What's the minimum time you have to be resident in the British Isles in order to qualify for Countdown?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

What's the minimum time you have to be resident in the British Isles in order to qualify for Countdown?

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Yes, anyone who monitors C4 applications, I've been the one who's been waspishly asking this for years. I wouldn't need to ask if we had our own but Countdown is too smart for our continent.

Mainly I want to see if I'd really have to give up my job over it, or just take extra scrutiny from my bosses. (I work on a "hybrid" remote/in-person model at the moment)
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Re: What's the minimum time you have to be resident in the British Isles in order to qualify for Countdown?

Post by Mark Deeks »

Johnny. Mark. Hi. Whatever the answer is, please please please please please don't give up your job for Countdown.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Re: What's the minimum time you have to be resident in the British Isles in order to qualify for Countdown?

Post by Graeme Cole »

I was going to say the exact same thing. Being a contestant on a TV show, fun though it is, is not worth giving up your job for.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Depends what your job is. If you're borderline quitting anyway there only needs to be a small extra reason.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Though it does sound extreme.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Exactly. What I'm asking is, does it really have to come to that or not? If I know the minimum buffer time, I'd be able to determine.

If quitting were what I'd need to do then forget it. I'd be a pretty trash human being if I did that. I'd wait until either they relaxed the restriction, or until retirement. And if Countdown is axed by then I could just... make my own sequel on HolographicFutureYouTube
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Well I think, aside from the residency requirement, the whole thing can be an extended process. Some people wait upwards of 6 months for auditions after applying, and filming can be weeks or months after that. I think Ronan was well over a year between applying and filming. You could be appear at the beginning of the series, and if you did qualify for the finals, be needed 6 months later for another filming block. You could prepare for all that then run into Zohaib or similar on game 1! It really is unpredictable.
Last edited by Fiona T on Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Anyway - from eligibility requirements

"You must be legally resident in the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland and have a current address within the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland."

Legal residency doesn't sound straightforward

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -in-the-uk

I'm guessing it's a no go unless you do want to come live and work in the UK
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Yeah that legal residency document is mainly what I'm looking for more information on. But thanks Fiona for providing a link, it's a step in the right direction. "Live and work in the UK" - for how long though.

These seem like incredibly extreme and immoral steps to be forced to go through just to appear on a tv show (which is why no, I'm not going to do them if they are accurate). Planning to retire at 60 so failing all else I'll be targeting Series 150. Look out, neural net-trained cyborgs.

Is there any advice from anyone who has worked on the show or on the C4 team for someone in my position?
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:59 pm Yeah that legal residency document is mainly what I'm looking for more information on. But thanks Fiona for providing a link, it's a step in the right direction. "Live and work in the UK" - for how long though.

These seem like incredibly extreme and immoral steps to be forced to go through just to appear on a tv show (which is why no, I'm not going to do them if they are accurate). Planning to retire at 60 so failing all else I'll be targeting Series 150. Look out, neural net-trained cyborgs.

Is there any advice from anyone who has worked on the show or on the C4 team for someone in my position?
There has been Canadian contestants in the past though who are just visiting the UK- https://wiki.apterous.org/Ryan_Vickers

but that was a while back now
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

My first thought when I was told from British folk is that you gotta live in the UK for 5 years to claim some residency, but ofc I may be wrong.

I will say though, Johnny, I have definitely been longing for a spot in the show as much as you are now. I do hope the time comes for us both.
One of da 'Muricans
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Am I still a sociopath and a trash person if I do this after retiring? Assuming the show holds up until then. Note that even if I lost early I wouldn’t mind. I’d keep living in and enjoying the UK for a while. I like your generally laid-back culture.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Honestly I would love just to claim residency one time and apply for the show before I turn 50 at least. And honestly if shows like The Price is Right and Jeopardy have held up this long, I feel like Countdown has a very good chance of staying alive too.
One of da 'Muricans
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:56 pm Am I still a sociopath and a trash person if I do this after retiring? Assuming the show holds up until then. Note that even if I lost early I wouldn’t mind. I’d keep living in and enjoying the UK for a while. I like your generally laid-back culture.
Why don't you try to live here for a bit anyway? Depending on your job, you could try an intercompany transfer, or apply for another role under a skilled worker visa. You could also do an undergraduate degree (very expensive international fees) or a PhD (funded, but of course difficult entry requirements). Residency is residency; once you are resident here you can apply, there will be no 5 year rule or suchlike. I am not sure how strictly this is even checked: it's not like Countdown offers any significant monetary prize or there will be tax complications. Once you had confirmation of a date to move you could even start the application process then.
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

