Username

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Michael Macdonald-Cooper

Username

Post by Michael Macdonald-Cooper »

A question for Charlie, I think.

When joining the forum in its early days I neglected to read how I should have gone about this. Everybody but me has done the right thing and given themselves a proper user name. Can I change my user name from Michael to Michael Macdonald-Cooper without leaving the forum and rejoining?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Username

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yes, I'll change it for you. Remember to use your full name to log in from now on.
Michael Macdonald-Cooper

Thanks for that, Charlie.

I'd also like to thank David O'Donnell, Julian Fell and Jason Larsen for the undeservedly kind things they've said about me in earlier posts.

I don't know whether Tim Reypert reads contributions to the forum, but I'd like anyway to offer congratulations to him on an impressive set of results.

Perhaps we'll soon be seeing a series 58 octochamp who's domiciled in England?!?
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Not sure if Michael is English or Scottish, although I'd guess English from his accent. Otherwise, all the top recent contestants have been from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. When I went for my audition they noted that only 1 of the 45 applicants had passed the recent London audition. If England had declared independence from the rest of Britain last year, I'd probably be an Octochamp by now.... Then again, there was an auditioner at mine who was very impressive, I assume he'll be appearing soon.
Michael Macdonald-Cooper

Scottish, though educated in England when younger (they say one's education never ends, though).
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

It sure doesn't. I've learnt more from 4 years of basically browsing Wikipedia and watching QI than I did from 3 years of university. You have to keep learning to keep working nowadays, you need to be able to learn new skills, master new technologies and adjust to new attitudes.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

You should be a motivational speaker *wipes tear from eye*.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Michael Macdonald-Cooper wrote:Thanks for that, Charlie.

I'd also like to thank David O'Donnell, Julian Fell and Jason Larsen for the undeservedly kind things they've said about me in earlier posts.

I don't know whether Tim Reypert reads contributions to the forum, but I'd like anyway to offer congratulations to him on an impressive set of results.

Perhaps we'll soon be seeing a series 58 octochamp who's domiciled in England?!?
I look forward to meeting you at the finals, Michael. Did I recall correctly that you play chess? If that is the case I may bring a set with me.
Michael Macdonald-Cooper

Yes, David, I do play chess, but am woefully out of pratice. It would be very enjoyable to renew acquaintance with the board and pieces, though my opening, endgame and middle game theory stops somewhere in the 1850s, I think (that's Anno Domini, not Elo rating).

Look forward to meeting you!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

I am really rusty too, Michael, having not played club chess since I moved back to Omagh. My first chess book was Howard Staunton's, "The Chess Player's Handbook" so quite a few of my openings are from the romantic era too.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

quite a few of my openings are from the romantic era too
Sounds like an entry in the Chris Wills love diaries.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Damian E wrote:
quite a few of my openings are from the romantic era too
Sounds like an entry in the Chris Wills love diaries.
:D Though that's quite a few digs you've made at Chris's expense. I mean, is he not human? If you prick him does he not bleed? (Oh wait, now I am doing it too).
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

He loves it David. Just loves it.
steve D

Post by steve D »

Sorry I didn't realize that at first when I had to register and log in :!: :oops: