Spoilers for Thursday 8th February 2024 (Series 89, Heat 28)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Philip A
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday 8th February 2024 (Series 89, Heat 28)

Post by Philip A »

R2: MASTOID, MIKADOS
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 8th February 2024 (Series 89, Heat 28)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Although not as long as FACTOTUM, TACTFUL was the standard method contestant-beater in round 4.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:46 pm Although not as long as FACTOTUM, TACTFUL was the standard method contestant-beater in round 4.
I got FACTOTUM, but the lack of E always makes the game harder IMO.
Series 78 Runner-up
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

“Unpowder” was unfortunate. Very unlucky, Katharine. I’m sorry to see you go so soon.
Series 78 Runner-up
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

I think MASTOID was there in round 1.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

She looked as if she saw the right answer as she was actually half way through giving the wrong one. I wonder what they'd have done if she'd said something like "UNPOWD ... Oh no, GUNPOWDER". You are the ref . . .

I think I'd have to say that she lost, and she shouldn't be able to profit by actually giving the answer away completely, so any sort of rerun would be wrong. Maybe just refilm the same conundrum with her not buzzing at all.
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

IDIOTAS also in R2
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

DIATOMS too
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

David Williams wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:52 pm I wonder what they'd have done if she'd said something like "UNPOWD ... Oh no, GUNPOWDER". You are the ref . . .

I think I'd have to say that she lost, and she shouldn't be able to profit by actually giving the answer away completely, so any sort of rerun would be wrong. Maybe just refilm the same conundrum with her not buzzing at all.
My guess is the conundrum would have to be thrown out and redone with another one. The same rule applies for University Challenge where if the player accidentally blurts out the correct answer after an incorrect response, the host will throw the question out (happened in 2022 or 2023 iirc when Jeremy Paxman was still the host).
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Lam wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:44 am
David Williams wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:52 pm I wonder what they'd have done if she'd said something like "UNPOWD ... Oh no, GUNPOWDER". You are the ref . . .

My guess is the conundrum would have to be thrown out and redone with another one. The same rule applies for University Challenge where if the player accidentally blurts out the correct answer after an incorrect response, the host will throw the question out (happened in 2022 or 2023 iirc when Jeremy Paxman was still the host).
That seems the wrong way. Would she still be allowed to buzz in this scenario? Are the team that blurted out the answer in UC allowed to buzz for the new question?

You shouldn't benefit from your mess-ups.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:55 am
Ryan Lam wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:44 am

That seems the wrong way. Would she still be allowed to buzz in this scenario? Are the team that blurted out the answer in UC allowed to buzz for the new question?

You shouldn't benefit from your mess-ups.
I’m quite sure the answer to both questions is no. They have, in the past, replaced spoilt conundrums for only the player who is not yet frozen out to answer. FWIW I would have disallowed, “UNPOWD… oh, GUNPOWDER.” They should always take the first guess uttered, complete or not. One answer.

They’ve even asked players who solved the conundrum to do a bit of acting: wait 5 seconds before buzzing in with the right answer in a re-take. Welcome to TV.

Now that conundrums are digital, it’s a lot easier to re-take them now, when necessary. They can cut out conundrums in lengthy tie-breakers too.

At least a re-take wasn’t necessary on this occasion. It was an unfortunate case of one doing the work and the other getting the bonus. These things happen.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Long wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:00 pm I think MASTOID was there in round 1.
This was round 2 btw.