Countdown have made exceptions for people who are visiting before such as the one I linked- so if you come and visit, you might get a chance to appear on the show.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Conor wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:22 am Why don't you try to live here for a bit anyway? Depending on your job, you could try an intercompany transfer, or apply for another role under a skilled worker visa. You could also do an undergraduate degree (very expensive international fees) or a PhD (funded, but of course difficult entry requirements). Residency is residency; once you are resident here you can apply, there will be no 5 year rule or suchlike. I am not sure how strictly this is even checked: it's not like Countdown offers any significant monetary prize or there will be tax complications. Once you had confirmation of a date to move you could even start the application process then.
What counts as residency? Because I know that you can't crash at a mate's house and apply whilst there because there's some laws that could be broken, and I don't think they'd cut you slack for staying your whole time at a hotel.
One of da 'Muricans
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Crazy idea, but why not trying lobbying production companies to give Countdown a go? Might prove to be an easier route to fulfil your dream. Out of interest,do Jeopardy producers have the similar residence requirement?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:59 pm These seem like incredibly extreme and immoral steps to be forced to go through just to appear on a tv show
I can't tell if this is sarcasm? Either way, I think you need a reality check (sorry it's a harsh one!)

TV production is a business. Having overseas contestants is more risky and more expensive. For any show it makes absolute sense to stick to the territory you are producing for/in, especially when you require a lot of contestants per year, and you have a modest budget. Appearing on a show is a privilege, not a right.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

samir pilica wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:57 am Out of interest,do Jeopardy producers have the similar residence requirement?
They’ve definitely done international tourneys with Brits in before. US and Canada residents are definitely both allowed, and there is no citizenship check from any country. I might consider emailing them to check.

Paying to fly to Los Angeles is on you the first time, but if you go into a second filming block or get invited back for a tourney they cover the returnee travel expenses. At least this is how it was when I auditioned in 2019 (incidentally on the same day as Elliott’s Countdown début and the Big Bang Theory series finale).
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

JackHurst wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:41 am
Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:59 pm These seem like incredibly extreme and immoral steps to be forced to go through just to appear on a tv show
I can't tell if this is sarcasm? Either way, I think you need a reality check (sorry it's a harsh one!)

TV production is a business. Having overseas contestants is more risky and more expensive. For any show it makes absolute sense to stick to the territory you are producing for/in, especially when you require a lot of contestants per year, and you have a modest budget. Appearing on a show is a privilege, not a right.
Yes, I plan to do it only whenever I am able to relocate anyway, a plan similar to Conor’s suggestion. Most likely in the retirement years. Your country has a good bit more cool stuff to offer — I have a Canadian high school friend who has been thriving in Manchester and am impressed with her photos. Countdown may be my first motivation but it is not my only one.

Not sure why a modest budget is such an issue though if the contestant is agreeing to pay for everything on their own.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Honestly I can’t help feeling like I’m a bad person if I do a stint in the UK with this as even an ulterior motive 😭
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:38 pm Honestly I can’t help feeling like I’m a bad person if I do a stint in the UK with this as even an ulterior motive 😭
You do you mate - it's your life, nobody else's.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Martin Hurst wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:20 pm
Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:38 pm Honestly I can’t help feeling like I’m a bad person if I do a stint in the UK with this as even an ulterior motive 😭
You do you mate - it's your life, nobody else's.
It's helpful to hear that, thanks
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I suspect that the basic reasoning is that it's beyond a reasonable effort (or impossible) for production to do the same background checks on overseas persons that they can do on Brits.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:11 pm Exactly. What I'm asking is, does it really have to come to that or not? If I know the minimum buffer time, I'd be able to determine.

If quitting were what I'd need to do then forget it. I'd be a pretty trash human being if I did that.
Why would quitting your job to do something you're passionate about make you a trash human being? Life is short! You've got to make the most of it and try to do the things you love! (I'm not saying you should quit your job - I don't know how feasible it is, or whether the benefit is worth the cost for you, or even what you do. I'm just saying that doing so wouldn't be a trash thing to do.)

In my opinion, people who bite the bullet and choose to spend their life moving to different countries and doing varied, exciting and unusual things are life's winners. People who spend their whole life working a day job 9-5 are boring.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Dan Byrom wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:18 pm
Johnny Canuck wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:11 pm Exactly. What I'm asking is, does it really have to come to that or not? If I know the minimum buffer time, I'd be able to determine.

If quitting were what I'd need to do then forget it. I'd be a pretty trash human being if I did that.
Why would quitting your job to do something you're passionate about make you a trash human being? Life is short! You've got to make the most of it and try to do the things you love! (I'm not saying you should quit your job - I don't know how feasible it is, or whether the benefit is worth the cost for you, or even what you do. I'm just saying that doing so wouldn't be a trash thing to do.)

