Spoilers for Tuesday 15th August 2023 (Series 88, Heat 33)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Fiona T
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Tuesday 15th August 2023 (Series 88, Heat 33)

Post by Fiona T »

Matey taking the piss. Suggest the wiki write-up kept to the minimum - don't give him the attention he's clearly after. What a tosser.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 15th August 2023 (Series 88, Heat 33)

Post by Philip A »

I actually feel sorry for him. Not the first to score 0 (4th in fact, including 2 from 30-minute Countdown) so he’s not alone. The numbers didn’t fall nicely and he was up against a good player whose risks paid off in some of the letters rounds. Fine margins sometimes. I also recognised him from The Apprentice 2023! Not the first Apprentice star to have been on a gameshow either.

Worth remembering also, the audition feels different because it’s solo (and therefore raw score), it’s at your home and it’s over the phone rather than in a cluttered studio environment with 8 cameras and bright lights.

Surely long overdue to kill off the 15 round scores under 30 list on the Wiki.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Was he taking the piss? I wasn't paying close attention but I didn't pick up on it.

The last 0 went for 3 large on the last numbers from what I remember.

INCISOR as a beater in the last letters.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Philip A wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:57 pmSurely long overdue to kill off the 15 round scores under 30 list on the Wiki.
Noooooooo!!!!!
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:18 pm Was he taking the piss? I wasn't paying close attention but I didn't pick up on it.
Can’t say for certain. We’ll call this a one-off. :)
Last edited by Philip A on Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Series 78 Runner-up
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

It was a complete mockery of the game.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think you have to be suspicious of anyone whose passion is finance.
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

You really think he intended to score 0 all along?

I kind of thought he just lost whatever ability he had to perform under pressure and eventually gave up as a way of coping.

(Either way I doubt an extensive write-up on the apterous wiki was the thing he had his eye on?)
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Phil H wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:12 pm You really think he intended to score 0 all along?

I kind of thought he just lost whatever ability he had to perform under pressure and eventually gave up as a way of coping.

(Either way I doubt an extensive write-up on the apterous wiki was the thing he had his eye on?)
Yeah agreed - he's not gonna care about the wiki. Just very disrespectful to his opponent and everyone on the show. And when I think of the very good players I know who don't pass the audition you do wonder what on earth is going on. Still grumpy.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Fiona T wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:17 pm Matey taking the piss. Suggest the wiki write-up kept to the minimum - don't give him the attention he's clearly after. What a tosser.
I've seen a couple of people suggest this was a deliberately low score to seek attention, but what makes you so sure of that? Having watched the episode, all I can see is a contestant getting beaten in every round by a strong opponent, trying to make the best of it, then getting called a tosser on here.

Is there some additional information or context I'm missing here?
Joseph B

Post by Joseph B »

Don't mince your words Fiona incidentally Tosser is a good 6 letter word.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Graeme Cole wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:03 pm
Fiona T wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:17 pm Matey taking the piss. Suggest the wiki write-up kept to the minimum - don't give him the attention he's clearly after. What a tosser.
I've seen a couple of people suggest this was a deliberately low score to seek attention, but what makes you so sure of that? Having watched the episode, all I can see is a contestant getting beaten in every round by a strong opponent, trying to make the best of it, then getting called a tosser on here.

Yeah fair enough. Doubt he'll read the forum, but if he genuinely passed the audition without cheating and then played to the best of his ability on the show, then I apologise. If either of those aren't the case, then I stand by it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

These were my thoughts but because I wasn't paying that close attention to his behaviour I didn't follow it up.
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Fiona T wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:18 pm

Yeah fair enough. Doubt he'll read the forum, but if he genuinely passed the audition without cheating and then played to the best of his ability on the show, then I apologise. If either of those aren't the case, then I stand by it.
Well he'd have actually scored 56 playing on his own, 23 more than what Sarah from last year would have got.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Performance may have been genuine up to second TTT. That may have been the point he decided to go for the joint record, if indeed he did - perhaps more understandable "I'm gonna get thrashed - might as well go out with a bang".

MFNOIAERT

He declared FEAR. Could he genuinely not see miner or minor or train or format or ration or moaner or moanier or foamier?

SDGEUMRIP

He declared DRIES. Primes or primed or prides or dumpers or dumpier or umpires would all have beaten his score

50 100 75 4 7 3 → 644 he declared 663. Could he really not find 643 or even 646/647/650 ? 663 a much trickier solve than any of those!

