CO:LON - 24th August 2024 - Countdown in London - sponsored by Word Game Geeks

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Phil Stanton

CO:LON - 24th August 2024 - Countdown in London - sponsored by Word Game Geeks

Post by Phil Stanton »

I'm pleased to announce CO:LON - Countdown in London 2024 – a FOCAL Countdown event, supported by generous sponsorship from Word Game Geeks.

For those who don’t know, Word Game Geeks is the company name used by Countdown Series 63 Champion Jack Hurst to publish his very popular (and better than the official!) Countdown app for Android devices.
Download it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... =web_share

WHEN
Saturday 24th August 2024
Doors open at 10:45 am, with the first round draw taking place shortly after.
Gameplay starts at 11:30.

WHERE & GETTING THERE
“The Venue”, The O2 Centre, 255 Finchley Road, London NW3 6LU
We’ll be in “The Venue”, on the top floor … the event will be clearly signposted.

The O2 Centre is a small shopping centre located just a 2-minute walk from Finchley Road Underground Station on the Jubilee and Metropolitan Lines, or a 4-minute walk from Finchley Road & Frognal Overground Station.

It’s reachable in around 20 to 25 minutes via public transport from all the major train stations in London, as well as being well served by bus routes.

It’s also just a 5-minute walk from JW3, home of the Mind Sports Olympiad, who typically host their own Countdown event the following day, for those of you planning to do the double.

If you feel compelled to drive, there is paid parking in the O2 Centre car park.

If you’re a Parkrunner, the nearest one to the venue is Hampstead Heath, just over a mile away on foot, or a short trip by bus or Overground.
If you’re overnighting the night before, you might also find one closer to your accommodation … London has plenty of them!

WHAT
You’ll be playing 9-round games of Countdown in the “Bristol” format, where everyone plays in pairs from the same selections projected on a big screen, and with each pair choosing their preferred numbers round format … all will be explained on the day for anyone unfamiliar, and we’ll start with a practice round.
There should be time for 8 games in total, followed by the top two players on the day facing off in a grand final.

As with most Countdown events, the first round will be drawn randomly, but don't worry if you have a bumpy start - for the remaining games you will be playing opponents that have scored similarly to you, so everyone should get some good, well matched games. The primary aim is to have fun!

And of course there will be prizes!

FOOD & DRINK
Within the O2 Centre itself is an ALDI Local, a big Sainsburys, an alcohol-free Italian restaurant called Zero Zero (been there, it’s decent), a Nandos, and a coffee shop. There are also various places outside the Centre within easy reach.
You are also welcome to bring your own food, but please note that alcohol is not allowed to be consumed at the venue.

We will have access to a small kitchen in the venue itself, but currently no kettle or cups! I’ll try and make arrangements to rectify that in time.

AFTER THE EVENT
It’s London … I’m sure we’ll find something to do!
I’ll plan something on that front nearer the time, for those that are sticking around on the Saturday evening.

SIGN ME UP!
The entry fee is £12, but if you sign up (and pay!) before 30th June 2024, entry is discounted to £10.
Please pay by Paypal using this link: https://paypal.me/stantonphil/10GBP
Please ensure you select the Family and Friends option when paying, and include a note about what the payment is for, and also who you are if your Paypal name doesn’t match your preferred name for some reason :P
If you can't pay via Paypal, then please contact me and we'll work something out.

Please note that your name will be added to the attendees list on www.c4countdown.co.uk and the Facebook Event page. If you would prefer for this not to happen, please let me know when you sign up.

I look forward to seeing you there!

CONFIRMED ENTRANTS
1. Adam Latchford
2. Coral Heath
3. Fiona Titcombe
4. Tom Carey
5. Mauro Pratesi
6. Jessica Pratesi
7. Joseph Bartram
Last edited by Phil Stanton on Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Re: CO:LON 2024 - Countdown in London

Post by Thomas Carey »

are there multiple word game geeks or is it just jack
cheers maus
Phil Stanton

Re: CO:LON 2024 - Countdown in London

Post by Phil Stanton »

Thomas Carey wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:24 am are there multiple word game geeks or is it just jack
I cannot comment on the size of Jack's geekdom.