Coeliac disease

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Coeliac disease

Post by Marc Meakin »

Does anyone on here have it.
My 30 year old step daughter has been diagnosed with it but she thought it was IBS
I'm curious that gluten free food is quite expensive so I'm wondering what tadtes good.
Im also surprised that the hospital she is in doesn't make provisions for dietary needs they gave her Rice Krispies
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Phil H
Acolyte

Re: Coeliac disease

Post by Phil H »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:20 am Does anyone on here have it.
My 30 year old step daughter has been diagnosed with it but she thought it was IBS
I'm curious that gluten free food is quite expensive so I'm wondering what tadtes good.
Im also surprised that the hospital she is in doesn't make provisions for dietary needs they gave her Rice Krispies
I do - diagnosed back in 2006.

I guess it depends what she tends to eat now - although a surprising amount of foods turn out to contain gluten, there's equally quite a lot that's naturally gluten-free - rice, meat, fish, fruit & veg, many sauces, many types of crisps and chocolate, most dairy, and pretty much all drinks except beer/lager/ale :? .

I used to get bread and pasta on prescription - I think I just stopped renewing this rather than it not being an option any more - although I gather the prescription regime is a bit more generous in Scotland where I am (in general - not sure if it's specifically the case with gluten-free food). The bread was definitely inferior even to other gluten-free breads in supermarkets, but the pasta wasn't all that different to any other pasta.

Tesco in my area - which generally isn't the cheapest - has decent bread for about £2 a loaf and packets of pasta for less than £1 each.

Some people don't like coconut, but for those that do, Crimbles chocolate macaroons are a good bet for a treat-type thing that doesn't suffer taste-wise for the lack of gluten.
Last edited by Phil H on Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Thanks Phil.
Luckily Waitrose does a reasonable range and I get a discount so that softens the financial blow.
I often think your body tells you what it wants sometimes her favourite meal is still ham egg and chips.
Though KFC is no longer an option for her but I will buy her gluten free burger buns so she can still have maccy D
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:11 am Thanks Phil.
Luckily Waitrose does a reasonable range and I get a discount so that softens the financial blow.
I often think your body tells you what it wants sometimes her favourite meal is still ham egg and chips.
Though KFC is no longer an option for her but I will buy her gluten free burger buns so she can still have maccy D
Never knew you worked at Waitrose. Have you ever considered using a different place to do your shopping, or is the discount significant enough that it's actually quite affordable then?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's owned by John Lewis. I think Marc has mentioned he works there.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:59 pm It's owned by John Lewis. I think Marc has mentioned he works there.
Yes, when Ashford John Lewis closed during/after the pandemic, I redeployed to Waitrose Canterbury.

My 20% discount means that the more expensive free from items are affordable