Celebrity and Mental Health and the media

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Celebrity and Mental Health and the media

Post by Marc Meakin »

I can't think of a better way to frame it but I think that the way society and especially the media acts when a public figure has done something questionable but not illegal, allegedly, it flips the story into one of poor him or her ifthey are not well.
Firstly is the mental health issue borne out of the pressure of being 'caught' and the implications of this or the questionable behaviour being because of mental illness

Let me say that the only aspect of the Huw Edwards saga I found questionable is him being unfaithful to his wife, ditto Phillip Schofield.

He probably will never work in TV again and I'm sure there are more to come.
I want to go back to the Caroline Flack case when she was hounded by the press which led to her Suicide but the serious assault against her then boyfriend was conveniently forgotten about.

The other aspect of Huw Edwards and Phillip Schofield is the mental toll on being secretly gay whilst living a lie in a heterosexual relationship.

Apart from football stars which for the life of me I don't understand, being gay is no longer a societal taboo.

Like I said earlier, living a lie is one thing but I feel sorry for the spouses involved

Typically for me I've gone off track, I haven't even gone down the route of whether Hugh Edwards wife is complicit.
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Celebrity and Mental Health and the media

Post by Marc Meakin »

Delli Ali has been forced to tell about his mental health issues due to media pressure, ie tell your story or the press will tell there version of it
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

In this interview Jimmy Carr talks about the time everyone found out about his tax avoidance and how it affected him. I think because his persona is of an android unaffected by any emotions, people probably assume he wouldn't be affected by it.

But whenever someone is lambasted in the media, it's likely to have a big effect on them, apart from the odd exception like Boris Johnson or Donald Trump, who simply don't have the cognitive machinery required to be affected by such things in the same way as normal people.
Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:37 am
I want to go back to the Caroline Flack case when she was hounded by the press which led to her Suicide but the serious assault against her then boyfriend was conveniently forgotten about.
Well this was an interesting one. Because I don't think the media are suddenly going to stop attacking people accused of such things. Did it make a difference that she was a woman? Because it shouldn't. But I tend to think the media are very irresponsible anyway when it comes to crimes people haven't even been convicted of.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Mainstream media weren't the main reason. It was more this sort of thing wasn't it?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:45 pm Mainstream media weren't the main reason. It was more this sort of thing wasn't it?
The Sun lit the fuse.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

David Williams wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:45 pm Mainstream media weren't the main reason. It was more this sort of thing wasn't it?
I think the twittersphere and threads was more about speculation as to who it was etc rather than what lead to the mental health issue of Huw Edwards.
Im still unsure if the mental health issue is, due to the Sun or paying thousands of pounds for photos was a mental health issue