A surge of formidable Irish Countdowners

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

A surge of formidable Irish Countdowners

Post by Marc Meakin »

If Colin Murray has brought nothing else to Countdown he has (either by influence or reputation) upped the ante on the amount of good, Irish contestants on Countdown
Btw I do speak from experience 😊
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Re: A surge of formidable Irish Countdowners

Post by JackHurst »

The S63-S64 period was pretty damn strong. Ed McCullagh and Eoin Monoghan two exquisite players. Eoin missing out on 30BC was a huge shame, and Eddy also was pretty hard done by losing in his RD1 draw losing to Rawlo on a tiebreak.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Not forgetting the highest scoring Irish octochamp of all time, Ed Byrne. Furthermore, one of my prelim opponents, David Clerkin, was an Irishman who'd faced Ed McCullagh on his original stint. Was one of the best prelim opponents I'd faced, and would be very worthy of a third stint.
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

There is probably still a backlog from Covid, when there were no Irish contestants.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Series 71 runner up Antionette Ryan and Series 70 champion Mark Murray
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Tom S wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:43 pm Not forgetting the highest scoring Irish octochamp of all time, Ed Byrne. Furthermore, one of my prelim opponents, David Clerkin, was an Irishman who'd faced Ed McCullagh on his original stint. Was one of the best prelim opponents I'd faced, and would be very worthy of a third stint.
I would have to agree with you on that, I was there in person watching Edward McCullaghs run, I knew he would be series champion from the word go !
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

Purely self serving question here - myself and Eoin Jackson meeting in a semi-final. Have there been any all-Irish finals or is that potentially the latest stage all-Irish meeting?
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Noel Mc wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:44 pm Purely self serving question here - myself and Eoin Jackson meeting in a semi-final. Have there been any all-Irish finals or is that potentially the latest stage all-Irish meeting?
We did have the match of Peter Burke vs. Cillian 10 series after yours, but other than that there's nothing else that I can think of.
One of da 'Muricans
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Noel Mc wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:44 pm Purely self serving question here - myself and Eoin Jackson meeting in a semi-final. Have there been any all-Irish finals or is that potentially the latest stage all-Irish meeting?
Well S87 final was 75% Irish so might be the closest :)
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)