Julian on youtube

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Kirk Bevins
God

Julian on youtube

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Countdowngoofs has now put the special Julian Fell vs Chris Wills on youtube.

Part 1 is here; enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91xsrDJh ... annel_page
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Julian on youtube

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Wow! Yay!
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Julian, if you're reading this... PLEASE COME OUT OF RETIREMENT!!!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

4:57 of part 3: best laugh ever!
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Ben Hunter wrote:4:57 of part 3: best laugh ever!
It sounds so scary.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Sorry Kirk but I think this confirms Julian as the true King of Countdown. To get words like that and know their meanings so well without apterous while still at college is just ridiculous.

And just a musing as I'd never seen him before but is Chris Wills a wee bit gay?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ben Hunter wrote:4:57 of part 3: best laugh ever!
There's a classic RW moment just before that when Chris declares IMITATES and Richard asks, rather incredulously, "Are there enough Ms for all that?"
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matthew Green wrote:is Chris Wills a wee bit gay?
Oh, puh-lease. She invented it, dear.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matthew Green wrote:Sorry Kirk but I think this confirms Julian as the true King of Countdown. To get words like that and know their meanings so well without apterous while still at college is just ridiculous
Totally. Although all his other awesome words aside, is VIRTUOSIC really that obscure?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Matthew Green wrote:Sorry Kirk but I think this confirms Julian as the true King of Countdown. To get words like that and know their meanings so well without apterous while still at college is just ridiculous
Totally. Although all his other awesome words aside, is VIRTUOSIC really that obscure?
I can say with a large degree of confidence that I had never heard or seen the word prior to that conundrum. Or since.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I agree that it was amazing that Julian knew the definitions. To know the words without Apterous and to just use the handheld machine is amazing too.

To be the true King of Countdown you need to define what that means. Some might say Conor is as it was amazing to see someone so young come up with words like ALBEDOS and BRESAOLA but some might say Beevers is as he had the highest percentage of max.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I agree that it was amazing that Julian knew the definitions. To know the words without Apterous and to just use the handheld machine is amazing too.

To be the true King of Countdown you need to define what that means. Some might say Conor is as it was amazing to see someone so young come up with words like ALBEDOS and BRESAOLA but some might say Beevers is as he had the highest percentage of max.
I would say Rory Miller because he is the funniest person ever.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Does the King of Countdown get a crown?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I agree that it was amazing that Julian knew the definitions. To know the words without Apterous and to just use the handheld machine is amazing too.

Most blatant fishing post ever :roll:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
Most blatant fishing post ever :roll:
Never :shock:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:Most blatant fishing post ever :roll:
omg Jon u r so amazin' can i have ur babbies plz? :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Most blatant fishing post ever :roll:
omg Jon u r so amazin' can i have ur babbies plz? :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Yeah, you're welcome to them, the ungrateful little bastards.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

That's great!

He was a true class act, as always.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Charlie Reams wrote:

I would say Rory Miller because he is the funniest person ever.

Yeah, as funny as a fire in an orphanage.......
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

D Eadie wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote: I would say Rory Miller because he is the funniest person ever.
Yeah, as funny as a fire in an orphanage.......
No way man, didn't you see that one time where he was all "maybe I should write the letters down" and it was totally hilarious?
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Jason Larsen wrote:He was a true class act, as always.
Chris or Julian?

Easily the best special ever IMHO. Great credit to both players and played in a perfect spirit.

For anyone who's interested, this particular Youtube gem came from a SVCD which had sat in my loft for over 5 years. Around the time this was broadcast, digital camcorders had become affordable but DVD was still a bit too expensive for distributing finished results. As an alternative to nasty old VHS, I wanted to experiment with SVCD and a Countdown episode with adverts removed happened to be the perfect length. It probably took at least 10 hours to encode on my 500MHz Celeron, but that's how it survived.

I could alternatively have used Mearns/Kearsey, but that was a less happy event and I didn't think I'd ever want to see it again. How could I not have foreseen Youtube? Sorry...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Clive Brooker wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:He was a true class act, as always.
Chris or Julian?

Easily the best special ever IMHO. Great credit to both players and played in a perfect spirit.

