December Decathlon: 9th December onwards in the App

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

December Decathlon: 9th December onwards in the App

Post by JackHurst »

🌟 The December Decathlon: A Countdown Tournament In the unofficial Android app🌟

Event Details:
  • Format: 10 async Countdown 9 rounders.
  • Opponents: A variety of players, and after the first round they should be a similar ability level.
  • Where: Challenges tab in the Android app.
  • Play Window: Games for each round are live for 48 hours. Play at any time in that window.
  • Game Structure: Rounds auto-picked for technical reasons.
  • System: Swiss pairs, virtual tables, 5 rounds → 10 games over 10 days.
  • Low commitment due to async format
Tournament Schedule:
  • Round 1: Midnight, 9th Dec
  • Round 2: Midday, 11th Dec
  • Each subsequent round starts 60 hours after the previous. The additional 12 hours is the Admin window for setting up the next round of fixtures.
Registration Details:
  • Capacity: 18 players maximum.
  • Subscribers: Sign up anytime via email (do "Menu">"Request a feature" in the app to find the email). Include a screenshot of your username and a recent game for user ID verification.
  • Non-Subscribers: Currently, sign-up is not open. If capacity isn't reached, registration may open later. For a better chance to participate, consider subscribing!
Note: In async gameplay, both players play from the same set of rounds but don't see each other's solutions until the entire game is completed and a high score is submitted. Standard round-by-round scoring applies, so the single player leaderboard scores seen in the app are not what counts. If both players solve the conundrum, only the fastest solution scores points. There are no tie-breakers for drawn games.

Participants List (18/18) FULL:
  • Ben Wilson
  • Callum Todd
  • Rob Foster
  • Phil Stanton
  • Josh Hurst
  • Fiona
  • Tom S
  • Adam L
  • Jonny D
  • Maus
  • Andres S
  • TCap
  • Ahmed
  • Chris Marshall
  • Zubair
  • Tim Hebbes
  • Dan Byrom
  • Rose Boyle

FAQ:
  • Can I play without an Android device? Sadly not!
🏆 Ready for a Countdown challenge? Join "The December Decathlon" now! 🏆
Last edited by JackHurst on Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Re: December Decathlon: 9th December onwards in the App

Post by JackHurst »

We're up to 11 participants now, and with under a week to go, I'll open entry to non subscribers. Just get in touch with me at wordgamegeeks@gmail dot com

Include a screenshot of a recent game with your username visible so I can find your user and add you to the games.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

18 Players Signed Up - Round 1 Games Scheduled!

All games for Round 1 are now scheduled (going live a whole hour earlier than billed at 11pm tonight). Here's the lineup:
  • Phil S vs. Zubair P
  • Zubair P vs. Dan B
  • Dan B vs. Phil S
  • Josh H vs. Andres S
  • Andres S vs. Rose B
  • Rose B vs. Josh H
  • Jonny D vs. Ahmed M
  • Ahmed M vs. Ben W
  • Ben W vs. Jonny D
  • Rob F vs. Chris M
  • Chris M vs. TCap
  • TCap vs. Rob F
  • Fiona T vs. Tim H
  • Tim H vs. Adam L
  • Adam L vs. Fiona T
  • Callum T vs. Tom S
  • Tom S vs. Maus
  • Maus vs. Callum T
Tournament Rubric:
  • App Version: Ensure you're using version 1.102. Stay updated!
  • Missed Games: Forgetting to play means 0 points for that game. Enable app push notifications to stay informed.
  • Abandoned Games: If you abandon a game (rage quit, battery issues, etc.), it's 0 points.
  • Unplayed Head-to-Head: If neither player engages, it's a 0-0 draw.
  • Technical Issues: While unlikely to affect results, I reserve the right to amend results for fairness.
  • Updates: Keep an eye on C4C for all updates.
  • Score Submission: Don't forget to submit your score after each game!
  • Multiple Devices: If you have multiple devices, please play all games from the same one.
Best of luck to all participants! Let the games begin!
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

Post by Adam S Latchford »

it's cool!

I'm wondering if there's a way of seeing some of the games that you arent involved in - the ben w ahmed one looks a cracker for example
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Agreed with Adam. And I'm curious on the game I "hosted", Josh v. Rose
One of da 'Muricans
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Adam S Latchford wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:53 pm it's cool!

I'm wondering if there's a way of seeing some of the games that you arent involved in - the ben w ahmed one looks a cracker for example
Glad you are enjoying it. It's going much smoother than I expected so far!

Agree the Ahmed and Ben game looks like the pick of the bunch so far. Will find links for it in a sec.

More updates to make the post game experience better coming soon!

Edit - Game links for Ben vs Ahmed are here:
http://wordgamegeeks.com/countdowngame?Q0eQAq1
http://wordgamegeeks.com/countdowngame?Q0e7Z0Z
Last edited by JackHurst on Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Will say also, there's a bit of me that feels like this event should be on the wiki. Anyone else?
One of da 'Muricans
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Andres Sanchez wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:39 pm Will say also, there's a bit of me that feels like this event should be on the wiki. Anyone else?
Haha not really. Doubt anyone cares apart from those involved. No objection if you wanna do it tho :)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

JackHurst wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:31 pm
Note: In async gameplay, both players play from the same set of rounds but don't see each other's solutions until the entire game is completed and a high score is submitted. Standard round-by-round scoring applies, so the single player leaderboard scores seen in the app are not what counts. If both players solve the conundrum, only the fastest solution scores points. There are no tie-breakers for drawn games.
Just wanted to highlight this one again. This means the classic post game leaderboard you see is not to be trusted for head to head games. I am working on an update to remove this screen when it's a head to head game.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

JackHurst wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:54 pm
Just wanted to highlight this one again. This means the classic post game leaderboard you see is not to be trusted for head to head games. I am working on an update to remove this screen when it's a head to head game.
Please only do this if there's at least some way to see our opponent's game. And who complained that they thought they won when they actually lost?
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

Thomas Cappleman wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:02 pm
JackHurst wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:54 pm
Please only do this if there's at least some way to see our opponent's game. And who complained that they thought they won when they actually lost?
Hard agree with tcap. Can work out the scores better + curious to see what opponent misses/hits/how quickly ahmed gets the con against me
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Thomas Cappleman wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:02 pm Please only do this if there's at least some way to see our opponent's game.
Agree 100% First iteration you will get a link to both players games. Second iteration you will get shown the merged rounds just like a multiplayer game on apterous or on the wiki.

Still a lot of work to do before it would make 100% sense to a new player which is what the end goal is. Getting you lot to test small chunks of incomplete work if giving me useful early feedback though 😊
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Key detail that I missed in the OP (d'oh)

Top two after 10 games will qualify for the final! I'll decide details of the final closer to the end.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Honestly pretty proud of how I've done, especially the game I had with Maus where I got the conundrum 0.3 seconds before him

(preventing spoilers here in case ppl wanna see)
One of da 'Muricans
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Round 4 Fixtures are up, and will be available to play from 8am this morning until midday tomorrow. Good stuff from all involved so far.

I've hand picked all of the conundrums for these games, so if you dislike them come find me.
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

the way to see scores in game now is excellent
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Still a couple of R5 games to finish, but a few things look certain already. It will be Rob and Ahmed in the final, with TCap having put together a strong display to claim 3rd place.

The final will be a best of 3 games, most likely played over this coming weekend:

Ahmed's 9 Rounder: AAAAAALNC
Rob's 9 Rounder RRRRRRLNC
Classic 9 Rounder LLLNLLLNC

the As will be 6 rounds picked by Ahmed (30 seconds each, choice of L, N, C all normal variant). Likewise the Rs will be Rob's pick. This notation would have sucked if Callum got to the final...

I have a load of retrospective game links to post, which will probably get
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

It's been good fun - thanks Jack!
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Fiona T wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:18 pm It's been good fun - thanks Jack!
+1
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Yeah thanks Jack, Great idea and it works amazingly well on the app. Some super play from everyone, should be a great final.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Agreed, and again I'm thoroughly content with how I performed. We should definitely do this again.
One of da 'Muricans
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Congrats to Rob Foster for taking the title, beating Ahmed 2-1 in the final. The Final went all the way to the wire.

Game links here:

https://wordgamegeeks.com/countdownheadtohead?QZo74
https://wordgamegeeks.com/countdownheadtohead?QZnGw
https://wordgamegeeks.com/countdownheadtohead?QZn9G

Thanks to everybody who participated in this event, it's been a really good way of working out how to make a multiplayer feature work in the app. Head to Heads will go on a small holiday while I work on some improvements.

Feedback is always welcome :)