A new telly show.

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jeremy Miles

A new telly show.

Post by Jeremy Miles »

This may be a little off topic for this forum but I was chatting at COLIN about a new game show. I've got a few more details if anyone is interested:

‘Word Play’ will take over the ‘Going for Gold’ slot on Channel 5 at the end of March. It will see four contestants go head to head across a series of word and number based puzzles, losing a contestant throughout each stage of the show leaving one player at the end to play for the cash prize which varies each day.

The show will be shot in a central London studio. The series will be cast through online/written applications and telephone auditions.

If anyone is interested please email quiz@luckydaytv.co.uk
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Re: A new telly show.

Post by Jason Larsen »

It's a shame that the new Going for Gold didn't get renewed! I've never seen it!
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

The new Going for Gold is spoilt by countless phone-in competitions and reminders of the phone number. It's just a money making vehicle.

What used to be a great quiz (with Henry Kelly on the BEEB) has been ruined by channel 5/FIVE.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Ironically, I was trying to look for clips of the new Going for Gold today, but the person who had those clips up had their account removed from Youtube!
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Jason Larsen wrote:Ironically, I was trying to look for clips of the new Going for Gold today, but the person who had those clips up had their account removed from Youtube!
Out of embarassment no doubt. ;)

It really seems cheaply put together, I mean the original wasn't big budget or anything but it was way better than this dog's breakfast, with better prizes too. Didn't Daphne from Eggheads win the first one in 1988 (trip to Seoul for the Olympics if I recall correctly)?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jojo Apollo wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:Ironically, I was trying to look for clips of the new Going for Gold today, but the person who had those clips up had their account removed from Youtube!

It really seems cheaply put together, I mean the original wasn't big budget or anything but it was way better than this dog's breakfast, with better prizes too. Didn't Daphne from Eggheads win the first one in 1988 (trip to Seoul for the Olympics if I recall correctly)?
Apparently she got there but spent ages trying to find the Olympic stadium. It took a lot of Seoul searching.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Apparently she got there but spent ages trying to find the Olympic stadium. It took a lot of Seoul searching.
Haha, that's not bad at all!
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

'Going for Gold' follows 'Countdown' on France 3, in France. The French equivalents, clearly. And they also run them six days a week, not five. So they need about 300 episodes a year, I don't think either of them takes a break, certainly we watched them both on New Year's Eve, but New Year's Day, well we were busy.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Ok
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:

Apparently she got there but spent ages trying to find the Olympic stadium. It took a lot of Seoul searching.
:lol: Good one.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

How do you remember all of that so well?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Jeremy, do you know any more about the format of Word Play? And what about prizes? Is there anything worth winning?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Oh, I wasn't paying any attention to the name of the show! It's called "Word Play!"

We had a show on in America called, "Wordplay" (one word) 22 years ago. It was about etymology. It didn't last long.