For anyone who's interested, this particular Youtube gem came from a SVCD which had sat in my loft for over 5 years. Around the time this was broadcast, digital camcorders had become affordable but DVD was still a bit too expensive for distributing finished results. As an alternative to nasty old VHS, I wanted to experiment with SVCD and a Countdown episode with adverts removed happened to be the perfect length. It probably took at least 10 hours to encode on my 500MHz Celeron, but that's how it survived.

I could alternatively have used Mearns/Kearsey, but that was a less happy event and I didn't think I'd ever want to see it again. How could I not have foreseen Youtube? Sorry...
Excellent work. Cheers.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

If you have any more classic games mate, I for one would be so happy to view them. Thanks for posting this one.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Julian was the class act.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Kirk Bevins wrote:If you have any more classic games mate, I for one would be so happy to view them. Thanks for posting this one.
As I'm sure you realised, the point of my little yarn was to illustrate how random is the process by which precious stuff like this gets preserved - rather like the uncoordinated way in which steam locomotives were saved from scrap. Hindsight and all that...

The nearest to classics I have found in recent days are Conor Travers's 2nd and 3rd heat games, featuring an almost young and enthusiastic Des Lynam and, by happy chance, Jan Ravens. These were recorded on a DVD recorder which no longer exists and I'm having trouble finding a machine that will play them smoothly. But I'll be sending them to Countdowngoofs anyway and I'm sure he'll be able to sort them out.

There is one other tantalising possibility - a classic episode I recorded for someone else but didn't keep. If I can retrieve that it will some people will be very happy - but at least one might not be.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Clive Brooker wrote:
There is one other tantalising possibility - a classic episode I recorded for someone else but didn't keep. If I can retrieve that it will some people will be very happy - but at least one might not be.
Don't keep us in suspense - who was involved?
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Shouldn't you be working?

Here's a clue - Nuts.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Clive Brooker wrote:Shouldn't you be working?

Here's a clue - Nuts.
Pete Cashmore v Dag Griffiths? The special that Damian hated?
Last edited by Jon Corby on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Here's a clue - Nuts.
I'm writing reports and it's dire. I need a break every now and then. Why did Damian hate that special?
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Jon Corby wrote:

Here's a clue - Nuts.
Pete Cashmore v Dag Griffiths? The special that Damian hated?
I was going to offer a prize of more cash than Charlie's ever put up, but it was obviously too easy.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:

Here's a clue - Nuts.
I'm writing reports and it's dire. I need a break every now and then. Why did Damian hate that special?
Linked in my original post now. Although he doesn't go into great detail, and I haven't actually seen the episode but remember talking to Pete about it.
Thomas Wood
Rookie

Post by Thomas Wood »

The nearest to classics I have found in recent days are Conor Travers's 2nd and 3rd heat games, featuring an almost young and enthusiastic Des Lynam and, by happy chance, Jan Ravens. These were recorded on a DVD recorder which no longer exists and I'm having trouble finding a machine that will play them smoothly. But I'll be sending them to Countdowngoofs anyway and I'm sure he'll be able to sort them out.

I'm sure somehow me or someone will manage to get it sorted and uploaded. Any ideas as too when you'll be sending them? Was great to see the last one and can't wait for these other episodes. Don't feel pressured though I'm sure you'll get them done whenever you can.
Paul Erdunast
Series 74 Champion

Post by Paul Erdunast »

First time I've seen Julian, you can tell his experience and skill with languages, especially other than english, I enjoyed gerontic, given its Ancient Greek roots, but I'd never see it, or indeed risk it, he's an amazing contestant, especially as he never had apterous
Thomas Wood
Rookie

Post by Thomas Wood »

The first of these episodes is now up for anyone that's interested.

It's from Thursday 24th November 2005 and sees Conor Travers in his 2nd game taking on John Archer

Many thanks for sending these again Clive!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Reminds me how ace Des Lynam was.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

He was my least favorite host, Ben.
Thomas Wood
Rookie

Post by Thomas Wood »

Jason Larsen wrote:He was my least favorite host, Ben.
In a strange way I grew to like him throughout his run. I thought he brought his own unique style to the show, as have all the other hosts.

He did have his funny moments:

Jacob Sutton
Rookie

Post by Jacob Sutton »

Des Lynam was a very good host and I think he is quite underrated just because he didn't wear loud ties or talk about his career all the time. I too grew to like him, he had a very dry and witty sense of humour and didn't try and take over the programme. Was infinitely better than Des O'Connor for me.
Last edited by Jacob Sutton on Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

That is very funny, Thomas!