Series 60 finals

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Kirk Bevins
God

Series 60 finals

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Is anybody on this forum going to be in the audience for the series 60 finals (recording Tuesday April 21st and Wednesday 22nd)? I think tickets for the Wednesday are sold out although I might be wrong.

It would be nice to know who will be in the audience and be nice who I'll get to meet/see again.
D Eadie
Devotee

Re: Series 60 finals

Post by D Eadie »

There will be drinky-poos afterwards and given that it'll be not only the last Countdown at Leeds, but the last ever show to be made in those historic studios, i think there is a strong argument for many people to get bladdered out of their minds.

No bias on my part at all, but would be poignant and fitting if a resident of Yorkshire were to win the last show.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

D Eadie wrote:There will be drinky-poos afterwards and given that it'll be not only the last Countdown at Leeds, but the last ever show to be made in those historic studios, i think there is a strong argument for many people to get bladdered out of their minds.

No bias on my part at all, but would be poignant and fitting if a resident of Yorkshire were to win the last show.
You should get bladdered before the shows, that would be just hilarious. I do have lessons on Tuesday, but I'd go if I were invited.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

D Eadie wrote:There will be drinky-poos afterwards and given that it'll be not only the last Countdown at Leeds, but the last ever show to be made in those historic studios, i think there is a strong argument for many people to get bladdered out of their minds.

I intend to have a few drinks but I'm teaching the next day and have an interview on the Friday. My intention is to stay out as late as I can on Wednesday as it is sure to be a momentous occasion.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I'll be there, but will probably have to drive back on Thursday evening :(
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

This is my excuse for not going. :cry:
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kai Laddiman wrote:This is my excuse for not going. :cry:
That's not on till after the finals though surely?
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

I'll be there on the Wednesday. So please don't bottle your QF match Kirk, seriously, 'cos then (and only then) my Bevatron Balloons will just look stupid.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:I'll be there on the Wednesday. So please don't bottle your QF match Kirk, seriously, 'cos then (and only then) my Bevatron Balloons will just look stupid.
Mate, if you really do have Bevatron Balloons then I'll be having your babies afterwards.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote:I'll be there on the Wednesday. So please don't bottle your QF match Kirk, seriously, 'cos then (and only then) my Bevatron Balloons will just look stupid.
Mate, if you really do have Bevatron Balloons then I'll be having your babies afterwards.
Why wait until afterwards?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'll be there, obviously.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Will come if I can :)
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Sorry can't be there but Imageto all that are.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Will come if I can :)
Really shouldn't be a problem at your age.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Our school has already won our regional final
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Oliver Garner wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Our school has already won our regional final
Regional final? So they do team stuff? My school never mentioned that (not that I can imagine we'd've done very well).
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Yes it is (aptly) called the Team Maths Challenge
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Oliver Garner wrote:Yes it is (aptly) called the Team Maths Challenge
What's the format (I know I could probably find out for myself, but it's easier to ask here). Do you just have a squad of 6 (or whatever) and sit papers like the IMO? Or do you work together on problems?
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Teams of 4 (maximum of 2 from the highest year(Year 9)), there is one for older pupils as well. There are 4 rounds. This can be explained on the website in more detail

1. Group Round: Whole group answers 10 questions in a time limit.

2. Crossnumber: Team is in 2 pairs, one pair doing the across clues and the other pair doing the down clues. A teacher marks your answers as you are going along.

3. Head to head: Your are in 2 pairs as before and there are 6 rounds of 4 questions (2 per pair) lasting 5 minutes and in each of these rounds, you are racing against a different school. You get bonus points if you beat the other school with all your answers correct.

4. Relay: In 2 pairs again, you are given a question and when you answer it, you run to a teacher who marks it. If it is correct, you run to your other pair (and so on).

Hope this helps
Oli
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Oliver Garner wrote: 4. Relay: In 2 pairs again, you are given a question and when you answer it, you run to a teacher who marks it. If it is correct, you run to your other pair (and so on).
Lollerskates.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Thanks for the explanation and yeah, that sounds pretty lolsome.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I think tickets for the Wednesday are sold out
As of five minutes ago when I spoke to Nick in the Countdown office, this was not the case. I'm now so excited I could... oh, I just did.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
As of five minutes ago when I spoke to Nick in the Countdown office, this was not the case. I'm now so excited I could... oh, I just did.
Could you enlighten me about the number you have to call to get tickets? Either here or via PM.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Paul Howe wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Could you enlighten me about the number you have to call to get tickets? Either here or via PM.
You need to contact Nick Charlwood on 0161 952 0408 or Nicholas.Charlwood@ITV.com.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:
You need to contact Nick Charlwood on 0161 952 0408 or Nicholas.Charlwood@ITV.com.
Nice one, thanks.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Does anyone know the AIRDATES for the finals?
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Yes - the first QF will be shown on Thursday June 11th.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

D Eadie wrote:Yes - the first QF will be shown on Thursday June 11th.
Sweet, thanks.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Which would make the Series 60 page on the countdownwiki wrong as it says the final is on the 26th June. Not sure where they got that data from.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