Anyway - maybe I was harsh - felt really quite annoyed at the time. I quite liked him on apprentice fwiw!
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

ROMANITE in R10
RICINUS in R13

R3 alt.: ((5+2)*9+1)*8+3 = 515
R14 alt.: (100+50-7)*4+75-3 = 644
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

Graeme Cole wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:03 pm Is there some additional information or context I'm missing here?
His website (https://www.avitv.co.uk/) doesn't exactly scream "not an attention-seeking weapon"
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I launched Avi TV, centred around business, wealth and success.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Wonder what his motivation for going on the show was ? No doubt a successful, intelligent man in real life, bothered to fill in the form, auditioned, travelled to Salford and then...
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

samir pilica wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:14 am Wonder what his motivation for going on the show was ? No doubt a successful, intelligent man in real life, bothered to fill in the form, auditioned, travelled to Salford and then...
Got himself a free hotel...
Ahmed M

Post by Ahmed M »

Just caught up on the ep and all this seems very overblown tbh, wouldn't say he played particularly bad and his level only really dropped in the last third of the game where he might have started feeling disheartened. Looks like he made the best out of a bad situation and came across well to me honestly
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Ahmed M wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:13 pm Just caught up on the ep and all this seems very overblown tbh, wouldn't say he played particularly bad and his level only really dropped in the last third of the game where he might have started feeling disheartened. Looks like he made the best out of a bad situation and came across well to me honestly
Fully agree.
Series 78 Runner-up
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Ahmed M wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:13 pm Just caught up on the ep and all this seems very overblown tbh, wouldn't say he played particularly bad and his level only really dropped in the last third of the game where he might have started feeling disheartened. Looks like he made the best out of a bad situation and came across well to me honestly
Yeah agreed. It's not like he did the Nazi salute or something like that. Whether he purposely tried not to score, only Avi knows, but even if he did, I feel that it has been blown out of proportion given the nature of the show.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

When I recap the game at some point I need to be careful what I put
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Ronan M Higginson wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:50 am
samir pilica wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:14 am Wonder what his motivation for going on the show was ? No doubt a successful, intelligent man in real life, bothered to fill in the form, auditioned, travelled to Salford and then...
Got himself a free hotel...
There's other ways to get a free hotel in this country. #satire
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Just watched this episode today after a very busy work week. I at no time could detect Avi intentionally trying to score zero at all until closer to the end like what most people have pointed out already. I thought George going for six small plus him going for Three Large in the Numbers round was one problem (and literally suicidal).

I also honestly thought the fact that George and DC could add on to his declarations in the first two thirds of the show probably shattered his confidence and he never recovered. To add insult to injury, if I want to be extreme, I could say Colin's quote of "We've never had a contestant that was so happy to score zero" immediately after the second break was over probably made him think "I can't win anyways, so f*ck this, let's go out with a bang".

Him being on The Apprentice and showing off the Free Hotel stay (thanks very much :? ) is one thing, but I seriously do not think this is a situation you know like say the Manchester team on University Challenge decades ago where they buzzed in with Communist names in a deliberate attempt to derail the game and damage the reputation of not just the opponent, but also the gameshow as a whole.

All I can say is that this is a case where people's expectations here on this forum are high and then when people do not put in the effort they expect or should see on the show, the bad words come out. We have to remember, not everyone is an Apterous player, and while people may do well in the Audition, they may stumble on camera and that's where all of us will judge one's performance. Having a tag of "Scoring Zero on Countdown" is definitely not a way others will want to remember people, and I'm sure Avi's got enough heat already thanks to this episode. Let's just move on and just try to be more restrained in the future.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

I'm surprised nobody got 515 by what seems to me the most intuitive method. I saw it within the time.

((9 + 1) × (8 + 2) + 3) × 5
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Stewart Gordon wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:23 am I'm surprised nobody got 515 by what seems to me the most intuitive method. I saw it within the time.

((9 + 1) × (8 + 2) + 3) × 5
Me too! I was surprised Colin couldn't see 103 and Rachel doing it a different way.
For the second numbers it was good of Rachel to say later she'd done it but then not say how. I remembered her clue of looking for 875 though, and on revisiting, it was the first thing I tried.

25 * 50 - 75 * 5 - 5 - 9 = 861
(Not 100% sure I don't need brackets 😊)