The Curious Race of Jenson Button

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ben Wilson
Legend

The Curious Race of Jenson Button

Post by Ben Wilson »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 970488.stm

I have to admit I was punching the air when I saw the race. Can't wait for Malaysia. :D
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Re: The Curious Race of Jenson Button

Post by Les Butterworth »

Excellent result for Jensen I think he is agreat driver who has suffered from contructual problems and previous car unreliability he does remind me of James Hunt at times and I hope he goes on to fully contest this years championship.

As you say Ben I am looking forward to Malaysia but most of the pundits see Spain as the leg when all competitive teams may be at their best.

Let us hope however that we are free from technical disputes and apeals etc though I doubt this will be the case.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Nice to see the cars looking twitchy and manoeuvrable again after years of appearing stuck to the tarmac. My enjoyment and anticipation is further heightened!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 970488.stm

I have to admit I was punching the air when I saw the race. Can't wait for Malaysia. :D
I was pretty pleased too. I got 8/1 on a Brawn GP 1-2 and after Barrichello's start and his whole race up to near the end things weren't looking great, so I was pretty pleased when Vettel and Kubica drove each other out of the race.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

While I admire his ability, I still personally feel Jenson is a traitor for wriggling his way out of TWO contractual agreements in the past, signing for Williams for 2005/6 but staying at BAR, then trying to stay when he was contracted to leave!! I'd much prefer Rubens to win after his being so under the thumb at Ferrari (while i love that team, I abhor what they did re teram orders etc, and agree with those who opine Schumacher needed no such help.), or Vettel.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Suddenly it was racing again. And you saw all the race, no more "while you were watching the adverts, this happened!"

However, I think those that did well may get disqualified over this row over diffusers, or whatever it is. FIA don't like straightforward racing...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kevin Thurlow wrote:Suddenly it was racing again. And you saw all the race, no more "while you were watching the adverts, this happened!"

However, I think those that did well may get disqualified over this row over diffusers, or whatever it is. FIA don't like straightforward racing...
From what I understand, if the FIA rule against the diffusers (and therefore also against its own stewards), then it will not be retrospective.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

It would be the unholy of unholies if the three diffuser-gate teams were excluded, because all of a sudden, look what would happen in the standings:

1 Lewis Hamilton
2 Fernando Alonso

What an irony that would be! Gavin, I read that the results of the Aus GP and possibly Malaysia may be annulled by the independent judges at their discretion, pending the ruling on 14 April.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:Suddenly it was racing again. And you saw all the race, no more "while you were watching the adverts, this happened!"

From what I understand, if the FIA rule against the diffusers (and therefore also against its own stewards), then it will not be retrospective.
IIRC the FIA have actually ruled that the diffusers are legal, and it's an appeal against this ruling (lodged by whingers like Briatore) that's being heard after Malaysia, so if the FIA do U-turn, expect some unhappiness from Brawn and the other teams. Not to mention most of the F1 fanbase.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Daniel O'Dowd wrote:It would be the unholy of unholies if the three diffuser-gate teams were excluded, because all of a sudden, look what would happen in the standings:

1 Lewis Hamilton
2 Fernando Alonso

What an irony that would be! Gavin, I read that the results of the Aus GP and possibly Malaysia may be annulled by the independent judges at their discretion, pending the ruling on 14 April.
If the diffusers are outlawed in the appeal then I think it would be similar to cases such as Renault's "mass damper" in 2006 and Michelin's tyres in 2003 when a later clarification of the rules led to them being outlawed but only affected future races. If the results in Australia and Malaysia are overturned then I think it will be without precedent. Since the FIA stewards ruled that they were legal, then I think that this will be binding for any races before the appeal.