Desktop Publishing

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Desktop Publishing

Post by Debbi Flack »

I'm secretary for our local drama group, and have to produce things like posters, newsletters, magazine articles etc. Can anyone recommend a good, easy to use publishing package. I've had a nose around on the web, but would appreciate some feedback from people who have used various packages.

Thanks
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Desktop Publishing

Post by Michael Wallace »

What operating system are you on? (I'm presuming Windows, but figured I'd check)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Debbi Flack wrote:I'm secretary for our local drama group, and have to produce things like posters, newsletters, magazine articles etc. Can anyone recommend a good, easy to use publishing package.
QuarkXPress and InDesign are the two de facto standards in the graphic design industry - both are good but expensive. For your needs, you'd probably find that you can do everything you want and more in Microsoft Word (much though it pains me to say it).
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Michael - I'm using Windows Vista

Phil - thanks. I'm using Word at the mo, but it doesn't always do quite what I want (although that may well be a case of PICNIC!).
:oops:
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Or OpenOffice, if you want something which is basically the same as Word except £0 rather than £120 or whatever it is now.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:Or OpenOffice, if you want something which is basically the same as Word except £0 rather than £120 or whatever it is now.
When I mentioned to my dad that I was running Linux his first comment was "well, you get what you pay for".

That comment still makes me want to eat my fist.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Or OpenOffice, if you want something which is basically the same as Word except £0 rather than £120 or whatever it is now.
When I mentioned to my dad that I was running Linux his first comment was "well, you get what you pay for".

Would he be interested in subscribing to Apterous at the low low rate of £200 a month? You really do get what you pay for.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Haha, quality - that made me chuckle.
I think Linux is great, but I get just as annoyed by Linux users who think everyone should use it, as Linux users do by people putting down the OS.
I could never give up Windows because I love games, and it isn't worth the hassle of dual booting just to experience a slightly more efficient webdev environment.