil Reynolds to sort them out.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Philip Jarvis wrote:If they then still don't find me imposing, I'll threaten to send in Phil Reynolds to sort them out.
Yeah, I mainly picked that up from the combination of you being generally quite "big" and also having the most fearsome handshake since Nick Wainwright. No joke, that guy could tear a gorilla's arm from its socket.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Philip Jarvis wrote:There again ......... I did develop a bit of a stiff neck looking down on all the younger members of the forum.
The police are on their way.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Philip, you feel good, and you knew that you would.

And Jeff Stelling never thinks about the fact that James Brown is dead.

Even more seriously, Philip, congratulations on getting your new job, and remember to put a smile on your face in the future.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Jason Larsen wrote:
And Jeff Stelling never thinks about the fact that James Brown is dead.

The other James Brown ain't & he still plays up front & scores for Hartlepool now & again
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

51? Bloody hell - you look well younger than that.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I knew that
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Started my new job on Monday. Having a great time.

I've changed my avatar to a photo taken of me yesterday.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Philip Jarvis wrote:I've changed my avatar to a photo taken of me yesterday.
Haha. You look like a wasp.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Philip Jarvis wrote:Started my new job on Monday. Having a great time.

Superb Philip. I am glad you're a happily married man, because you look very masculine.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

"I feel good" is a very universal phrase.

Now, this is for those of you who do not watch Countdown for Jeff Stelling.

If you think the fact that Jeff Stelling says "I feel good" is annoying, take a look at this.

A Spanish US-based sportscaster has a very well-known habit of expressing himself in a rather unusual way when any team scores a goal in football.

You all will laugh your head off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ6oz54qh9w

And this guy has a habit of doing that every single time someone scores a goal!
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Philip Jarvis wrote:I've changed my avatar to a photo taken of me yesterday.
Haha. You look like a wasp.
Yes - I'm buzzing with excitement.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Philip Jarvis wrote:Started my new job on Monday. Having a great time.

Superb Philip. I am glad you're a happily married man, because you look very masculine.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote: You all will laugh your head off.
Incorrect statement. I did not laugh.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote: You all will laugh your head off.
Incorrect statement. I did not laugh.
Bullseyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I am sorry, everyone
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jason Larsen wrote:I am sorry, everyone
Don't be sorry, Jason. It was an amusing video, and it is nice of you to share things with us.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Derek...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

:P

Philip Jarvis's thread has been turned into a den of frivolity.

Good job he's got a sense of humour.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!