Spoilers for Wednesday 2 November 2022 (Series 40, Heat 40)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday 2 November 2022 (Series 40, Heat 40)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Actually Series 86, Heat 98, but renamed for celebratory purposes.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 2 November 2022 (Series 40, Heat 40)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

"There's no N for ENTAILS."

Unless you're reading the subtitles during the selection :roll:
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Isn't it the 40th November in the year 40?

(Don't actually change it to that. It could be confusing for people looking for this thread later.)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:30 pm Isn't it the 40th November in the year 40?

(Don't actually change it to that. It could be confusing for people looking for this thread later.)
40 CE (Countdown Era).
Howie Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Howie Myers »

r2 alt: DELIMITS
r7 alt: CONKIEST
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Not sure Conkiest would be valid.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's not on Apterous. No conky either.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Howie Myers wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:40 am r7 alt: CONKIEST
Howie, I think you still have the wrong dictionary. Alternatively, if you don’t have ODP, you can subscribe to Apterous.org (highly recommended BTW) and look up the word in Lexplorer in the top right of the page, which is extremely accurate. On Lexplorer, conky x, conkier x and conkiest x come up as invalid. You also have to bear in mind that Oxford’s dictionaries quite often lack comparatives and superlatives; there’s aren’t as many -IER/-IEST words as you’d might think, in other words. Comparatives and superlatives must be specified if an adjective’s head word has more than one syllable, as per Countdown rules. Not every verb goes with every prefix and suffix in ODP either (so words like undertie x and undertray x are no good). Checking on Apto/ODP beforehand saves you from suggesting invalid words on here and relying on others to verify (TBF a free checker would be nice). Hope this explains.

FTR, I tried stetson x in Round 1 but alas, it’s a trademark with a capital S.
Last edited by Philip A on Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Series 78 Runner-up
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Philip A wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:05 pm
Howie, I think you still have the wrong dictionary. Alternatively, if you don’t have ODP, you can subscribe to Apterous (highly recommended BTW) and look up the word in Lexplorer in the top right of the page, which is extremely accurate. On Lexplorer, conky x, conkier x and conkiest x come up as invalid. You also have to bear in mind that Oxford’s dictionaries quite often lack comparatives and superlatives; there’s aren’t as many -IER/-IEST words as you’d might think, in other words. Not every verb goes with every prefix and suffix in ODP either. Checking on Apto/ODP beforehand saves you from suggesting invalid words on here and relying on others to verify (TBF a free checker would be nice). Hope this explains.

On the other hand, others are happy to verify words, so if Howie doesn't want to fork out £15 quid for the pleasure, then that's no problem :)
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Apologies for the obsessive tone of the original comment. Just that it seemed it was valid and thought I’d help. On a separate note, Lexplorer on C4C should be a thing.
Series 78 Runner-up
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Well TCC's website can be used to check validity without paying a subscription - works best on a mobile, but useable with a bit of scrolling on a laptop

http://tcsquared.azurewebsites.net/cohost
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:14 pm Well TCC's website can be used to check validity without paying a subscription - works best on a mobile, but useable with a bit of scrolling on a laptop

Nice find! Thanks.
Series 78 Runner-up
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:14 pm Well TCC's website can be used to check validity without paying a subscription - works best on a mobile, but useable with a bit of scrolling on a laptop

Really wish I can click/tap on the words for them to bring me to their definition, think with Lexico gone, Tom's probably linked it to some pay-to-use OED site, which I can totally understand but wish I could scrounge up the cash for it.
One of da 'Muricans
Howie Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Howie Myers »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:10 pm
Philip A wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:05 pm
Howie, I think you still have the wrong dictionary. Alternatively, if you don’t have ODP, you can subscribe to Apterous (highly recommended BTW) and look up the word in Lexplorer in the top right of the page, which is extremely accurate. On Lexplorer, conky x, conkier x and conkiest x come up as invalid. You also have to bear in mind that Oxford’s dictionaries quite often lack comparatives and superlatives; there’s aren’t as many -IER/-IEST words as you’d might think, in other words. Not every verb goes with every prefix and suffix in ODP either. Checking on Apto/ODP beforehand saves you from suggesting invalid words on here and relying on others to verify (TBF a free checker would be nice). Hope this explains.

On the other hand, others are happy to verify words, so if Howie doesn't want to fork out £15 quid for the pleasure, then that's no problem :)
point taken. Thanks