Spoilers, Tuesday 19/05/2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers, Tuesday 19/05/2009

Post by Matt Morrison »

Let's all enjoy Jimmy taking Kerr of his 7th opponent.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers, Tuesday 19/05/2009

Post by Kai Laddiman »

ONOMAST as equaller and TORTILLA as DC equaller.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

GAUDIES as well.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

r1 - CORNEAL
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Alternative 2nd numbers: 4x(50+3x(8-1))
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

SAMFIE, round 11.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

3rd numbers:

100*((9-1)*7-10)/8
Ray Folwell
Acolyte

Post by Ray Folwell »

Alternative 2nd numbers : (8x9-1)x4
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

"It explicitly says in the contestant guidelines that foodstuffs are allowed, but I'm afraid I going to have to disallow that."

Also IN TIME Rd 14 (100-10-9)x7+8
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Yikes! close shave there Jimmy. Well played to get the lead back before the conundrum.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Is the obvious tactic Jimmy employs of buzzing when you don't know the conundrum acceptable? Or only if you are an apterous member?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Davy Affleck wrote:Is the obvious tactic Jimmy employs of buzzing when you don't know the conundrum acceptable? Or only if you are an apterous member?
Only if you are an apterous member. The "trick" took many months to perfect.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

baizes, now no maizes
ok in scrabble amazing
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

John Bosley wrote:baizes, now no maizes
ok in scrabble amazing
I see you've also taken the absence of punctuation from Scrabble to heart.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Clive Brooker wrote:3rd numbers:

100*((9-1)*7-10)/8
Please tell me you got this in time? If you did - amazing. If you didn't then surely that's cheating? Anyway I have LARCENER as a DC beater in round 1, SAMFIE in round 11 and a Jimmy-equaller of SONNETED in round 12.

I bet you were kicking yourself when you buzzed and didn't have it Jimmy - you looked terrified you were going to lose.

Also, on the subject of MAIZES^ being disallowed - I don't mean to open a can of worms but the definition says: "The many varieties include some used for stockfeed and corn oil." Surely if there are many varieties then this is exactly the requirement for a plural to be acceptable, no?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:If you didn't then surely that's cheating?
Who's being cheated, exactly?
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Clive Brooker wrote:3rd numbers:

100*((9-1)*7-10)/8
Please tell me you got this in time? If you did - amazing. If you didn't then surely that's cheating?
Didn't expect that.

Yes, I did get it in the time. Because it looked awkward to approach using 100*6 I looked at 575*8, so I had at least 20 seconds to make 46 from 9, 1, 7 and 10.

I'll take amazing from you any time!
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

VIRUSES in R6.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

My girlfriend comes home each day at about 4:05 so she always just sees the conundrum. She is a very calm, loving person and rarely even gets slightly annoyed but she is getting extremely irritated by your buzzing in without the answer every day. She actually called you a cunt, the only time Ive ever seen her angry enough to use the word. Very strange.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jack Morgan

Post by Jack Morgan »

^ Hahaha :lol:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Clive Brooker wrote:Because it looked awkward to approach using 100*6 I looked at 575*8, so I had at least 20 seconds to make 46 from 9, 1, 7 and 10.
Really? That's the first thing I look at too if I think it's awkward to do 100*6. Very odd but well done.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Given Jimmy's propensity for buzzing in early without knowing the conundrum, I wonder if today's choice was deliberate on Damian's part or just coincidence.

MAIZES is listed in the latest release of Jimdic that I have (dated April 20) but was deemed invalid when I just tried it out in Lexplorer. Weirdness.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Oh, also meant to say: today's challenger Kerr looks quite astonishingly like Tom Hollander.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Given Jimmy's propensity for buzzing in early without knowing the conundrum, I wonder if today's choice was deliberate on Damian's part or just coincidence.

MAIZES is listed in the latest release of Jimdic that I have (dated April 20) but was deemed invalid when I just tried it out in Lexplorer. Weirdness.
Lexplorer is out of sync with Jimdic at the moment (although the game itself is correct) since I lost the script that updates it.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matthew Green wrote:My girlfriend comes home each day at about 4:05 so she always just sees the conundrum. She is a very calm, loving person and rarely even gets slightly annoyed but she is getting extremely irritated by your buzzing in without the answer every day. She actually called you a cunt, the only time Ive ever seen her angry enough to use the word. Very strange.
Sometimes your posts are a little controversial, but that one was great, in a strange way!
Phil Reynolds wrote:Oh, also meant to say: today's challenger Kerr looks quite astonishingly like Tom Hollander.
My mum works with his Dad.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:MAIZES is listed in the latest release of Jimdic that I have (dated April 20) but was deemed invalid when I just tried it out in Lexplorer.
Lexplorer is out of sync with Jimdic at the moment (although the game itself is correct) since I lost the script that updates it.
So does that mean that a previous release of Jimdic disallowed MAIZES and it's been added since Lexplorer was last synced with it? I wonder why. Also, if by "the game is correct" you mean that it's based on the current version of Jimdic, that presumably means that it allows MAIZES. Which is incorrect, according to Susie.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:that presumably means that it allows MAIZES. Which is incorrect, according to Susie.
Thank goodness he was 10 points behind, not 6 or fewer then!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Jack Morgan wrote:^ Hahaha :lol:
When are you on telly?
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Charlie Reams wrote:
John Bosley wrote:baizes, now no maizes
ok in scrabble amazing
I see you've also taken the absence of punctuation from Scrabble to heart.
you should see
my poetry
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

My 2nd numbers solution was (50-4)x(9-3)+8, but I prefer the rather neater ones ending up 71x4.

Very impressed with Clive's soln for 3rd numbers.

Rules of mass nouns do seem to be changing don't they. Susie said that she has to be governed by the dictionary. Yet in the introduction to the dictionary it explicitly says that on Countdown one type of mass noun which IS allowed is "types and varieties of food and drink". Coming at a time it did, MAIZES being disallowed could have had a crucial bearing on the result.

Well done anyway, Jimmy. I bet those final 27 seconds dragged by. Hope you manage at least 78 points in your eighth game.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

As 575=25x23, Clive's route seemed the obvious way to go, but didn't get there in time - though as I'm pretty good at spotting factors, I consequentially often miss an easy way. :geek:
When Jimmy buzzed for the conundrum, I thought STIMMING? - but then realised (a) too few letters & (b) probably not a word - and wonder if he'd had a similar idea. :?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Howard Somerset wrote:Rules of mass nouns do seem to be changing don't they. Susie said that she has to be governed by the dictionary. Yet in the introduction to the dictionary it explicitly says that on Countdown one type of mass noun which IS allowed is "types and varieties of food and drink".
That's somewhat at variance with the logic that Susie has consistently used when explaining this rule on the show, which is that plurals of foods etc are allowed where it's feasible to imagine going into a restaurant and ordering (say) "two tiramisus". So it's about using what is normally a mass noun in the sense of a portion of that food, which is countable, rather than about "types and varieties". You wouldn't order "two maizes" in a restaurant, so Susie was being consistent with the rule as she has always explained it, regardless of what the introduction to the dictionary says.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Astonishingly enough MAIZES was allowed less than a year ago, if this source is right. Still I agree with Phil - you'd say 'two portions of maize' and not 'two maizes'. Since they don't keep records of which words have been allowed and disallowed, each decision is basically independent of the previous ones, unless Damian and co. can remember what they did the last time.

As for the conundrums, Jimmy, are you just not good at them or is there some sort of tactic going on? You're gonna pass the likes of Gary Male for being legendarily bad at them.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Martin Gardner wrote:I agree with Phil - you'd say 'two portions of maize' and not 'two maizes'.
That wasn't my point at all. Maize is a raw cereal crop, not an edible dish, so you'd never order it in a restaurant in either the singular or the plural. There is almost certainly a strong argument for MAIZES being allowed in that there are different varieties of maize, but that's a different matter.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Martin Gardner wrote:Astonishingly enough MAIZES was allowed less than a year ago, if this source is right. Still I agree with Phil - you'd say 'two portions of maize' and not 'two maizes'. Since they don't keep records of which words have been allowed and disallowed, each decision is basically independent of the previous ones, unless Damian and co. can remember what they did the last time.

As for the conundrums, Jimmy, are you just not good at them or is there some sort of tactic going on? You're gonna pass the likes of Gary Male for being legendarily bad at them.
They don't keep records?! How the hell can they be anywhere near consistent then! That seems disgraceful to me! I also agree that one can have different types of maize, hence the plural should be acceptable.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

If Richard Whiteley and Carol Vorderman had been present, Richard would have made some comment about it being "aMAIZEing that the word wasn't in", and Carol would have made some comment about his joke being corny, then there would have been some cackling. All meaning there would have been slightly less time for Rory's chat (which incidently went completely over my head this time!).
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Matthew Green wrote:My girlfriend comes home each day at about 4:05 so she always just sees the conundrum. She is a very calm, loving person and rarely even gets slightly annoyed but she is getting extremely irritated by your buzzing in without the answer every day. She actually called you a cunt, the only time Ive ever seen her angry enough to use the word. Very strange.
Jack Morgan wrote:^Hahaha :lol:
My only objective (after winning) was NOT to come across as a cunt and it seems I've failed there; I'd hate to know what people who aren't calm and loving shout at their tv! No doubt my biggest flaw is caring way too much about what people think and this is not a good thing when you are open to criticism from millions of people who have watched. Trust me you're not the only person to call me a cunt. Part of the reason for going on was as a self-esteem boost but this hasn't been the case. Whilst I had a great experience, one that I'll never forget, the more I think about it the more I regret going on.
It is probably that I don't understand your humour or whatever but you come across as a pretty unpleasant person.

@ Davy - please don't imply that I'm a cheat because I'm not. Whilst it was stupid to buzz in, I genuinely thought I had it each time.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jimmy Gough wrote:No doubt my biggest flaw is caring way too much about what people think and this is not a good thing when you are open to criticism from millions of people who have watched. Trust me you're not the only person to call me a cunt. Part of the reason for going on was as a self-esteem boost but this hasn't been the case. Whilst I had a great experience, one that I'll never forget, the more I think about it the more I regret going on.
It is probably that I don't understand your humour or whatever but you come across as a pretty unpleasant person.
Sorry about that, Jimmy. I didn't know you would take it personally, as you have always joked quite strongly on here. You were entertaining to watch, whether you buzzed in early, late or not at all.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Don't listen to a word of it Jimmy, it's times like this I realise how cheap it is to make snidey opinions of people based on a few minutes of recording. I'm sure every contestant in the history of the show could probably be labelled a "cunt" if people can be bothered to overanalyse their actions, I've no doubt that I'll have hundreds of thousands of people deciding the same about me soon enough. I don't think you came across badly at all, certainly not on the conundrums where you'd clearly just made an honest mistake.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Jimmy, you came across to me as a pleasant, and gentle, man.
It has been a pleasure to watch you.
Last edited by Ralph Gillions on Thu May 21, 2009 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

[quote="Jimmy Gough
@ Davy - please don't imply that I'm a cheat because I'm not. Whilst it was stupid to buzz in, I genuinely thought I had it each time.[/quote]

No offence meant Jimmy -It was obviously only a case of "premature anticipation" on your part

I enjoyed your run to the finals. If you think it hurt your self-esteem, try going on, scoring 31 and having to see it with your watch in the station - compassion has no place on a watch. I am still meeting guys from other stations at fires who are calling me a twat - in the best possible way.
All the best to you in the future.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jimmy, I really enjoyed your run - ignore all people who shoot you down. I had lots of people shooting me down calling me an arrogant twat and so on. You can't win.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Jimmy, I really enjoyed your run - ignore all people who shoot you down. I had lots of people shooting me down calling me an arrogant twat and so on. You can't win.
I agree...

... with the people who called you a twat.

No, really. I thought you came across very well Jimmy. Congrats on winning 8!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote: I agree...

... with the people who called you a twat.
I knew you'd say that. I also knew I couldn't rely on you for anything productive.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Damn, all this talk is putting me off going on the show. The only thing that keeps me going is that cute girl on Jimmy's facebook wall who keeps expressing her love for him.

Jimmy I thought you came across well, and my housemate who met you thought you were a good guy too.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jimmy Gough wrote:No doubt my biggest flaw is caring way too much about what people think
You could probably say that about most people here, or anywhere. Just count up the number of messages of support and approval that were posted here after your first couple of appearances, and I think you'll find they vastly outweigh the ones that seem critical.

I didn't mention this at the time, but I was surprised by the people who posted after your first show saying that you weren't nervous - you did seem to me to be, if not nervous, then certainly self-conscious. This is not a criticism! What's been great is watching your confidence grow with each game; you are barely recognisable on screen now as the slightly twitchy youth who appeared eight games ago. You've put yourself on the line and achieved something that few would dare to attempt. Kudos to you, Jimmy - and I would say I can't wait to see how you do in the finals if I didn't already know. 8-)
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Jimmy Gough wrote: My only objective (after winning) was NOT to come across as a cunt and it seems I've failed there; I'd hate to know what people who aren't calm and loving shout at their tv! No doubt my biggest flaw is caring way too much about what people think and this is not a good thing when you are open to criticism from millions of people who have watched. Trust me you're not the only person to call me a cunt. Part of the reason for going on was as a self-esteem boost but this hasn't been the case. Whilst I had a great experience, one that I'll never forget, the more I think about it the more I regret going on.
Aww, come on Jimmy. Aside from the excellent display of Countdown you produced, you came across as a real gentleman and a credit to yourself. Anyone who genuinely thought you were a cunt based on that (and FWIW I think there was very little genuine malice on here) is not worth knowing or paying attention to.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Has a contestant ever accidently buzzed on a normal letters round when they have spotted a nine?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Derek Hazell wrote:Has a contestant ever accidently buzzed on a normal letters round when they have spotted a nine?
I'm not sure but I don't think the buzzers work until the con.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I'm not sure but I don't think the buzzers work until the con.
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks Kai.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Congrats on winning 8!
You colossal penwoman! This is Tuesday's spoilers and I haven't seen Wednesday's show yet. I'm personally going to fist you at CONOT.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai Laddiman wrote: I'm not sure but I don't think the buzzers work until the con.
I asked Jay about this once and I think he said they don't do anything special to activate the buttons, so presumably they'd work any time. Might be funny to "accidentally" press one when Jeff makes a bad joke, not that such an event could ever occur.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Congrats on winning 8!
You colossal penwoman! This is Tuesday's spoilers and I haven't seen Wednesday's show yet.
Sorry mate! :(