What a pity that the ERACLOSES conundrum has already been used, in the last series final. It would have been most fitting for this one too :cry:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Rich Priest wrote:What a pity that the ERACLOSES conundrum has already been used, in the last series final. It would have been most fitting for this one too :cry:
Well they can use it again ;)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Rich Priest wrote:What a pity that the ERACLOSES conundrum has already been used
This one was totally lost on me til now. I read it as ERAC LOSES :oops:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rich Priest wrote:What a pity that the ERACLOSES conundrum has already been used, in the last series final. It would have been most fitting for this one too :cry:
Damian suggested LEEDSBOOT, which works on both levels. Damn he's a clever dick.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Damian suggested LEEDSBOOT, which works on both levels. Damn he's a clever dick.
LEEDSLAST might be less controversial, though it only works on the one level.

Putting a more positive spin on the situation, you could have ERABEGINS if it wasn't for that damned "no -s plurals in Conundrums" rule.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I've just been emailed an offer of tickets to the Wednesday finals.
None of my kids are interested in going with me, and it seems a bit of a waste of an audience ticket to ask any of my friends to accompany me, as they're not Countdown fans.
Is anyone, roughly on my route (Hertfordshire M1 north, set off approx 9am to allow for a break half way), interested in a ticket and a lift?
I've been asked how many tickets I'd like, so possibly more than 2.
I've driven there and back in a day before in January, so know it's doable, but would be a bit of a boring journey on my own.
No probs otherwise, I'll just have to remember to take my Monty Python CDs! :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Julie T wrote:I've just been emailed an offer of tickets to the Wednesday finals.
None of my kids are interested in going with me, and it seems a bit of a waste of an audience ticket to ask any of my friends to accompany me, as they're not Countdown fans.
Is anyone, roughly on my route (Hertfordshire M1 north, set off approx 9am to allow for a break half way), interested in a ticket and a lift?
I've driven there and back in a day before in January, so know it's doable, but would be a bit of a boring journey on my own.
I'm definitely up for it. I live in Sheffield, which the M1 goes through, so I'd be able to accompany you for the last half hour or so of your journey.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Julie T wrote:I've just been emailed an offer of tickets to the Wednesday finals.
I'm definitely up for it. I live in Sheffield, which the M1 goes through, so I'd be able to accompany you for the last half hour or so of your journey.
Awesome, looks like C4C will be taking over the studio from both sides of the cameras...
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Ben Hunter wrote:
OK, Ben, that'd be great! :)
Google Maps reckons 51 mins from Sheffield, so I reckon I should try to get to yours approx 11:30am to be on the safe side.
I doubt that they'd overbook for the final, but I have arrived just on time for recordings of other shows (not Countdown) and not got in.

I'm willing to make one more stop off if anyone else is interested, and of course if they let me have 3 tickets.

P.S. Weds 22nd April. Just noticed I didn't mention which Weds! 8-)
Charlie Reams wrote: Awesome, looks like C4C will be taking over the studio from both sides of the cameras...
:D :D
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Looks like I should be coming as well now. Can Box Pizza cope with us all??
Nick Wainwright
Series 56 Champion

Post by Nick Wainwright »

I'll be coming too - look forward to seeing you all then.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'll phone Box Pizza in advance, these two days alone should be enough to get them through the recession.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

As no-one else replied, I've said 2 tickets now, since I didn't want to hang about and miss out on the offer of tickets if they thought I didn't want them.
Must be a big studio, if so many of us are going, as presumably there will be friends and family of the contestants too, as well as others who've applied.
The one I went to in January only seemed to have about 50/60 seats IIRC.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Shit, I've just been contacted by Nick to say there's tickets available if I want them. I'm off on a stag from the Friday after to the Monday, which would mean the whole week off work as I'd have to be travelling to/from Leeds on the Monday and Thursday. I really really wanna come but it's a big thing getting the time off work, plus I'd need babysitters etc as my other half works in the evenings. Don't think I can make it. Gutted :(
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:Shit, I've just been contacted by Nick to say there's tickets available if I want them. I'm off on a stag from the Friday after to the Monday, which would mean the whole week off work as I'd have to be travelling to/from Leeds on the Monday and Thursday.
Could you not at least make it for the semis and the final on the Wednesday? They don't start till 1:30 so you could work Monday and Tuesday and travel up on Wednesday morning.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Shit, I've just been contacted by Nick to say there's tickets available if I want them. I'm off on a stag from the Friday after to the Monday, which would mean the whole week off work as I'd have to be travelling to/from Leeds on the Monday and Thursday.
Could you not at least make it for the semis and the final on the Wednesday? They don't start till 1:30 so you could work Monday and Tuesday and travel up on Wednesday morning.
I could, but if I was going to that effort I'd want to be there for the whole lot.

My Dad is supposed to jump in at this point and offer babysitting or a lift or something to help out.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Jon Corby wrote: I could, but if I was going to that effort I'd want to be there for the whole lot.
It will seem a little odd to see the semis and the final, without seeing the quarters!
Still, better than the other way around, which was what I was originally offered.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I've been sent email confirmation that 2 tickets (me and Ben Hunter) will be in the post! :D :D

Offer of a lift, just on the Weds 22nd, along the M1 corridor, to anyone already going, is still valid.

Really excited! 8-)
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Jon Corby wrote:
My Dad is supposed to jump in at this point and offer babysitting or a lift or something to help out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Chris Corby wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Feeling comfortable on the spot there Chris? :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Julie T wrote:As no-one else replied, I've said 2 tickets now, since I didn't want to hang about and miss out on the offer of tickets if they thought I didn't want them.
Curses - this is what I get for not paying enough attention to the forums. Still, hope you (and everyone else going) has a good time.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Julie T wrote:As no-one else replied, I've said 2 tickets now, since I didn't want to hang about and miss out on the offer of tickets if they thought I didn't want them.
Curses - this is what I get for not paying enough attention to the forums. Still, hope you (and everyone else going) has a good time.
you could always email Nick yourself and ask: Charlwood, Nicholas <Nicholas.Charlwood@ITV.com>
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Julie T wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
you could always email Nick yourself and ask: Charlwood, Nicholas <Nicholas.Charlwood@ITV.com>
Thanks, I guess there's no harm in asking :)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Which would make the Series 60 page on the countdownwiki wrong as it says the final is on the 26th June. Not sure where they got that data from.
Only just seen this thread. And as I was reading Damien's post I realised that 26th June is obviously wrong. IIRC correctly, it was a post by Damien which first said that the final would be on 26th June (but of course I could be wrong). As it's now going to be one week earlier than I'd thought, I think it means that Neil's certain qualification for the finals could be as early as this week.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'm gonna try to make a complete list of C4Cers who will be at the finals. It's at least the following:

Kirk & Neil (obviously)
Damian, Kate, Lara, Danielle (obviously)
Team Kirk (me & Sid)
JulieT & Ben Hunter
Phil
Nick
Mike Brown
Junaid
Rich Priest
Possibles: Paul, Dinos and Raccoon.

That's quite impressive, even before you add in the other members who might make the finals as contestants. Did I miss anyone?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

My ticket arrived in the post today. Woo-hoo! I'm very excited. 8-) (Interestingly, the envelope is postmarked Manchester - has the migration begun already or has the audience booking office always been based there?)

The accompanying letter entreats me to let Nick know ASAP if I'm unable to use my ticket. This suggests that only as many tickets as there are places in the audience are issued. Is that right? Most TV shows deliberately overbook their audiences on the principle that a certain percentage of people won't turn up. I hope my ticket guarantees me a seat in the studio - I'd be gutted to drive all the way up there and then have to watch the final on a monitor from some holding area.

I'd love to have been in Leeds for both days, but have a prior commitment on the Tuesday. However, apart from being at the studio for the Wednesday afternoon, I'm also booked into the hotel for the night so will be around for the revelries....
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

I wish we could be at the finals - I'd spoken to Nick and was about to ask him to send me some tickets when Kai came home and told me about the maths challenge on the same day. I did contemplate coming up on my own, but I don't think Kai would ever speak to me again. On second thoughts, I wonder if there are any tickets left - I don't get much sensible conversation out of Kai at the best of times anyway! :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Naomi Laddiman wrote:I wish we could be at the finals - I'd spoken to Nick and was about to ask him to send me some tickets when Kai came home and told me about the maths challenge on the same day. I did contemplate coming up on my own, but I don't think Kai would ever speak to me again. On second thoughts, I wonder if there are any tickets left - I don't get much sensible conversation out of Kai at the best of times anyway! :)
Do it - come join the fun! Last ever show in the Leeds studios - come join the c4c party.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Naomi Laddiman wrote:I wish we could be at the finals - I'd spoken to Nick and was about to ask him to send me some tickets when Kai came home and told me about the maths challenge on the same day. I did contemplate coming up on my own, but I don't think Kai would ever speak to me again. On second thoughts, I wonder if there are any tickets left - I don't get much sensible conversation out of Kai at the best of times anyway! :)
Do it - come join the fun! Last ever show in the Leeds studios - come join the c4c party.
IAWTP. Can't you bring Callum?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Howard Somerset wrote:Only just seen this thread. And as I was reading Damien's post I realised that 26th June is obviously wrong. IIRC correctly, it was a post by Damien which first said that the final would be on 26th June (but of course I could be wrong). As it's now going to be one week earlier than I'd thought, I think it means that Neil's certain qualification for the finals could be as early as this week.
Just checked. I was wrong. It wasn't Damien, or even Damian, who gave the 26th June date. The date was give as a possibility in this thread, and as a result it was put into the wiki. Wiki's now been corrected.
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
IAWTP. Can't you bring Callum?
I'm not sure that Kai would ever forgive me, especially if I took Cal out of school and not him - I might have to try some serious bribing!