How many would you score if you did it again?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Tom
Acolyte

How many would you score if you did it again?

Post by Tom »

Hiya, maybe a bit pointless, but for those have-been Octochamps or those who think they could now, if you went on again, do you think you could still become an Octochamp? and if so how many points do you reckon you'd score over 8 games? Be perfectly honest here!

There are also the game disciplines as well, are you all better or slightly worse at them now? Letters games I will have deteriorated at, conundrums I'm slightly slower on, but the numbers game I'm better on then when I was a contestant. In my Octochamp run I scored 213 on the numbers and the 27 dropped were from 9 rounds of scoring 7 - watching my Octochamp run back I got 6 of the 9 missed and if I became an Octochamp again I'd be disappointed to score less than 225 on them. I scored 50 on conundrums and would probably get the same.

Overall, considering the stamina issue and that its likely you'd have to play 5 in a day, I reckon I could score around 820-830 these days in an Octo run.

Checking the records, 9 people have beaten my score and 1 equalled. For those high Octo scoring, apterous junkies, what aggregate score would you classify as fearsome? For me, anyone who averages above 830 I would classify as fearsome.

Maybe pointless as well, but what do you think are aggregate milestones and what score do you think makes someone look statistically elite at the game? I'd say 800 and
900 obviously for the figures but I'd also say 840 and up because it averages over 7+ a round and I'd say that was the figure that makes someone look a statistically elite player.

This is just purely out of interest, yes this might intrigue Gevin and this definitely isn't Zef hacking into my computer otherwise I would take him to court and sue the f**k out of him :mrgreen:
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Re: How many would you score if you did it again?

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I (and other apteroids) have noted how considerably better I am now than when I was on the show; I (and other apteroids) reckon I could do much better if I went on again.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I (and other apteroids) have noted how considerably better I am now than when I was on the show; I (and other apteroids) reckon I could do much better if I went on again.
Do you wish you'd waited a year or two, or are you glad you went on when you did?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I reckon I'd crack 800, maybe top out at 830. Stamina isn't much of an issue for me- if you've played 24 games of tournament Scrabble in 24 hours- and I have- you quickly find out just how wide your limits are.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Not really sure how much I'd score as I don't really keep track of all my scores. Normally just north of 100 per game so I'd probably make octochamp this time around, but doubt I'd get a look in at the title of series champ, given the standard of apterists on the show these days!
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

926 :?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

927 :?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Over 9000.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Not "again" as I haven't been on - but I tend to score 1904 over 8 games.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Racoon, are you going to try and go on again?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ian Dent wrote:Racoon, are you going to try and go on again?
Maybe - I'd want to get a lot better, which I don't really have time for right now (plus one of our laptops recently expired, which means I'm down an apterous-playing machine). Also the other half has now decided he wants to go on, ideally in the same series as me so we can battle it out in the final, and it'll probably take him even longer to get up to standard than I will.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'd definitely do much better than last time when I scraped to three wins and scored about 320. Still grumpy that I only found the CD community after I'd been on!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Somewhere between 500-600 points maybe.

p.s. I hope this answer demonstrates how lame this thread is.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Matthew Green wrote:Somewhere between 500-600 points maybe.

p.s. I hope this answer demonstrates how lame this thread is.
I don't think thsi thread is at all lame, as I reckon it's quite natural to look back and wonder what if. I definitely improved loads after my heats and feel I could have had a total well in the 800s if I'd discovered apterous earlier. I did an octochamp run on apterous and got 886, which I was pretty chuffed with, but if I went on now I'd probably aim for the 850 mark. In my 790 run I lost some points on numbers as I went 6 small pretty much every time. I also risked a LOT of stupid words. I think with my increased word knowledge I'd have the confidence to back myself on letters and just go 1 large every time. Not sure I'd manage the 7 conundrums I got though, as I seem to be getting worse at them.

So yeah. 850.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Jon O'Neill wrote:8,732
I wonder what Francisco Segura got on his 117 games on Cifras y Letras