Do you keep a personal diary?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Do you keep a personal diary?

Post by Marc Meakin »

I tried many times years ago but never got past January before giving up.
Now I'm approaching 60 I wish I had been mor tenacious as I want to write a memoir for my kids to read and my memory is fuzzy
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Re: Do you keep a personal diary?

Post by Thomas Carey »

Tried many times, never stuck until the start of this year. Been keeping about 1-6 paragraphs each day depending on the eventfulness of the day. I noticed that I got a lot more detailed as time went on, for instance my one for COLIN in January didn't even mention my opponents, whereas newer co event ones I'll talk about what happened in each game as well as things like who drove me to the pub after, how badly I played pool etc.
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I have done for about 30 years.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Nope, most things I do I suspect are pretty tedious to the average bod, although I enjoy them!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

Yes. I use Day One which is just a basic diary app but the cool thing is that having used it for 2+ years it tells me what I did 'On This Day' on previous years, which is really nice to look back on.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Dan Byrom wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:59 pm Yes. I use Day One which is just a basic diary app but the cool thing is that having used it for 2+ years it tells me what I did 'On This Day' on previous years, which is really nice to look back on.
Interesting. Not heard of this. I just use a paper diary. I just started at the beginning of the year once way back in the 90s and once I'd gone on a certain amount it became a thing and I couldn't just stop!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

What does a typical day look like?

Pretty sure if I kept one it would be so dull even I'd fall asleep reading it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

My diary days are very dull on the whole. More a what happened than a rollercoaster of emotional outpourings.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I think it's been found in studies and shit that keeping a diary is very helpful for organising your thoughts and stuff. So the comments above about thinking whatever you would write would be uninteresting sort of miss the point; the utility of a diary is in writing rather than reading it.

No, I don't.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Dan Byrom wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:59 pm Yes. I use Day One which is just a basic diary app but the cool thing is that having used it for 2+ years it tells me what I did 'On This Day' on previous years, which is really nice to look back on.
I just downloaded it.
Already put today's entry,
Lets see how long it lasts.
Should be easier than writing
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Callum Todd wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:04 pm I think it's been found in studies and shit that keeping a diary is very helpful for organising your thoughts and stuff. So the comments above about thinking whatever you would write would be uninteresting sort of miss the point; the utility of a diary is in writing rather than reading it.

No, I don't.
Ah, a similar process to (what I think) the benefits of prayer are (thread scope creep) :D
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I started doing an exercise where you write out all your fears and resentments, then you ask (God, the universe or whatever higher power even if you don't believe in that stuff) for all your fears to be released and then you meditate for about 20 minutes. I do this at least once a day. It's supposed to help with CPTSD. I think it's helping. You never go back and read anything though. The point is you're supposed to let everything go. I do still have most of the sheets because ideally I'd like to burn them. I've nowhere suitable to do so at home. I was hoping my job might have an incinerator but no luck.
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Use Microsoft Word as a ranting chamber about the day's events-have done since June 2019. It helps to be reflective, see what things have been like-would be boring to the average soul, but it's handy for me. The most entertaining thing is that Microsoft words tells me I've used the word 'fuck' in that particular document over 2,000 times (it does help to have a place to be angry)
The Vicar of Dudley*

*(Not ordained, nor do I live Dudley. Godspeed!)
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Use Microsoft Word as a ranting chamber about the day's events-have done since June 2019. It helps to be reflective, see what things have been like-would be boring to the average soul, but it's handy for me. The most entertaining thing is that Microsoft words tells me I've used the word 'fuck' in that particular document over 2,000 times (it does help to have a place to be angry)
The Vicar of Dudley*

*(Not ordained, nor do I live Dudley. Godspeed!)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

If I want to swear I just come to this shithole.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

No, I’m diary intolerant
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Someone had to do it.