In my opinion, people who bite the bullet and choose to spend their life moving to different countries and doing varied, exciting and unusual things are life's winners. People who spend their whole life working a day job 9-5 are boring.
Dan, I recommend you read that last paragraph back and check your privilege. Puts me in mind of Loadsamoney.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

In my job I have become sadly familiar with immigration rules.

It is my understanding you will need a BRP and ILR to immigrate to the UK in that way. Obviously I don't know your personal circumstances so I would not be able to comment on the likelihood of success or failure of applications. However, from the options on the gov.uk website it would appear that you would have to think about a work visa and for that you would need a concrete job offer. For (understandable) political reasons, people can't just come to the UK "just coz".

Basically, as Mark outlined, it's not worth it for a silly little Channel 4 programme.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Adam Gillard wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:41 pm
Dan Byrom wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:18 pm

Dan, I recommend you read that last paragraph back and check your privilege. Puts me in mind of Loadsamoney.
How dare Dan suggest that people doing nice things with their lives when they can is nice.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Ian Volante wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:09 pm I suspect that the basic reasoning is that it's beyond a reasonable effort (or impossible) for production to do the same background checks on overseas persons that they can do on Brits.
100% this. I love Johnny's Enthusiasm and hope he gets on one day. If he can't this would likely be a reason.
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

Post by Adam S Latchford »

Adam Gillard wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:41 pm

Weird comment

So many people who do the jet setting living in other countries etc do not have a lot of money. They don't choose to spend their money on things like housing, having children etc, focusing all they can get on travelling away and finding work overseas to achieve their goals.

My travel dwelling friends certainly have less money than I do and i'm hardly swimming in cash.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Adam S Latchford wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:50 pm

My travel dwelling friends certainly have less money than I do and i'm hardly swimming in cash.
Only because you haven't actually *tried*. You could get 1.5 million Uzbek 1 tiyin coins for a mere pound at the latest exchange rate, and I dare say that's enough to swim in.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:57 pm

Only because you haven't actually *tried*. You could get 1.5 million Uzbek 1 tiyin coins for a mere pound at the latest exchange rate, and I dare say that's enough to swim in.
Reminds me of this YouTube video I saw where they did a video analysis of the opening sequence to the TV show duck tales. It features the main characters diving into (and swimming in) a pool full of coins. The video concluded that the impact from the dive would be fatal.

Edit: here it is
https://youtu.be/nqZ_Cb2slBw?feature=shared
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

Elliott Mellor wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:57 pm

Fair point

We have our entertainment sorted for lunch break at rugby then
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I understand Adam G's point, assuming that it is something like: the ability to travel for leisure is a luxury and that many who "spend their whole life working a day job" do so out of financial necessity so it's unfair to criticise them as "boring" for that.

But I think it's a really quite uncharitable interpretation of Dan's comments to assume he meant that. Given the context of this thread is discussing someone clearly in a position to at least consider making such a decision, it's fairly clear to me that Dan was defending the choice of travel/leisure over humdrum financial stability specifically for those who are in a position to consider either option and not in general.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Ahmed M

Post by Ahmed M »

Last edited by Ahmed M on Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

I think Adam G's comment was fair. But I appreciate people understanding where I was coming from.

My comment was directed more towards the stereotype of people who leave university, get a comfortable job and blindly follow a standard career path without stepping back and thinking about the potential for incredible and exciting things that they could do.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Regardless of the sentiment, "check your privilege" is one of those American imports that's basically meaningless in British English. Ridiculous phrase.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Dan Byrom wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:50 am I think Adam G's comment was fair. But I appreciate people understanding where I was coming from.

My comment was directed more towards the stereotype of people who leave university, get a comfortable job and blindly follow a standard career path without stepping back and thinking about the potential for incredible and exciting things that they could do.
Thanks Dan, and apologies if I was a bit strong in my response. I was reading your comment as "why would anyone choose a 9-5 job when they can travel the world doing all sorts of interesting work to cover their travel costs instead?", which as others have pointed out (Callum did the best job of it I think) was an uncharitable interpretation.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:20 am Regardless of the sentiment, "check your privilege" is one of those American imports that's basically meaningless in British English. Ridiculous phrase.
The exact phrase is kind of annoying, but the meaning it carries is definitely not meaningless. Those of us with privilege should take the time to realise when it's doing the talking for us.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:22 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:20 am Regardless of the sentiment, "check your privilege" is one of those American imports that's basically meaningless in British English. Ridiculous phrase.
The exact phrase is kind of annoying, but the meaning it carries is definitely not meaningless. Those of us with privilege should take the time to realise when it's doing the talking for us.
I was going to respond to Gavin with something like this but wasn't sure how to put it/plain just couldn't be arsed.

