Jeopardy!

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Jeopardy!

Post by Jojo Apollo »

A reminder that the classic quiz returns today at 5.45pm on ITV1 hosted by Stephen Fry. :)
Philip A
Kiloposter

Re: Jeopardy!

Post by Philip A »

Definitely feels more sedate than the U.S. version, but I enjoy playing. If recommissioned I think the show and Fry will gather pace. Liked the humour in some of the categories.

When I watch, I pretend to buzz in between clue being read and contestant buzzing in.
Series 78 Runner-up
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Quite a painful watch, needs to find a way of putting some pace into it. Is it money they are accumulating or just points? Wasn't clear what happens to the winner going forward, does he take his "money" with him?
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:52 am Quite a painful watch, needs to find a way of putting some pace into it. Is it money they are accumulating or just points? Wasn't clear what happens to the winner going forward, does he take his "money" with him?
I think it's the money they are accumulating. They need to get back to the 90's UK version, shorter format and more tense Final Jeopardy music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeDkRe3v26U
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Jojo Apollo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:08 pm
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:52 am Quite a painful watch, needs to find a way of putting some pace into it. Is it money they are accumulating or just points? Wasn't clear what happens to the winner going forward, does he take his "money" with him?
I think it's the money they are accumulating. They need to get back to the 90's UK version, shorter format and more tense Final Jeopardy music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeDkRe3v26U
Yes, this. It’s real money and there’s no limit to number of wins allowed, you keep adding to your winnings until you’re dethroned. Not winning a game, however, means you don’t keep your winnings. If your reign ends, you just keep the total money won in previous shows. Your last score doesn’t count. Same in the USA.

Only 20 shows though, because they’re testing the waters.

Edit: I am reliably informed there are consolation prizes of £300 and £100 for 2nd/3rd place.
Last edited by Philip A on Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Series 78 Runner-up
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Why do ITV insist on stretching out shows that are perfectly fine being 30 minutes long to an hour? So annoying.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Martin Hurst wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:40 am Why do ITV insist on stretching out shows that are perfectly fine being 30 minutes long to an hour? So annoying.
Yeah so many shows can go back to being 30 minutes with a maximum of just one short ad break but they no doubt want to increase revenue from the extra long ad breaks. Also too much time wasted on idle chatter/waffle, nowadays I just record the shows and fast forward past the ads and idle chatter, saves so much time.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jojo Apollo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:57 pm
Martin Hurst wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:40 am Why do ITV insist on stretching out shows that are perfectly fine being 30 minutes long to an hour? So annoying.
Yeah so many shows can go back to being 30 minutes with a maximum of just one short ad break but they no doubt want to increase revenue from the extra long ad breaks. Also too much time wasted on idle chatter/waffle, nowadays I just record the shows and fast forward past the ads and idle chatter, saves so much time.
Did I hear right, on tomorrow's show, Kai Laddiman?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:59 pm
Jojo Apollo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:57 pm
Did I hear right, on tomorrow's show, Kai Laddiman?
Yeah believe so and looks like him. Will be good to see how he does, always a friendly likeable chap during the early Apterous days.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Good to see Kai all grown up
He was great at the anagram questions obvs.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

awful fucking show from the 10 mins I watched. never seen the US version to compare though.

the "answer with a question" thing is one of the lamest USPs I've ever seen as most of the time the grammar doesn't even fit so it just ends up meaning "say any interrogative word of your choice, then say the answer"
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:28 am awful fucking show from the 10 mins I watched. never seen the US version to compare though.

the "answer with a question" thing is one of the lamest USPs I've ever seen as most of the time the grammar doesn't even fit so it just ends up meaning "say any interrogative word of your choice, then say the answer"
I quickly got over the who is or what is shtick (apparently who is or what is works for a lot of answers.
I like the category choices.
The other day it was the Spice Girls names and Spices as the group on the board.
Inventive categories like "contains all the vowels" are good.

My only gripe is that there is an ad break in the middle of a round
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

And in the middle of your sentence.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

It’s a very simple format (which I know and love) and yet some viewers still don’t fully understand how it works. I think Stephen Fry should outline the rules properly at the very beginning of each show as most people don’t necessarily know of the US format; answers must be in the form of a “Who/What” question; players can only buzz in after the clue has been read; only the person with most money at the end keeps the money and returns to play the game again next show, etc.
Series 78 Runner-up
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Philip A wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:07 pm It’s a very simple format (which I know and love) and yet some viewers still don’t fully understand how it works. I think Stephen Fry should outline the rules properly at the very beginning of each show as most people don’t necessarily know of the US format; answers must be in the form of a “Who/What” question; players can only buzz in after the clue has been read; only the person with most money at the end keeps the money and returns to play the game again next show, etc.
Ive always, assumed all players keep monies won or else why don't they buy the farm if they need to double moneyit to potentially win?
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:43 am
Philip A wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:07 pm It’s a very simple format (which I know and love) and yet some viewers still don’t fully understand how it works. I think Stephen Fry should outline the rules properly at the very beginning of each show as most people don’t necessarily know of the US format; answers must be in the form of a “Who/What” question; players can only buzz in after the clue has been read; only the person with most money at the end keeps the money and returns to play the game again next show, etc.
Ive always, assumed all players keep monies won or else why don't they buy the farm if they need to double moneyit to potentially win?
No. Only the winner keeps the money, as Stephen Fry said on The One Show last month. That’s why the losing scores are blanked out at the end. The losers don’t keep the money but instead receive consolation cash. I am reliably informed the 2nd/3rd place players receive £300 and £100. In the US it’s $2,000 and $1,000. This saves money and also incentivises winning the game.

On Wheel of Fortune everyone keeps the money (the only positive of that revival tbh).

Trouble with betting the farm is if you’re down to £0, you can’t win. If all three players finish on £0 (and this has happened a few times stateside), no-one wins and the next show introduces 3 newcomers. If you have £1, you’re still in. Two players in the Trebek era have won with $1.

Still, you could potentially win well over £100,000 if you have the general knowledge, the reflexes and can bet well.

But, if they’re going to re-introduce U.S. formats to the UK, this is not it. 60 minutes, really? I like the quality of the question writing and the contestants though.
Series 78 Runner-up
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Great episode today
The game theorist used his skills well
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »