Puzzling

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Philip A
Kiloposter

Puzzling

Post by Philip A »

Thursdays 8pm, Channel 5. Lucy Worsley hosts.
Series 78 Runner-up
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Re: Puzzling

Post by Steve Hyde »

I applied for that, never heard back. Looks interesting
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Jack H and I also both applied. I got to second audition, he got on shortlist then asked to be standby. Looking forward to seeing how well I'd have done if I had got on
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I applied, got a call back, and failed to add 8+5 correctly in the phone audition. Unsurprisingly didn't get the 2nd audition - kinda gutted tho, was so annoyed with myself when I looked back at the q's and realised! Had done ok-ish on others. Sounds like a fun format!
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

First episode delayed by 15 minutes because of Channel 5 Live News special, Titanic Sub: Lost At Sea.
Series 78 Runner-up
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Really good questions and contestants, but as a show it needs more refinement. Too many camera cut aways. Don’t like the graphics personally. Demeanour of host is a bit odd. Feels more like a BBC 2 programme. For a show that’s not overly highbrow, it’s a bit classy.

Should be teams of two or three who actually know each other applying. Do away with splitting them up in the endgame and just put top 4 teams based on combined individual scores through to the semi-finals, and the Grand Final can have both teams competing in the endgame for ultimate puzzling team instead of individual puzzler.

Playable enough, but it’s not quite there.
Series 78 Runner-up
Steve Hyde
Acolyte

Post by Steve Hyde »

I quite enjoyed the questions but it was a very odd format. Lucy Worsley has Thunderbird puppet energy
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Yeah just watched it - bit odd, but will probably settle in after a few episodes.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Enjoyed the questions, hopefully Lucy settles in a bit more as presenter.

Amazingly unfortunate timing of the Titanic-themed intro to a round. Sure that triggered some panic somewhere when they realised.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Interestingly many of the phone audition questions bore little resemblance to the show questions - no sequences, no 'riddle' type q's
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

It's fun not as tough as Only Connect but like the 1% Club some of the questions are difficult to see without glasses.
Lucy is more palatable than VCM.
I like the concept of 3 strangers per team but team a and b sounds less clunky than saying the individuals names.
I mean imagine a team of Alexander, Balthezar and Nebuchanezzer 😁
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Kirk Bevins is on Episode 3, Thursday 6th July @ 8 pm.
Series 78 Runner-up
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Spoiler alert

You have been warned.
After the first set of questions I doubted Kirks 'team' would get to the final let alone Kirk win the episode
But win he did.
The maths questions and anagrams were meat and drink for him and yet he was genuinely shocked he won.

This is an excellent quiz show, with elements of 1% club and Only Connect style questions
Also like the chase, each team do not know each other but rather uniquely in the final round you compete against your team mates.

Worth watching, Lucy Worsley is sweet and although the maths rounds are not my cup of tea, the other rounds are good and the final round is a smnorgesboard of previous rounds

It looks like there are 13 episodes as the weekly winners do come back for a grand final (or it may be the highest scoring 6)
Its on Channel 5, Thursdays or on the My5 app
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

It’s the Grand Final tomorrow. Worth watching.
Series 78 Runner-up