Agreed. I think it's actually an incredibly valid idea, just the way it's been sloganised (not CD valid, sorry) is a bit shit
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yeah, I mean you both know I was talking about the phrase and not the sentiment though, as that was what I said. Just to clarify.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I hate it. Yes, the sentiment is valid, but in most cases it's not really necessary and paints the person, who in most cases is a decent, nice and generally considerate as entitled and unaware of social issues. We're all privileged in some way compared to others in the world. Occasionally it does need pointing out, but it should be done without resorting to lazy tropes. I've had things I've said pointed out to me in a way that hasn't made me feel like a bad person - that's far better than "check your privilege", which would immediately have made me defensive. (But yeah, working in a 9-5 job is a perfectly valid choice - not everyone has the will or means to go globetrotting!)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yeah, I think it comes across as quite combative, though in a given situation, the person's tone might not be. More difficult to tell in writing, but I doubt Adam was trying a start a fight with Dan. (And he apologised for his strong response anyway.)
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Yeah sorry, my comment was general, not aimed at Adam!
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:03 pm In my job I have become sadly familiar with immigration rules.

It is my understanding you will need a BRP and ILR to immigrate to the UK in that way. Obviously I don't know your personal circumstances so I would not be able to comment on the likelihood of success or failure of applications. However, from the options on the gov.uk website it would appear that you would have to think about a work visa and for that you would need a concrete job offer. For (understandable) political reasons, people can't just come to the UK "just coz".

Basically, as Mark outlined, it's not worth it for a silly little Channel 4 programme.
What about after retirement? Retired people move sometimes, but job offers are presumably not in the picture anymore.

When I was in school I was hamstrung by my school being in a certain city. Now that I have a job I'm hamstrung by my job being in a certain city. But what hamstrings a retired person?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:07 am When I was in school I was hamstrung by my school being in a certain city. Now that I have a job I'm hamstrung by my job being in a certain city. But what hamstrings a retired person?
Well immigration laws I guess! Retired people do move, but perhaps they have dual citizenship or other right to live in their chosen country.

https://www.expatica.com/uk/finance/ret ... k-1040740/

"Citizens from outside the UK can retire in the country only if they are:

Granted settled status as a permanent resident.
Eligible to apply for settled status after five years of residence on a valid UK visa."
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I'm kinda with Dan - if you really want to do it that much, then try do it when you're young and fit. If you haven't got commitments - partner/kids/elderly parents that need you, and you can get work in the UK (did I remember rightly you're in IT? Must be opportunities via some of the consultancies?) then bite the bullet and go for it! You've no idea what life will throw at you before you hit retirement age!
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

I'll be gutted for you, the day you finally get on the show and you're buzzing, you've moved your entire life here and this is finally your moment, and then you find out rob fosters decided to go on as you enter the green room
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Out of curiosity have you ever been to the UK? Maybe you should time a vacation in the UK with a visit to a co event as a first step.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Adam S Latchford wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:17 am I'll be gutted for you, the day you finally get on the show and you're buzzing, you've moved your entire life here and this is finally your moment, and then you find out rob fosters decided to go on as you enter the green room
No worries, if that happens, it's on to Pointless, or maybe doing the Tube Challenge
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

JackHurst wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:15 pm Out of curiosity have you ever been to the UK? Maybe you should time a vacation in the UK with a visit to a co event as a first step.
Yes, this is definitely on the table in the next 2-3 years. Andres and Jason have motivated me
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:24 pm
JackHurst wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:15 pm Out of curiosity have you ever been to the UK? Maybe you should time a vacation in the UK with a visit to a co event as a first step.
Yes, this is definitely on the table in the next 2-3 years. Andres and Jason have motivated me
If I ever see you in a co:event, I will pray the Countdown gods we play a game against each other and have it be the most un-British game of Countdown played live.
One of da 'Muricans
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:57 am If you haven't got commitments - partner/kids/elderly parents that need you, and you can get work in the UK (did I remember rightly you're in IT? Must be opportunities via some of the consultancies?) then bite the bullet and go for it! You've no idea what life will throw at you before you hit retirement age!
I am indeed in IT and it is simple enough for me to get profitable jobs through consultancies. Does changing jobs still count as the discouraged “giving up your job” situation? I bet there are even some overseas ones that make more money than what I make now FWIW - Montréal is not known to be a city of high wages.