Taking Risks/Chances on Words

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Taking Risks/Chances on Words

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Think it might be a good post on the forum to talk about this kinda thing but given Tom's run, I felt like it would be interesting to talk about taking risks on words.

What's gone through your mind in terms of wanting to take a risk on a word you either can't remember if it was in, or just simply don't know? And how does it differ when you get chosen first/second to declare?

I wanna make this thread to not only go through events where we've risked things regardless of scoring or disallowment, but also hope to shape some habits of risking and give others some train of thought when they're in this kind of situation.
One of da 'Muricans
Ahmed M

Re: Taking Risks/Chances on Wordf

Post by Ahmed M »

Closely contested game: if they're better than you on letters and they're declaring first, you match them. If they're better than you on numbers, you go 1 large and try to keep it as tight as possible.

Trusting yourself on if a word is valid or not is literally just the amount of hours you put in the game. The best players are all around the top of the 'Most time played' list. I feel there's no proven shortcut for that.

edit: I was absolutely mangled when I made this comment
Last edited by Ahmed M on Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

Re: Taking Risks/Chances on Words

Post by Adam S Latchford »

Just think fuck it and see if it's in and rely that i'll pick off a numbers round later if it doesn't work... (then proceed to lose a numbers round)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Depends on when and what the score is and what part of the game you are in.

If it was the final letters round and I am 8 ahead with a dodgy 7 that I think my opponent won't spot then it makes sense to risk it. If the risk pays off you are no longer on for a crucial, and if the risk backfires you are still likely to be in the same position as your were before the round.

If it's round one of a game then I'm gonna play it safe, no matter who the opponent with. Against an average letters player I'm hoping to open up a lead on the rest of the letters rounds in the game, and against the like of Rob Conor Jack W, I'm aiming to minimise risks and keeping the game close enough to nick on a crucial.

But also, it depends on your own level and the level of the opponent. If you are an average player playing vs a Rob Conor Jack W, then you probably have a 97% chance of losing, so at some point you might as well risk a 9 to keep you in the game.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

My problem will be the age old Scrabblers problem on Countdown, risking Scrabble 7s and 8s
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:37 pm My problem will be the age old Scrabblers problem on Countdown, risking Scrabble 7s and 8s
Works both ways - scrabble club last week had EGILOT? in my rack.

Having been stung by RIGOLET before, I went for ALIGOTE. Got challenged off. So went for GOLDITE next turn. Got challenged off. Unsurprisingly lost the game.

LENTIGO and LOGIEST appear to be the plays that are valid in both. Tis a minefield - good luck!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:54 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:37 pm My problem will be the age old Scrabblers problem on Countdown, risking Scrabble 7s and 8s

Having been stung by RIGOLET before, I went for ALIGOTE. Got challenged off. So went for GOLDITE next turn. Got challenged off. Unsurprisingly lost the game.

LENTIGO and LOGIEST appear to be the plays that are valid in both. Tis a minefield - good luck!
A lot of very good Scrabblers refuse to go on Countdown as unlearning words is detrimental to gameplay
Craig Beevers refused his CoC place as he wanted to win the WSC, which to be fair, he did
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:59 pm

A lot of very good Scrabblers refuse to go on Countdown as unlearning words is detrimental to gameplay
Craig Beevers refused his CoC place as he wanted to win the WSC, which to be fair, he did
In a different year.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

The thing to do is whinge repeatedly and loudly about "it's good in [word game of preference]" when playing the other. It makes you very popular. ;)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:51 pm

In a different year.
I think he was studying for a good year and didn't want the distraction of the CoC to prevent him from winning