Wii Brawlers

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Wii Brawlers

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Is there anyone here who has a Nintendo Wii and will be getting Super Smash Bros Brawl?

It is one of the most anticipated games this year and I am looking to see if anyone else here is getting it so I may be able to challenge them to a brawl online.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Re: Wii Brawlers

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I'm a proud Wii owner but I haven't yet ventured into the online Wii community. Something I must look into. My current addiction is Guitar Hero III but am currently suffering the finger-numbing consequences of note rapidity on expert level! Any other budding Guitar Heroes out there?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Yep, I've had Brawl pre-ordered since about April last year. Might need to go and refresh that pre-order, actually- my original Wii preorder (which I made about 10 months in advance) kinda went a bit walkabout from GAME's systems so better safe than sorry. I'm also pretty fond of Guitar Hero- though admittedly only up to Medium level. :oops: I nabbed all 242 stars on Mario Galaxy in a one-month gaming binge session, though. :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ben Wilson wrote:Yep, I've had Brawl pre-ordered since about April last year. Might need to go and refresh that pre-order, actually- my original Wii preorder (which I made about 10 months in advance) kinda went a bit walkabout from GAME's systems so better safe than sorry. I'm also pretty fond of Guitar Hero- though admittedly only up to Medium level. :oops: I nabbed all 242 stars on Mario Galaxy in a one-month gaming binge session, though. :)
Theres 242? I only have 120! Where are the other 122?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:Yep, I've had Brawl pre-ordered since about April last year. Might need to go and refresh that pre-order, actually- my original Wii preorder (which I made about 10 months in advance) kinda went a bit walkabout from GAME's systems so better safe than sorry.
I have decided to purchase a Wii Freeloader and also purchase Super Smash Bros Brawl from America so hopefully this Wii Freeloader will work :D. If you are intrested in Brawling Ben or anyone else, do PM me your Wii code and I can add youse :).

Whats your fave character by the way? Mine is Fox, with Yoshi coming 2nd and Bowser coming 3rd. I am looking forward to playing Pokemon Trainer, Snake, Sonic and Wolf in the Brawl.
Ben Wilson wrote:I'm also pretty fond of Guitar Hero- though admittedly only up to Medium level. :oops: I nabbed all 242 stars on Mario Galaxy in a one-month gaming binge session, though. :)
I have not played Mario Galxay although I have gone online and purchased a copy of Super Mario 64 instead. I also have The Godfather, Mario Party 8 and Sonic & Mario at The Olympics.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Yep, I've had Brawl pre-ordered since about April last year. Might need to go and refresh that pre-order, actually- my original Wii preorder (which I made about 10 months in advance) kinda went a bit walkabout from GAME's systems so better safe than sorry. I'm also pretty fond of Guitar Hero- though admittedly only up to Medium level. :oops: I nabbed all 242 stars on Mario Galaxy in a one-month gaming binge session, though. :)
Theres 242? I only have 120! Where are the other 122?
Catch me on msn Dinos and I'll fill you in. ;) As for Smash Bros, I suppose I'm a Link man mainly, though I do find Marth useful too. Ness can also be deadly in my hands. :)

My favourite character from a neutral standpoint though simply HAS to be Mr. Game & Watch. :D
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:As for Smash Bros, I suppose I'm a Link man mainly, though I do find Marth useful too. Ness can also be deadly in my hands. :)

My favourite character from a neutral standpoint though simply HAS to be Mr. Game & Watch. :D
Can't say I am a fan of Link, Marth, Ness or Mr Game & Watch myself.

When it comes to levels though I do like the Flat Zone and from what I have seen of SSBB, Flat Zone 2 looks awesome, because it focuses on more than one game. Being a Fox fan I like the Corneria levels too.

I also like the look of the stage builder.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I just got this game today (American import) and it is a brilliant game :D.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: Wii Racers

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Also just to add to this thread, if anyone has purchased Mario Kart for the Wii and wants a friendly challenge, let me know and I can add you :D.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Also just to add to this thread, if anyone has purchased Mario Kart for the Wii and wants a friendly challenge, let me know and I can add you :D.
Got it. Once I can be arsed to sort out onlineliness I'll race you.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Also just to add to this thread, if anyone has purchased Mario Kart for the Wii and wants a friendly challenge, let me know and I can add you :D.
Got it. Once I can be arsed to sort out onlineliness I'll race you.
The onlines races are quite good. I thought it would've been tough to play because most players know all the shortcuts and how to succesfully snake too, but I have played a few online and have even won some :D.

Also the battle modes are quite good. I prefer the balloon battles over the coin ones though.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Did you ever sort out getting online Dinos?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Played Mario Kart Wii for the first time today, four player action on a massive screen. Wicked stuff. Finally time to give in to yet another Nintendo console...
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

For anyone who has the game and wants to add people to their roster, my code is 0387-9035-8235.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Did you ever sort out getting online Dinos?
I'm a bit busy with uni work at the mo but when I get it sorted I'll definitely let you know. Possibly Mayday weekend for a race.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I'm thinking of buying Wii Fit for (you guessed it) the Wii, and wondered if any forumites out there have tried it, and if so is it any good?

From the advert (the one with people in white suits from a perfect utopian society) it looks like a fun game for all the family, but when I had a look in the shop the box didn't really say anything about what there is to do on it, and I'm wary that it seems a bit gimmicky like one of those games that are fun when you first try it, but then becomes boring after the initial thrill.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Strikes me we could/should also have ps3 and xbox 360 user names in this thread- with that being said, mine is, predictably, 'nebagram' for both. Will edit this with my Wii console friends code when I next find it.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

My sister has got Wii Fit Dinos and she says it works, but I am sceptical about it all. I just think for £70 its alot of money. Theres probably alot of better things you can get with £70 :P.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:I'm thinking of buying Wii Fit for (you guessed it) the Wii, and wondered if any forumites out there have tried it, and if so is it any good?!
My brother's friend has not only got it, but has loaned it to my brother (well, me) whilst he's away for a week. I'll give it a go and get back to you.

Having smashed Wii Sports (15 Platinum medals on the training no less, just missing 300 on the bowling, rather like real life...), I'm seeking to get Mario Kart now as well as the USB adapter thing. Any tips on where to get either cheap are welcome. I'm pondering getting a few controllers and other games and seeking a bit of Don't Get Done Get Dom style bartering - so may have to frequent a store in any event.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:I'm seeking to get Mario Kart now as well as the USB adapter thing. Any tips on where to get either cheap are welcome. I'm pondering getting a few controllers and other games and seeking a bit of Don't Get Done Get Dom style bartering - so may have to frequent a store in any event.
I know at least, to get a cheaper game, you can buy a preowned copy. For Mario Karts though, its not going to be that much cheaper than the R.R.P because Mario Karts has not been out for long. Also you can get discounts if you traded in games, but I don't think you want a cheap game that way.

The best thing to do probably is shop around like you've said and see what the prices are and see if there are any current offers on. If there are offers, you may be able to extend the offers available like they do on DGDGD.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

For anyone who has Mario Kart, you should've recieved a message today to let you know that there is a new competition where you have to get the quickest time possible on Mario Curcuit.

The record currently is 1:33.779, but my best time so far is only 1:55.506, using Yoshi and the Mach Bike. Can anyone do any better?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I managed 1:41.893 using Wario standard kart and boosting over the ramp on each lap. Would help if I knew how to do a starting boost.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I just did 1:33.778.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:I managed 1:41.893 using Wario standard kart and boosting over the ramp on each lap. Would help if I knew how to do a starting boost.
When the countdown starts wait till the 2 starts to disappear and then press and hold the acceleration button. So the 2 must still be visible but disappearing. This should give you a boost at the start of the race if done right.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:I managed 1:41.893 using Wario standard kart and boosting over the ramp on each lap. Would help if I knew how to do a starting boost.
But can any of you beat my lap times on Super Monaco GP on the Game Gear? Or Micro Machines 2 and 96 on the Mega Drive? I think not.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gevin-Gavin wrote:
But can any of you beat my lap times on Super Monaco GP on the Game Gear? Or Micro Machines 2 and 96 on the Mega Drive? I think not.
On a multiplayer game your arse would be mine on the sponge. :p
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Joseph Bolas wrote:When the countdown starts wait till the 2 starts to disappear and then press and hold the acceleration button. So the 2 must still be visible but disappearing. This should give you a boost at the start of the race if done right.
Thanks for the tip. I'd tried pressing the accelerator at loadsa different times but never managed to get it!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:On a multiplayer game your arse would be mine on the sponge. :p
But you'd never touch my record laps. Do you have any records available for comparison?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:When the countdown starts wait till the 2 starts to disappear and then press and hold the acceleration button. So the 2 must still be visible but disappearing. This should give you a boost at the start of the race if done right.
Thanks for the tip. I'd tried pressing the accelerator at loadsa different times but never managed to get it!
I think what also works is revving a bit when the 3 shows, then when the 2 shows and then when the 1 shows. Then after revving on the 1, let off and then quickly press accelerate before GO shows.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:I'm thinking of buying Wii Fit for (you guessed it) the Wii, and wondered if any forumites out there have tried it, and if so is it any good?

From the advert (the one with people in white suits from a perfect utopian society) it looks like a fun game for all the family, but when I had a look in the shop the box didn't really say anything about what there is to do on it, and I'm wary that it seems a bit gimmicky like one of those games that are fun when you first try it, but then becomes boring after the initial thrill.

I had a 2 hour session on Friday night, so can give you a mini-review now. I really like it, and it's enjoyable, but I'm not sure I'll go and buy a copy for myself. That's mainly because my BMI is almost perfect and I go running for exercise though. If I had apsirations to get fitter (other than running further) then this would be perfect.

The game has 4 main disciplines. Yoga and Muscle Workouts will, over time, help improve your flexibility, posture, muscle strength and toning. You follow directions from a trainer, and the Wii board notes the weight distribution of your body - guiding you to the ideal. Balance Games and Aerobic Exercises are, of course, where the fun is. You can prove your virtual Hula-Hoop ability and go for a run in the latter, whereas you can head footballs, guide a bubble down a river and do some ski-slalom or jumping in the former. I found it easy to get into these, but unlike other addictive games this will knacker you out after a while.

For a family, or session with mates, seeing how unfit you all are, how pitiful your balance is and whether you have serious posture issues must be a great laugh. For a solo user though, the price tag is a stumbling block. It depends how much the Wii Board costs - because I can see it being fantastic for future games. If the game itself would be in the £30 range or less, I'd say it's worth a punt. There's enough in this to nullify the purchase of gym memberships, or indeed buying a Multigym (sorry Chuck), and it's the sort of thing you can return to at any time to see what shape you're in.

Hope that's of some use.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:I had a 2 hour session on Friday night, so can give you a mini-review now. I really like it, and it's enjoyable, but I'm not sure I'll go and buy a copy for myself. That's mainly because my BMI is almost perfect and I go running for exercise though. If I had apsirations to get fitter (other than running further) then this would be perfect.

The game has 4 main disciplines. Yoga and Muscle Workouts will, over time, help improve your flexibility, posture, muscle strength and toning. You follow directions from a trainer, and the Wii board notes the weight distribution of your body - guiding you to the ideal. Balance Games and Aerobic Exercises are, of course, where the fun is. You can prove your virtual Hula-Hoop ability and go for a run in the latter, whereas you can head footballs, guide a bubble down a river and do some ski-slalom or jumping in the former. I found it easy to get into these, but unlike other addictive games this will knacker you out after a while.

For a family, or session with mates, seeing how unfit you all are, how pitiful your balance is and whether you have serious posture issues must be a great laugh. For a solo user though, the price tag is a stumbling block. It depends how much the Wii Board costs - because I can see it being fantastic for future games. If the game itself would be in the £30 range or less, I'd say it's worth a punt. There's enough in this to nullify the purchase of gym memberships, or indeed buying a Multigym (sorry Chuck), and it's the sort of thing you can return to at any time to see what shape you're in.

Hope that's of some use.
It seems like it is worth the money, but because it would only be a solo-person use, at least for me anyway, its probably best to get the family to get me it as a birthday present :lol:.

EDIT: I should really get this though, because I do want to lose weight, but I don't want to go to the gym as its a public place and as youse know, I am nervous around people. Also then I will stop crash dieting and ending up in hospital with kidney failure :oops:.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Thanks a lot for the mini-review Dan. I've talked to some other people as well and I reckon I'm going to fork out the £70 and buy it. It sounds like there's lots to do and my brother and girlfriend would use it all the time. Possibly mum and dad as well. As for my general fitness I dont really have time for the gym but I do a lot of walking and go to karate twice a week, but eat whatever the hell I like! :D
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I had a few Wii races before and at the end of it all, I just wanted to throw the wavebird at the TV :lol:. For the first time ever I came last in 4 consequitive matches which is not normally the case as I tend to kick arse on the tracks :lol:.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

There is a new competition now that involves using the wheel alone and you have to go through 10 checkpoints in the fastest time possible.

IIRC my time on this was 1:23.676 with Yoshi on the Mach Bike.

Anyone beat that?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Yep - 1:23.675
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I'm afraid Corby did that joke 2 weeks ago...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joke? How dare you :x
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

Ha! I couldn't work out if he was joking or not either.

Perhaps you should add some kind of code on the rare occasions when you're not taking the piss.

[reallyisawolf]Like this?[/reallyisawolf]
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

M. George Quinn wrote:Ha! I couldn't work out if he was joking or not either.

Perhaps you should add some kind of code on the rare occasions when you're not taking the piss.

[reallyisawolf]Like this?[/reallyisawolf]
Maybe you could use an emoticon.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

M. George Quinn wrote:Perhaps you should add some kind of code on the rare occasions when you're not taking the piss.
Meh, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Anyone looking for some tough competition yet :lol:
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I know its been a while since someone last replied in this topic, but I'm still looking for people to compete against in races online. So far I have played against Dinos and I'm still hoping that if we can get enough players, then possibly there could be some sort of tournmanet held.

Joseph.

P.S. Also since this topic was last replied in, I tried the Wii Fit for the Wii and I found it to be utter rubbish. It said I was at my ideal weight and I know I'm not, so it's wrong :lol:.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

For the new members in the forum (since Charlie's plug), do any of youse have a Nintendo Wii and what games do you play?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I have a Wii and I have Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Carnival: Funfair Games, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Wii Fit and Big Brain Academy.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I have a Wii and I have Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Carnival: Funfair Games, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Wii Fit and Big Brain Academy.
How often do you play Mario Karts online Kai?

If you look at my earlier posts I'm looking for people to compete against in races online and I am hoping that if we can get enough players online, then we can do some type of tournament thingy.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:I have a Wii and I have Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Carnival: Funfair Games, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Wii Fit and Big Brain Academy.

If you look at my earlier posts I'm looking for people to compete against in races online and I am hoping that if we can get enough players online, then we can do some type of tournament thingy.
Soz, but I don't have online :( But, of course, if I did have it, I'd love to play with you... :D
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:

Soz, but I don't have online :( But, of course, if I did have it, I'd love to play with you... :D
That's a shame :(. If you ever do, I will look forward to a match :D
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Haven't done this in a while. Unfortunately my connection is fleeting at best but if you catch me on a good day will have to have a race.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Haven't done this in a while. Unfortunately my connection is fleeting at best but if you catch me on a good day will have to have a race.
It would be nice to race again :)

I have actually brought Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii so I will most likely spend my weekends playing that :D
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Joseph Bolas wrote:It would be nice to race again :)
Actually my internets just about completely gone to pot now so this looks unlikely for the foreseeable future :(
Joseph Bolas wrote:I have actually brought Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii so I will most likely spend my weekends playing that :D
Try reading the letters on the cover title that have little twinkling stars on them :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:It would be nice to race again :)
Actually my internets just about completely gone to pot now so this looks unlikely for the foreseeable future :(
I haven't actually played for a while :oops:, so it might be best to get some practice in :)
Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I have actually brought Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii so I will most likely spend my weekends playing that :D
Try reading the letters on the cover title that have little twinkling stars on them :)
:shock: :lol:

I wonder if the person who designed the front cover, knew/saw/found out what they spelled out :lol:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Mario Kart for me too. I'd hand anyone's arse to them on a plate.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I wonder if the person who designed the front cover, knew/saw/found out what they spelled out :lol:
No, it was a complete accident Image