dress code

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Roxanne
Rookie

dress code

Post by Roxanne »

Honestly, some of the outfits I see on Countdown contestants make me cringe. A cat-sick yellow shirt with a "jazzy" tie, a polo shirt with silly pictures on it worn by someone over the age of four, and what I can only presume was a man's shirt on what I could just about recognise as a woman. There are plenty of examples of people getting it right as well; the Scottish woman on last week was dressed-up without being over the top, and she had hair that was short but still feminine.

For men, it's quite simple; for younger men just a casual or plain short sleeved shirt with no tie is fine (no flames please, Paul Zenon can only get away with tacky clothes because they go with his act). Older men can wear any long sleeved shirt with a tie that goes with it; if you're no good at colours then go to M&S and get a shirt and tie set.

Women, make an effort! wear something with a bit of embellishment or a low neckline (a good bra goes a long way. In some cases, all the way from your lap back to your chest where they belong), and put on some make up and jewellery. It's better to be overdone than not bother at all, because at least it shows that you've made an effort.

I know there are bound to be people on here of the "looks don't matter, it's what's on the inside that counts" mindset, but they really don't understand the psychological impact that looks have on yourself and the people around you. Looking good makes you feel so much more confident in yourself, and makes people judge you more positively. The first thing people notice about you is the way that you look, and if their initial impression is positive, they then notice your positive traits over your negative traits (see the Halo Effect). Basically, looks do matter, they make what's on the inside count.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Re: dress code

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Roxanne wrote:I know there are bound to be people on here of the "looks don't matter, it's what's on the inside that counts" mindset, but they really don't understand the psychological impact that looks have on yourself and the people around you. Looking good makes you feel so much more confident in yourself
Um... I would be one of those people. And believe it or not I'm extremely confident. Possibly because I have proper inner confidence and don't succomb to the superficial message that only attractive people are worth anything. And anyway, what about taste? Just because you don't like particular looks, doesn't mean others don't. There are whole social groupings of women who wear men's shirts and find each other extremely attractive. The first woman I ever kissed wore men's clothes and a pair of DM boots, and the whole combination made my heart melt.

I'm very happy to be the kind of person who can leave the house after only a minute's cursory preparation and still hold my head high and enjoy my day - rather than cast glances all around me, feeling insecure about what others might think and wasting valuable time and money on pointless grooming.

Not that I don't care at all - I pay a small amount of attention to hair and make-up and I have tons of colourful clothes I'm extremely fond of, and occasionally enjoy splashing out on new ones, but I'm willing to bet I'll be one of the contestants that has you tutting to yourself when you see me on the telly in a few weeks.

Basically everyone is different. People have different priorities, different tastes, different things which make them confident - or not - but I can't help thinking that your post above, rather than give contestants the confidence bost you seem to think they need, is more likely to have them all sobbing into their shoes!
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

How are blind people impacted by the appearance of those around them? It baffles me how you choose Countdown to rant about dress code. Kindly that bullshit elsewhere.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Roxanne wrote:a polo shirt with silly pictures on it worn by someone over the age of four
If that's aimed at me, I'd like to point out that my shirt was custom-made as a hat-tip to a very large group of people on another internet forum who sponsored me to the tune of a couple of grand the first time I was on, as part of a fundraiser for the children's hospital who performed successful open-heart surgery on my 9 month old daughter, who would otherwise probably now be dead.

It was only designed to be recognisable and meaningful to them. They loved it and - as I wasn't allowed to mention them in any other way (I wasn't allowed to say the name of the forum or anything, and even a vague mention as to its subject matter got edited out) - appreciated the gesture enormously.

So, in a nutshell, I disagree.

Excellent.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:How are blind people impacted by the appearance of those around them? It baffles me how you choose Countdown to rant about dress code. Kindly that bullshit elsewhere.
Oh I dunno we talk about all sorts of rubbish on here. I think she does have a point, but since it's so much down to personal opinion, it's hard to make a comment. Plus, you can't just wear what you want. I for instance took a checked shirt, but it strobed like man so I wasn't allowed to wear it. I think this might be even more a problem for the women, as men tend to wear a lot of dark, plainish clothes anyway. I'd have thought too much jewellery would be a problem as well, because of the studio lights. Oh and Countdown is the only time I've ever worn make-up.

