My retirement

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Tom
Acolyte

My retirement

Post by Tom »

Sorry guys had a long think about this but I've decided to retire from Countdown at the end of this month like Julian did last year. Although my involvement in the last 5 years has been minor, and that I've only posted on here 20 or so times in the last year, I think its just time I tried to block it out completely. I have really enjoyed reading the recaps as a way of winding down after work and indeed watching as much of the C of C as I could and at the end of the last series and in particular watching people like Charlie, Junaid, Kai and all others in the C of C who I'm sure are very likeable characters in the flesh as much as they were on screen.

Also I'll take my hats off to the running of this website and the friendly atmosphere associated with it. I hope this continues and for anyone who has not yet appeared on the show I would strongly recommend it. Congrats also to everyone who took part in the C of C and congrats to Steven for winning it. Charlie, if you're reading, that performance in the SF was probably one of the best performances I've ever seen.

My main reasons for leaving are a combination of my heart just not being in it anymore and with it being a long long time ago. You never know I might come out of retirement one day but just want to leave my Countdown association as an integral part of the noughties.

Lastly, when I go back to my parents in just over a fortnight, providing I can find them and the VCR's still work, I will put up all the games in my Octochamp run on the historical recaps. If anyone has it, can I please have Julian's e-mail address? if anyone wants mine its tommycockles85@hotmail.co.uk

All the best guys! :)
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: My retirement

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's been good to see you around on and off for the last six or seven years and good luck with everything in the future. (It goes without saying that those who stay on the forum do not get wished good luck in any things they embark upon.)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote: (It goes without saying that those who stay on the forum do not get wished good luck in any things they embark upon.)
But you've just said it? Isn't that an oxymoron or a paradox or something?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: (It goes without saying that those who stay on the forum do not get wished good luck in any things they embark upon.)
I think the usual term is "lie".
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I've met you a couple of times now Tom, like on the train to COLIN 2005 when you went from Wakefield and me from Leeds (for those who don't know, those two are next to each other). I'll probably never see you again now. Ah well, all the best with whatever you decide to do - of course there's no reason for you to leave the forum just because you don't watch or play anymore.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

A long time ago, in a forum far, far removed from this one, I well remember a discussion as to whether your octochamp score was better than mine. (I thought it was.) It's a shame to lose one of the few people here I've actually met, but all the best for the future. Having said that, I have a feeling you've disappeared from the scene for a while before and returned. Countdown isn't easy to get out of your system, and it'll take an iron will not to dip in here once in a while. So au revoir.

David
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
What, what, what? I was wishing him good luck because he's leaving. Then my point was that he was only being wished good luck because he was leaving - if he'd stayed on the forum he would deserve no such luck, and the same goes for others who don't leave. It was a sort of joke.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

"I have a feeling you've disappeared from the scene for a while before and returned. Countdown isn't easy to get out of your system, and it'll take an iron will not to dip in here once in a while. So au revoir".

Had a think about that and I can't fully remember exactly what forums were functional 3 or 4 years ago so maybe I did disappear. True about the iron will - visited for the first time in a week and that's hard enough.

Its ok Martin you probably will see me again sometime soon, you live close to me (well 15 miles away, you live in Morley don't you?) and I've graced most places in West Yorkshire so you'll probably see me.

And lastly Gevin, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't enjoyed some of your input, even some of your tripe over the years has been somewhat entertaining. Take my advice and be a contestant!!
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Tom wrote: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:55 pm And lastly Gevin, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't enjoyed some of your input, even some of your tripe over the years has been somewhat entertaining. Take my advice and be a contestant!!
Take his advice and be a contestant! :)

(Someone should revisit this in 2033, and give Gevin another gentle nudge...)
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp