Is there a conspiracy against Electric transport?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Is there a conspiracy against Electric transport?

Post by Marc Meakin »

Electric cars are going to be the only car you can purchase NEW in the UK from 2030 and yet the infrastructure isn't there yet to accommodate recharging there are huge queues at charging points.

Electric bikes are restricted to 15.5 mph when you can cycle faster than that unaided making them less attractive to ride without breaking the law.

Electric Scooters are banned from most towns and cities and yet again it's a green way of travelling but the media treat them with disdain like a dangerous dog.

With regulation and improvement of infrastructure these modes of transport could an should be more desirable.

Make all major service station have at least one car fast charge facility.

Make the maximum speed for e bikes 30mph and change legistration so they have to be taxed and insured ax a matter of course.

Also make all e scooters have indicators and lights as standard and improve bike lane and make them tax and insurable and restrict to 20mph.

I would like the incumbent Labour government to do something to make electric vehicles much more desirable and to treat petrol and diesel vehicles like smokers with disdain and slowly get rid of petrol stations slowly one pump at a time so by 2050 this country and hopefully the developed world will ditch fossil fuels in vehicles (apart from industrial ones)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Re: Is there a conspiracy against Electric transport?

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:31 am Electric bikes are restricted to 15.5 mph
This isn't true. You're allowed to go faster than 15.5 mph on an electric bike as long as the motor is not assisting you at that point. So they're designed to have the motor provide less and less power as your own output increases, to the point that it cuts out entirely once you are going fast enough.
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:31 am incumbent Labour government
Did I miss something?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

You can get bikes like normal motorbikes but electric and they can go over 15.5mph. So presumably you're talking about hybrid pedal/electric bikes?
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Yes, as that's what the 15.5mph limit applies to. Anything compliant with that limit can be ridden on the road without license/tax/insurance.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:20 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:31 am Electric bikes are restricted to 15.5 mph
This isn't true. You're allowed to go faster than 15.5 mph on an electric bike as long as the motor is not assisting you at that point. So they're designed to have the motor provide less and less power as your own output increases, to the point that it cuts out entirely once you are going fast enough.
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:31 am incumbent Labour government
I wasn't specific about the 15.5 mph that's when the motor cuts out
Did I miss something?
As sure as day follows night unless the upper echelons of the labour party are outed as paedos or friends of Schofield 😊
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:26 pm You can get bikes like normal motorbikes but electric and they can go over 15.5mph. So presumably you're talking about hybrid pedal/electric bikes?
I wasn't specific enough , I meant the motor cuts out with pedal assist at 15.5 mph that doesn't mean you can't go faster or that the motor is unable to it's restricted.

I would prefer a 25 or 30 mph option if I can tax and insure it with a compulsory helmet
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:45 pm Yes, as that's what the 15.5mph limit applies to. Anything compliant with that limit can be ridden on the road without license/tax/insurance.
Apart from E-scooters (unless they are hired)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Panorama tonight is worth a watch on Iplayer