Edit: really mature signature you have there, too.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Jon Corby wrote:
Roxanne wrote:a polo shirt with silly pictures on it worn by someone over the age of four
If that's aimed at me, I'd like to point out that my shirt was custom-made as a hat-tip to a very large group of people on another internet forum who sponsored me to the tune of a couple of grand the first time I was on, as part of a fundraiser for the children's hospital who performed successful open-heart surgery on my 9 month old daughter, who would otherwise probably now be dead.

It was only designed to be recognisable and meaningful to them. They loved it and - as I wasn't allowed to mention them in any other way (I wasn't allowed to say the name of the forum or anything, and even a vague mention as to its subject matter got edited out) - appreciated the gesture enormously.

So, in a nutshell, you can take your <censored> and <censored>, you <censored>.
Not usually in total approval of the otherwise wonderful JC's turn of phrase, but this time it goes double for me. And how did you know the cat pissed on my shirt?
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see lots of photos of Roxanne showing us exactly how she looks stylish.
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Jon Corby wrote:
my shirt
............ I'm still waiting for mine! :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Naomi Laddiman wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
my shirt
Oh crap yeah! I completely forgot about that. I told you I was useless with stuff like that. I was about to say "I'll send it tomorrow" but I know I won't, so I'll go for "I'll do it soon" instead :)
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Jon Corby wrote:
Naomi Laddiman wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
my shirt
Oh crap yeah! I completely forgot about that. I told you I was useless with stuff like that. I was about to say "I'll send it tomorrow" but I know I won't, so I'll go for "I'll do it soon" instead :)
I'll just keep reminding you on a regular basis! :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see lots of photos of Roxanne showing us exactly how she looks stylish.
So would I Image Image Image
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I started in an awful shirt (see the avatar), and gradually toned it down. I blame this mainly for my eventual defeat.

Well done on rattling a few cages by the way, I'm impressed by the reactions :o
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I'm not going to dignify Jon's post by repeating his final sentence. If (and only if) his assumption is correct, what he says before it is fair comment. But that's so way over the top it's unbelievable. She's 18, for God's sake, making a point (which personally I couldn't give a toss about) with a bit of style. Despicable.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
So would I Image Image Image
Haha awesome.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

David Williams wrote:I'm not going to dignify Jon's post by repeating his final sentence. If (and only if) his assumption is correct, what he says before it is fair comment. But that's so way over the top it's unbelievable. She's 18, for God's sake, making a point (which personally I couldn't give a toss about) with a bit of style. Despicable.
Tend to agree, it's not really that much off-topic compared to other stuff we talk about on here.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

David Williams wrote:I'm not going to dignify Jon's post by repeating his final sentence. If (and only if) his assumption is correct, what he says before it is fair comment. But that's so way over the top it's unbelievable. She's 18, for God's sake, making a point (which personally I couldn't give a toss about) with a bit of style. Despicable.
1619 posts and still you've failed to grasp Jon Corby's sense of humour, such as it is. Question is, will Roxanne brush it off as Corby being Corby or will she rev up and rev off?
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

David Williams wrote:I'm not going to dignify Jon's post by repeating his final sentence. If (and only if) his assumption is correct, what he says before it is fair comment. But that's so way over the top it's unbelievable. She's 18, for God's sake.
Yeah, come on guys. She's been pretty insulting, but that's no excuse for sexual harassment. Seriously. Apart from anything else, I'm offended by JC's comments and animated wotsits, and they're not even directed at me. They're making me feel pretty bloody uncomfortable. Is this a public forum or a rugby locker room for teenage boys?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Clare Sudbery wrote:
David Williams wrote:I'm not going to dignify Jon's post by repeating his final sentence. If (and only if) his assumption is correct, what he says before it is fair comment. But that's so way over the top it's unbelievable. She's 18, for God's sake.
Yeah, come on guys. She's been pretty insulting, but that's no excuse for sexual harassment. Seriously. Apart from anything else, I'm offended by JC's comments and animated wotsits, and they're not even directed at me. They're making me feel pretty bloody uncomfortable. Is this a public forum or a rugby locker room for teenage boys?
Wow, some people take people's posts far too seriously. It might be degrading but I, for one, found the emoticons hilarious.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Hahahaha. This thread (somehow) keeps getting better and better.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Yeah, come on guys. She's been pretty insulting, but that's no excuse for sexual harassment.
I think it's at least worth talking about, even if I personally don't agree with her. I think Gevin's "all piling in" comment from a couple of weeks ago applies here. I reckon if Charlie, Jono or Kirk had posted this, it wouldn't have had the same reaction. Let's not forget that this is a forum for talking about Countdown, which is what she was doing.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Tend to agree, it's not really that much off-topic compared to other stuff we talk about on here.
I think whether it was on- or off-topic was the furthest thing from Jon's mind.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Ben Wilson wrote:still you've failed to grasp Jon Corby's sense of humour, such as it is.
It doesn't matter. When he feigns outrage just to get a rise out of gullible fools like me, then fair enough. Fair game. But when he gets this offensive it doesn't matter whether he actually means it or not. It's still offensive. And way out of line as behaviour towards an 18-yr-old who probably won't get the joke and shouldn't have to be subjected to behaviour like this whether in jest or not.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Sigh, why does this bollocks always happen on web forums, sigh.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Martin Gardner wrote:Sigh, why does this bollocks always happen on web forums, sigh.
Internet. Serious Business.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

What annoys me most about the shirts people wear on Countdown is when I can't make out the picture and/or the slogan.
This is possibly relevant to Roxanne's post because - unlike her - I work on the assumption that people will have given some thought to what they wear. And I would like to see the message.
So, JC, may we please have a shot of your famous shirt?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Roxanne wrote:Honestly, some of the outfits I see on Countdown contestants make me cringe. A cat-sick yellow shirt with a "jazzy" tie, a polo shirt with silly pictures on it worn by someone over the age of four, and what I can only presume was a man's shirt on what I could just about recognise as a woman. There are plenty of examples of people getting it right as well; the Scottish woman on last week was dressed-up without being over the top, and she had hair that was short but still feminine.

For men, it's quite simple; for younger men just a casual or plain short sleeved shirt with no tie is fine (no flames please, Paul Zenon can only get away with tacky clothes because they go with his act). Older men can wear any long sleeved shirt with a tie that goes with it; if you're no good at colours then go to M&S and get a shirt and tie set.

Women, make an effort! wear something with a bit of embellishment or a low neckline (a good bra goes a long way. In some cases, all the way from your lap back to your chest where they belong), and put on some make up and jewellery. It's better to be overdone than not bother at all, because at least it shows that you've made an effort.

I know there are bound to be people on here of the "looks don't matter, it's what's on the inside that counts" mindset, but they really don't understand the psychological impact that looks have on yourself and the people around you. Looking good makes you feel so much more confident in yourself, and makes people judge you more positively. The first thing people notice about you is the way that you look, and if their initial impression is positive, they then notice your positive traits over your negative traits (see the Halo Effect). Basically, looks do matter, they make what's on the inside count.
I quite agree.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:I reckon if Charlie, Jono or Kirk had posted this, it wouldn't have had the same reaction.
Maybe that's because we would never have posted something like this.

Incidentally I thought the original post was kinda funny, I was totally expecting more whining about Rachel's hemline and in comparison it seemed quite good.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Martin Gardner wrote:Sigh, why does this bollocks always happen on web forums, sigh.
It wouldn't have been like this under the Nazis.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Well, I was under the assumption that by "dress code" you meant "what are you supposed to wear on Countdown since some shirts don't work on camera", but then I realised that applies to green-screen stuff. I do know that you're supposed to change your shirt every "show" so that you wear a different shirt each "day", but is there a proper dress code that's justifiable for Countdown?

Not trying to wrench it back to the topic, but I'm genuinely curious now!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Haha, hilarious. The entire point of her post was to be offensive. I would go as far as to say she did it purposely to get a reaction, otherwise I can't see why she would target it so specifically at me & other members of the forum.

And Clare, you're offended by little pixellated (virtually featureless) men masturbating? They're making feel you uncomfortable? Seriously? You need help. And Martin, you think that if Charlie ripped on me similarly, I wouldn't respond like that? It would probably be ten times as vicious!

Also, why pick on only me? Tony said it went double for him, so he has been twice as offensive. I'm actually a little disgusted by his behaviour, I think he overstepped the mark personally.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Hannah O wrote:Well, I was under the assumption that by "dress code" you meant "what are you supposed to wear on Countdown since some shirts don't work on camera", but then I realised that applies to green-screen stuff. I do know that you're supposed to change your shirt every "show" so that you wear a different shirt each "day", but is there a proper dress code that's justifiable for Countdown?

It's always recommended that you don't wear black or stuff with a close pattern, but in my experience, most shows don't seem to give a monkey's as long as you aren't advertising anything or looking like an idiot. 15-1 was the exception in my case, where they made me put on a very dull shirt from the costume department.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

I see! Those are some reasonable recommendations, I was wondering how stringent they were. Why did they make you put on a dull shirt?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I've edited it, just for you David.

Although it is still there in Tony's quote.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Richard used to wear all sorts of loud ties and jackets on Countdown, and Giles wore some interesting :shock: jumpers in DC. It's all part of their character and charm. Not everything was to my taste, but I always like when someone suits what they wear*, and dares to be a bit different and show and be proud of who they are. Contestants prob feel self aware enough as it is, without wearing something that just isn't them.

*I'm thinking of Jo Brand in DMs, black trousers and t-shirts - that sooooo suits her, whereas she'd just look odd in a Hyacinth Bucket style flowery dress, for example.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

For Roxanne to give an opinion is fine. To give it in a "I'm right, anyone who disagrees is wrong" way is arrogant. But to give an instruction to us all is asking for trouble on this forum. Maybe with only 7 posts she hasn't noticed, but there are people on here who don't like being told what to do.

In the House of Commons, they have a convention that a maiden speech is non-controversial and will be received kindly by the other members, however badly it may be delivered. If the new member tries to stir up trouble, they will get it back in spades. It's a good convention to use when joining a new forum.

[Edited for spelling]
Last edited by David Roe on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Hannah O wrote:Well, I was under the assumption that by "dress code" you meant "what are you supposed to wear on Countdown since some shirts don't work on camera", but then I realised that applies to green-screen stuff. I do know that you're supposed to change your shirt every "show" so that you wear a different shirt each "day", but is there a proper dress code that's justifiable for Countdown?

My rather unhelpful answer is that since I was a reserve for Countdown rather than someone who passed the audition, I never got a copy of the guidelines. So, someone else will have to answer this. I could say something like "you use common sense" but that's also not very helpful. I think I'll shut up now.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:I reckon if Charlie, Jono or Kirk had posted this, it wouldn't have had the same reaction.

Incidentally I thought the original post was kinda funny, I was totally expecting more whining about Rachel's hemline and in comparison it seemed quite good.
Higher hemline, lower cut tops. I'd be a happy man.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

Higher hemline, lower cut tops. I'd be a happy man.
As a woman, I find that offensive.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote: Higher hemline, lower cut tops. I'd be a happy man.
Man, talk about sexual harassment.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Martin Gardner wrote:Higher hemline, lower cut tops. I'd be a happy man.
And Paul Zenon can show more lower leg in future. :P He could maybe borrow some of Paul King's* trousers for his next appearance. A little treat for the Victorian ladies amongst us. :mrgreen:

*80s popstar who wore trousers a few inches too high above the ankle
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

To be honest I hardly notice what the contestants are wearing, but I do notice what Rachel is wearing as she always looks so nice and fresh, but that's probably because she's so young and beautiful. I would also notice if Jeff wore something silly like a blue
t-shirt to match the set, but he always looks so neat and tidy with his formal jacket and tie. Richard's loud jackets and ties actually matched his personality so I wouldn't criticise his outfits either.

Actually, it's interesting to read different comments on the dress code, so I've quite enjoyed this thread and, oh yes, Jon, I loved your animated 'wotsits'. I've never seen anything like that before and it didn't offend me (a 69 year old grannie) at all!
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Haha, this thread is taking an interesting turn! I tend to notice Rachel's outfits too, usually because we get a shot of her standing there in it and I not only notice how nice her wardrobe is, but I also feel envious of her figure, as she is rather thin... :P
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:Actually, it's interesting to read different comments on the dress code, so I've quite enjoyed this thread and, oh yes, Jon, I loved your animated 'wotsits'. I've never seen anything like that before and it didn't offend me (a 69 year old grannie) at all!
Yes, it's an interesting topic, but presented insensitively to those on the forum it relates to.

Re Jon's smilie - I didn't even notice it was rude until attention was drawn to it. I thought it was someone sitting on the toilet, and I couldn't figure out what they were doing. :?: :roll: :lol:
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Well, Tony, still happy with your part in this saga?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:Well, Tony, still happy with your part in this saga?
When did you become such a sanctimonious jerkoff? You used to be cool, or at least intelligent.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Looks like I picked the wrong night to watch Benjamin Button.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
David Williams wrote:Well, Tony, still happy with your part in this saga?
When did you become such a sanctimonious jerkoff? You used to be cool, or at least intelligent.
Nah, in fairness he did have a point. I hadn't realised that what I had written might be offensive to some, until he pointed it out.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gary Male wrote:Looks like I picked the wrong night to watch Benjamin Button.
LMAO. THIS IS GENIUS.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I took the liberty of editing Tony's post. Clearly this thread has got somewhat out of hand so I'll be keeping an eye on it in case I need to chin a few people with the hand of mod but I've never understood the human compulsion to become offended on someone else's behalf. It's like those thousands of people who complained about the Jonathan Ross/Russell Brand/Satanic Slut thing because they were told to by the press, and despite the fact they hadn't actually listened to any of the broadcast.

David Roe speaketh the truth. It's too late for this type of stuff I nearly had to apologise to Kai for, and let's remember this is after all a public forum.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

To clear up my part, I genuinely have nothing against Roxanne. I took her post as being deliberately-inflammatory-with-tongue-slightly-in-cheek, targeting as it did such an outspoken gobshite as myself. My post was designed to make it look as if I'd been ultra-offended, while making her look/feel bad because of all the factual stuff about the shirt (which is all true). I thought it was funny, but then it kinda got out of hand.

As for the rest of you who waded in.... I disagree ;)
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

She's 18, for God's sake
... and therefore there is nothing paedophilic about it... I don't quite follow your outrage!
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

That's what I like about this forum- even when drama happens, it's not nearly as bad as the trouble that happens in school!

I was joking! :P
Kate Richardson
Rookie

Post by Kate Richardson »

If it helps anyone my shirts are hand-tailored by James the personal tailor in manchester (I'm hoping for sponsorship). A little indulgence when you don't have kids
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Hannah O wrote:I see! Those are some reasonable recommendations, I was wondering how stringent they were. Why did they make you put on a dull shirt?
I don't think they liked the original shirt I took along because it didn't contrast with those people next to me actually, so now I think about it, it wasn't a colour issue per se.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:*80s popstar who wore trousers a few inches too high above the ankle
Surely Alexei Sayle was much more stylish and fanciable as an 80s pop star?
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Martin Gardner wrote:Higher hemline, lower cut tops. I'd be a happy man.
How high would the hemline have to be to come across on camera? :shock:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Read this, you bunch of easily-offended arse-munchers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/th ... 07060.html
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Jon Corby wrote:Haha, hilarious. The entire point of her post was to be offensive. I would go as far as to say she did it purposely to get a reaction
Like I said, her original post was insulting and unnecessary. Nobody's arguing about that.
Jon Corby wrote:And Clare, you're offended by little pixellated (virtually featureless) men masturbating? They're making feel you uncomfortable? Seriously?
Seriously. As far as I'm concerned, it's the online equivalent of you lowering your hand to your groin, bending over double and making a wanking gesture at someone, if we were having this conversation in a pub. Lewd, horrible, offensive.

Your response was out of proportion to her offense.
Jon Corby wrote:Nah, in fairness he did have a point. I hadn't realised that what I had written might be offensive to some, until he pointed it out.
And clearly you agree.
Ben Wilson wrote:I've never understood the human compulsion to become offended on someone else's behalf.
It's a kind of "there but for the grace of God" thing. If he behaves like this towards her, how might he behave to me? It's also about sticking up for someone who's getting a raw deal. It's the same impulse that would make me step in if I saw a man intimidating a woman at a bus stop, or a kid being bullied on the street. The alternative is that we only ever look out for ourselves, and damn everyone else.

I think it's horribly easy for men to forget how easily they can be scary and intimidating, particularly on the internet with the perceived threat of sexual predators.

Still, probably best if I bow out gracefully at this point.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

My problem with Jon's humour is that he seems to simply exaggerate what he actually thinks, and waits for a reaction. If he get's one, so what. The butt of his humour was probably lost any way.

What's funnier is if you can say something perfectly reasonable, and get people to over-react, expose a few prejudices and make themselves look like idiots. I must try that sometime.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Seriously. As far as I'm concerned, it's the online equivalent of you lowering your hand to your groin, bending over double and making a wanking gesture at someone, if we were having this conversation in a pub. Lewd, horrible, offensive.
It's a fucking emoticon you cabbage. It's the equivalent of going "phwoar" or somesuch. If I posted a tiny pixellated man disembowelling another, is that the equivalent of me getting up and barbarically murdering somebody, if we were having a conversation in a pub?
Clare Sudbery wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Nah, in fairness he did have a point. I hadn't realised that what I had written might be offensive to some, until he pointed it out.
And clearly you agree.
Oh sweet Jesus, could you be less perceptive?
Clare Sudbery wrote:I think it's horribly easy for men to forget how easily they can be scary and intimidating, particularly on the internet with the perceived threat of sexual predators.
You left out "all men are potential rapists".

Fucking hell, what a load of tripe.