Spoilers for Tuesday 19th December 2023 (Series 88, Quarter Final 4)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Tuesday 19th December 2023 (Series 88, Quarter Final 4)

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

Really good game there, shame to see George go.

DILATORS also in Round 12
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 19th December 2023 (Series 88, Quarter Final 4)

Post by Ryan Lam »

As we venture closer to Christmas each day, the outfits the regulars are wearing on-screen gets more and more relevant to that. Susie's outfit reminds me of those waitresses serving at the bar and I'm sure those who are working out there will be busy for the next two weeks that's for sure! Interesting that Colin asks where do the Finalists place their teapots, maybe he just wants to make sure they don't leave it to collect dust or give it away to someone else! Today's show is the one to watch, to see if George can pull off an upset or not!

Letters: Great start with both contestants tying all the way up to the Anecdote section today, especially with EMPOWERS in R5 and not to mention AUDITION the round before! People who are new and watching the episode today be like "What's going on with these two blokes?" ;) George manages to claw back some points when Paul has an invalid word nectoral in R7, and you can feel him if he had GRAPIEST in R8 next but didn't risk it :( After the second break, as the stakes get higher, George goes wrong with claused in R10, easy mistake to make though and with him getting Susie's hated word of MOIST in R13, it was a do or die situation for him in the final Numbers Round! (On a sidenote, credit goes to Christopher Biggins who got DOWNSTAGE in R11, not sure if either contestant had it but didn't risk as I couldn't decipher their facial expressions)

Numbers: Decent R3 to start off rather than those much easier 1 Large rounds for the last three Quarter-Finals. With the tie up to R6, I knew George was going to go with 6 Small there, but it backfires as he uses a "5" twice and Paul gets into the lead, oh no! :( At least he made up some points in R7 afterwards as I mentioned above, and with an easy R9 to whizz by, came the all important R14. Argh, CECIL generates a small and manageable target, it was certainly game over for him unless Paul screwed up, and that didn't happen, meaning Paul was the victor!

Conundrum: Well, the first ENID I think of at this time of year is (obviously) Enid Blyton, and she's not that ugly right? :lol: Glad I got this one quite fast again due to the way it was arranged similar to the one last Thursday and George got it in the nick of time! With that, all four Quarter-Final conundrums are solved, a rare feat! :)

Great game to watch today and I always predicted this game was going to be close with either contestant winning by less than ten points with or without a Crucial Conundrum. In the end, Paul won with a margin of just three points, so that was somewhat accurate. Poor George, had the Conundrum been crucial he would have snatched victory from the jaws of defeat and you can only feel for him :( However, the fact that he was relieved he would not face Harry Savage tomorrow probably implied that he had spent most, if not all his energy here leaving him open to attacks the next day. Hope your business flourishes despite what I think may have been disappointment from your watch party if there was any watching live from where you were and that you will be busy serving your customers with lots of food this festive season! Don't forget to pour out extra pints from your Countdown teapot too, but make sure people don't get too tipsy or high! :lol:

Half of the Finalists eliminated, will Harry defeat Paul like a piece of cake in the first Semi-Finals tomorrow or would Paul resist as much as what Adam Dexter did in the previous Series? Let's see if Rachel's statement of Numbers Round being the crucial factor in determining who wins and loses will come to fruition!

Progress:
QF1 (14 December 2023): Harry Savage (#1) vs David Edwards (#8) (118 - 58)
QF2 (15 December 2023): Viraj Seelam (#2) vs Rachel Copley (#7) (103 - 59)
QF3 (18 December 2023): Ben Bazzard (#3) vs Caroline McManus (#6) (124 - 61)
QF4 (19 December 2023): Paul O'Brien (#4) vs George Baker (#5) (100 - 97)
SF1 (20 December 2023): Harry Savage (QF1 Winner) vs Paul O'Brien (QF4 Winner)
SF2 (21 December 2023): Viraj Seelam (QF2 Winner) vs Ben Bazzard (QF3 Winner)
GF (22 December 2023): (SF1 Winner) vs (SF2 Winner)
Philip A
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 19th December 2023 (Series 88, Quarter Final 4)

Post by Philip A »

Very good game.

R13 alt: MORALIST
Series 78 Runner-up