St. George's Day

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Do you celebrate St. George's day?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:54 am

Yes, and I think more people should!
19%
Yes, but only as an excuse to drink
No votes
Yes, but only because friends and family are
No votes
Maybe, don't care either way
31%
No, it's not as important as the others such as St. Patrick's Day
13%
No, I'm not English so why would I?
31%
No, it's racist!
6%

Total votes: 16

Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

St. George's Day

Post by Derek Hazell »

It's St. George's Day this Thursday, and it seems to be becoming a bigger thing again lately. But, do you approve of these days to celebrate our country, or are you apathetic towards such things?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: St. George's Day

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I get the impression that many English people are only bothered to "celebrate" St George's Day because they see other people having fun on their national days and want a piece of the action. Sadly, being motivated purely by petty jealousy means that, for such people, marking the day becomes less about simply having fun and more likely to involve drunkenly aggressive displays of racism masquerading as "national pride".

April 23rd is significant to me for a number of reasons: it was my late father's birthday, it's Shakespeare's birthday (and the day he died) and it's also the anniversary of the death of my famous ancestor. St George's day comes pretty low down on the list, but I'm not sure it would matter to me any more if I were English. On St David's Day I occasionally bring daffodils into the house and might buy a packet of Welsh Cakes (because they're gorgeous, although you can't buy ones that taste anything like those my mum used to make on the griddle of the range in our kitchen), but that's as far as it goes. In my view, people who are truly patriotic wear it lightly.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I get the impression . . .
An excellent post with a lot to think about.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

"It's St George's day, the day when everyone in Britain gets together and says 'is it? I thought it was in October...'"

I don't celebrate it ;) Only learnt it was on April 23rd after reading Phil's post.

Actually, wasn't that the date when the Stratfordian Shakespeare was born and died? If so, that's a much cooler reason to remember the date.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

They don't know for sure if he was born on that day. He was christened on about the 25th or 26th, I think, but there were no birth certificates in those days.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kieran Child wrote:I don't celebrate it ;) Only learnt it was on April 23rd after reading Phil's post.

Actually, wasn't that the date when the Stratfordian Shakespeare was born and died?
Er, didn't read much of my post, did you? :(
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

You forgot to include "no, it's rubbish".
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ben Hunter wrote:You forgot to include "no, it's rubbish".
Also "No - why should I care?".
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:You forgot to include "no, it's rubbish".
Also "No - why should I care?".
Also, no, it's as insignificant to me as any other saint's day, except possibly St Nicholas, but that's cos it's my birthday and he bwings me pwesents later.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Image :D

I get off school for St.Patrick's.
We have many fun things to do in our school.

And it's near Easter.(sometimes)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:I get off school for St.Patrick's.
We have many fun things to do in our school.

And it's near Easter.(sometimes)
Yeh, in some countries the patron saints actually like the countries and give them bonuses, instead of being multiple countries' saint and making us go to school (Irish luck :x ).
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

None of the options are appropriate for me, either.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Wow, how many options do you all want? It could have ended up with so many options it would take too long to read and nobody would have voted. I was already worried that 7 might be a bit excessive.

After more than a decade on the Internet, I still can't create a decent poll . . . :cry:
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Derek Hazell wrote:Wow, how many options do you all want? It could have ended up with so many options it would take too long to read and nobody would have voted. I was already worried that 7 might be a bit excessive.

After more than a decade on the Internet, I still can't create a decent poll . . . :cry:
The options were all too detailed. In my case none fitted. I don't think I've ever celebrated St George's Day, so options 1-4 are eliminated. I don't regard any of the other national days as important, so 5 is discounted. I'm English, and I don't think celebrating St George's Day is at all racist, so that cuts out the other two options. A simple yes or no, and I'd certainly have been able to vote.

However, don't let this put you off. Very often the discussion that ensues from a poll is more interesting that the poll result.

I look forward to more. :)
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:Wow, how many options do you all want? It could have ended up with so many options it would take too long to read and nobody would have voted. I was already worried that 7 might be a bit excessive.

The options were all too detailed. In my case none fitted. I don't think I've ever celebrated St George's Day, so options 1-4 are eliminated. I don't regard any of the other national days as important, so 5 is discounted. I'm English, and I don't think celebrating St George's Day is at all racist, so that cuts out the other two options. A simple yes or no, and I'd certainly have been able to vote.

However, don't let this put you off. Very often the discussion that ensues from a poll is more interesting that the poll result.

I look forward to more. :)
What did St George do for us anyway, apart from killing a mythological dragon. I'm a Saint, but nobody bothers about me.